Brinkly Works! Weathering and self-designed 3D printed models

Brinkly

• RMweb Gold

Nice work. I've not used the masokits sprung system. How much do they work out at?

Hi Andrew

They work out at £3.00 per set. I feel the great advantage is the setting jig bar, which comes in each set. I still use the Bill Bedford wheel base jig and a sheet of squared paper, but it does help. They also run at ridiculously high speeds over tight point work.

Kind regards,

Nick.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A pair of Opens and a Van!

Greetings to everyone, I thought it was about time to update my thread showing what little progress I have made since last time!

For Christmas Santa very kindly brought a box of railway related bits and bobs. In our family we don't write lists as such, although we are able to make suggestions! I know that these wagons came from the little model railway shop in Tavistock, Tavy Models, which is still going, albeit with much reduced stock.

O4 - Open A

Anyway first up are two Coopercraft GWR O4 Open A Wagons. Nearly 3000 of these wagons were build between 1901 & 1904 and although it is pushing it a bit, I expect a couple would have been about in the mid 1950s, so until I'm proved otherwise they're staying!

One will be converted from DC III brakes over the Morton, the other remaining in more original form. Both will retain their sheet rails and will be painted in very shabby grey, very heavily weathered.

The brakegear will be replaced from items from my bits box, with Masokits W-Irons, Lanarkshire buffers and Ultrascale wheels completing the build.

Coopercraft wagons can be a bit of a sod to build, but I've decided to scrap the solebar arrangement and am going to try a slightly different idea.

post-7376-0-94834000-1422804195.jpg

These are etched solebars, Morgan Design, available from the Scalefour Society, which I plan to use, coupled with other etched parts from the same designer.

This shows the state of play so far.

post-7376-0-18649000-1422804353_thumb.jpg

Body completed, with buffer plates removed.

post-7376-0-02710100-1422804362_thumb.jpg

Looks messier than it is! I've fitted the floor to the correct height and removed the webbing. I still need to use a small amount of wet & dry paper to clean it up fully, but you get the picture!

Next job will be to start the underframes, but I'll have to wait for the postman to bring the solebars!

V5

Again this van will be finished in a similar manner to the Open A wagons, BR grey livery and grim! I do have a photo showing a similar van at North Road, so this one is slightly more feasible! Just over 300 were built in 1902, so by the 1950s it would be coming to the end of its life!

post-7376-0-00711300-1422804684_thumb.jpg

Side on view of the V5.

post-7376-0-67701900-1422804692_thumb.jpg

The floor was too narrow, so a spacing strip of 20thou plasticard was placed in the gap. Once again the webbing has been removed.

The wagon will retain DC III brakes, built using a mixture of cast and etched parts.

More to follow soon.

Many thanks for looking.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Edit - Typo!

Edited by Brinkly
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Very impressed with what you've done / intend to do.

But, (and this is a question more than a criticism) , why is there so very little detail for the inside of the open wagon bodies ?  The outside has lots of strapping, hinges, etc., but not even the outline of the door appears on the inside.

• RMweb Gold

Very impressed with what you've done / intend to do.

But, (and this is a question more than a criticism) , why is there so very little detail for the inside of the open wagon bodies ?  The outside has lots of strapping, hinges, etc., but not even the outline of the door appears on the inside.

Thanks Stubby,

Yeah I thought that. I need to have a look at some photos of 25190, an O4 built in 1904 as part of lot 455 and see what improvements can be made. It still amazes me why the underframes and solebars are designed the way they are with these kits. Strikes me as such an odd way of doing it!

Regards,

Nick.

The floor was too narrow, so a spacing strip of 20thou plasticard was placed in the gap. Once again the webbing has been removed.

The wagon will retain DC III brakes, built using a mixture of cast and etched parts.

More to follow soon.

Many thanks for looking.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Edit - Typo!

Nick,

I have never seen any evidence that the V5 was ever built or modified with DC3 brakes. As far as I can see from the Lewis article in GWRJ (number 63), they retained DC1 brakes albeit with an extra lever fitted for your period. All the photos in the article support that too.

The Morgan stuff is nice to use. Although the instructions are a little wordy in places, they all go together accurately. The underframes are very nice and make a most pleasant change fom cobblings things up from bits and pieces.

Regards,

Craig W

Edited by Craigw

• RMweb Gold

Nick,

I have never seen any evidence that the V5 was ever built or modified with DC3 brakes. As far as I can see from the Lewis article in GWRJ (number 63), they retained DC1 brakes albeit with an extra lever fitted for your period. All the photos in the article support that too.

