Hornby four wheel coach

Hi All Quick question how real is this coach just made up or based on a real coach ? I'm looking for something for a layout based on a light railway any help much appreciated. Chris

Hi,

From my understanding the coach is fictitious but was intended to 'look typical' of the type.

For use as you suggest there is little at all that looks wrong as the general sizing of details is totally convincing. Like the old Triang clerestory coach the four wheeler is a very good starting point for such builds.

I dont think you will be disatisfied with the results in any way.

Regards

They are not very accurate, as far as I know, but somebody else might know better. Proportion wise, they are more of a robust toy than a proper model.

Is your light railway based on a real one or freelance. I'd suggest these http://www.gwr.org.uk/proratio.html  (with a good article by Mikkel)

as a good starting point but the joy of a light railway is, I guess, that you can mix and match with whatever comes along, like the real thing!

It's been discussed a few times before as a quick search would show. The short answer is it bears no resemblance to anything. For the longer answer, see here and here.

Nick

It's been discussed a few times before as a quick search would show. The short answer is it bears no resemblance to anything. For the longer answer, see here and here.

Nick

Thanks for this my friend. That cut down by Richard looks the part will give that a go Cheers again

• RMweb Premium

I once converted one to a guards/parcel van. The body is window-door-w-w-d-w-w-d-w. Cut the body along the door lines into three sections w-d, w-w-d, w-w-d-w simply turn the middle section (w-w-d) round and glue together to make w-d-d-w-w-w-w-d-w. By cutting the door lines this also means that there is only one cut to fill unless you disguise it with a ducket. I made all the windows 'blank' just leaving the doors glazed. I made this conversion many years ago, unfortunately I no longer have the model to photograph.

Edited by PhilJ W

• RMweb Premium

Nick

Au contraire; as I keep mentioning in these threads it does bear resemblance to a Somerset and Dorset three compartment four wheeler. There were plans published many years ago in MRC (afraid I can't put my hands on the copy) and whilst the beading is a representation (presumably to aid the lining process) the body isn't too far off though the underframe isn't very good.

Edited by Neil
  • Like 1

Au contraire; as I keep mentioning in these threads it does bear resemblance to a Somerset and Dorset three compartment four wheeler. There were plans published many years ago in MRC (afraid I can't put my hands on the copy) and whilst the beading is a representation (presumably to aid the lining process) the body isn't too far off though the underframe isn't very good.

In that it has three compartments and four wheels, I suppose you might argue a resemblance to the first class No 1 but, frankly, that's as far as it goes. A photo of this coach appears in several books, e.g. Robin Atthill's The Somerset and Dorset Railway, Colin Maggs' Highbridge in its Heyday. Like the preserved four compartment No 4, it had wider double panels between compartments and wider panels between windows and ends. From this, I suspect the 'model' is somewhat too short.

Obviously, we have different views of what 'resemblance' means, Neil.

Nick

Resemblance or not to the real thing I enjoyed re working it and happy with the end result. Thanks Nick for putting me on the the right thead for the conversion. Just need to cut that coupling bar off and arrange something else less

Edited by chris bales

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Whilst sorting through a huge pile of magazines I came across this piece from Model Railways.

post-6793-0-33338500-1410790981_thumb.jpg

I believe that it's this carriage that the Hornby model is based on and that it's no coincidence that it first came out in S&D livery. Whether it's an acceptable resemblance I leave for each and everyone to judge for themselves. Though it's no finescale replica in the sense we would understand it today, this close to but not an accurate copy of, perhaps lends more credibility for the freelance light railway than something that's instantly recognisable.

• Like 2

• 5 years later...
On 15/09/2014 at 15:30, Neil said:

Whilst sorting through a huge pile of magazines I came across this piece from Model Railways.

post-6793-0-33338500-1410790981_thumb.jpg

I believe that it's this carriage that the Hornby model is based on and that it's no coincidence that it first came out in S&D livery. Whether it's an acceptable resemblance I leave for each and everyone to judge for themselves. Though it's no finescale replica in the sense we would understand it today, this close to but not an accurate copy of, perhaps lends more credibility for the freelance light railway than something that's instantly recognisable.

could you tell me what issue of the magazine? I'd like to get my hands of that drawing

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I notice the end of the prototype has plain boarding, no steps but the Hornby one has steps and handrails.

An end view of an early S&D carriage is in a photo in an OPC book and it is exactly like the Hornby one.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Shed82CB said:

could you tell me what issue of the magazine? I'd like to get my hands of that drawing

Sadly Shed, I've looked for the magazine but it looks like it hasn't survived one of my purges of old issues. However I might be able to narrow the search down a bit as a spot of googling has brought up this post on the forum .

• Like 1

16 hours ago, melmerby said:

I notice the end of the prototype has plain boarding, no steps but the Hornby one has steps and handrails.

An end view of an early S&D carriage is in a photo in an OPC book and it is exactly like the Hornby one.

Are you sure the plain boarding isn't just the other end? I would have thought one end or the other would have steps and handrail to the roof. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, sharris said:

Are you sure the plain boarding isn't just the other end? I would have thought one end or the other would have steps and handrail to the roof. 

Don't know, only one end is visible.

I assumed both ends would have steps.

• Like 1

Steps were needed to reach the oil lamps in the roof, but in a short vehicle such as this, one end could have been sufficient (or access from the adjacent vehicle).

Hornby's effect appears to have been shrunk slightly to fit the brake van underframe. In it's first (Tri-ang) incarnation, (inmetalation?) this was used under a MR design cattle truck and GWR design horse box and brake van and IIRC scales 20 feet. A three compartment carriage would probably have been a foot or two longer. (Scaling from the drawing (dodgy) it appears to be 22 feet over headstocks.

• Like 1

Cutting and shutting two to make a longer coach produces a reasonable result Obviously you'd have to source or build another chassis. I got round that problem by using the stretched vehicle as a grounded coach inspired by the one which used to grace the goods yard at Romford. Googling "Romford goods yard" will reveal what I mean.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1