The Morgan stuff is nice to use. Although the instructions are a little wordy in places, they all go together accurately. The underframes are very nice and make a most pleasant change fom cobblings things up from bits and pieces.

Regards,

Craig W

Hi Craig,

in GWR Good Wagons (Atkins Beard and Tourret), on page 379 is is stated that the V5s were built with DC1, but during WWII "many vans had the DCI brake mechanism changed to the DCIII arrangement with right-hand either-side hand levers, but no additional brake shoes were fitted"

I haven't seen any photgraphic eveidence of this either, but on page 57 of the same book there is a photo of V5 69966 from 17 May 1950, showing that it had retained the DCI arrangement, but retrofitted with cross-corner fittings.

Apologies, if I'm just repeating what you said, but I wasn't sure what you meant by the "extra lever".

Best Regards,

ZG.

I'm not 100% but wouldn't the V5 van have been modified with twin bonnet ventilators by your time period?

Indeed, and this would also entail removal of the x-bracing and replacement with the later pattern of stantions. We might be able to find the odd example of x-braces surviving to a late date, but most had the ends modified in the twenties and thirties.

Nick

ps, there certainly were some cattle wagons that retained the x-bracing stype into the 1937 livery.

Edited by buffalo

• RMweb Gold

Nick,

I'm not 100% but wouldn't the V5 van have been modified with twin bonnet ventilators by your time period?

Hi Brian,

Yeah looking through the plan book it does appear to be wrong! So I'm going to convert it into a fruit van of sorts! There were a couple of articles in MRJ which I will use as a starting point. 

Whilst building it I thought it was probably pushing it a bit!

Regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

Question is, Nick, when do we see them at Horrabridge?

Brian

All in good time Brian! 

Hopefully track work will begin again over half term, now less than 2 weeks away!

Kind regards,

Nick. 

Nick,

The GWRJ article on the V% vans (issue 63) has photos of 6990... and 79018. The former has the later style twin bonnet end whilst the latter has the single vent and X bracing on the ends although the latter did seem to change to last strip over time. Both had been fitted with cross cornered DC1 so they still only had brakes on one side. They survived until 1957 and 1955 respectively. You could put a single bonnet on the end and make it the latter wagon if you have concerns.

If you don't have the series on GWR vans that john Lewis wrote, it really is brilliant and handy to have on the desk with you.

Regards,

Craig

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Class 122 Bubble Car

Greetings gents. I thought I would take a break from finishing a couple of wagons and work on a bit of motive power for the DRAG Bodmin project. The period for the project has been pinned on the summer of 1960, but with a couple of years either side of that date. I believe that 122 bubble cars were introduce in 1964 to work the new timetable, although I'm sure one might have appeared before that date. ;)

I managed to buy this model on ebay for the very acceptable price of £27.55! Right place at the right time.

Geoff (Sparky) completed a similar conversion on his EM gauge model and I must thank him for providing me with the EM gauge axles.

The Hornby model uses undersized wheels. Something I wanted to do was use the correct size wheels, with solid backs. The only option for this route is to use Black Beetle 12mm DMU wheels, with 2.5mm-2.0mm EM Gauge Society shouldered axles. You could use Ultrascale drop-in wheels, but the wheel size will be 1.5mm too small. 

post-7376-0-30898500-1429380501_thumb.jpg

In this picture you can see Black Beetle 12mm wheels, with the EM gauge society axles below.

First job was to dismantle the DMU chassis keeper plate and remove the wheels. I removed the wheels from the axles using my GW gear puller tool and then reassembled in a wheel press.

post-7376-0-49682700-1429380564_thumb.jpg

One axle in.

And...

post-7376-0-80329000-1429380654_thumb.jpg

One DMU up and running.

Before working on the lowering and general detailing, I thought I would give it a good blast on TT2 and it performed without fault, running very smoothly for a little under 3 hours.

I plan to lower the bogies by 1.5mm, remove the yellow warning panel and replace with whiskers, buffer beam detail, remodel the roof, fit new torpedo vents and remove the headcode box with the smaller 122 box. So quite a bit of work yet!

Anyway thanks for looking. Any comments, advice please say!

Kind regards,

Nick

• Like 7

Hi Nick, you could always update Horrabridge but I guess it would have to be after closure! I don't think there were any DMUs on the branch anyway but it might of been a good way to keep it open a bit longer.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick, you could always update Horrabridge but I guess it would have to be after closure! I don't think there were any DMUs on the branch anyway but it might of been a good way to keep it open a bit longer.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Yeah it probably will appear in the 1960 Horrabridge sequence. I know a couple of DMUs went on rail tours up the branch, but I believe most of those were 2-3 car sets. 

Regards,

Nick.