Brinkly Works! Weathering and self-designed 3D printed models

Brinkly

• RMweb Gold

Looks good,

I have two Bachmann ones on which I have removed the old hand rails but never got round to finishing with replacements (especially with 2 Hornby and 2 detailed Oxford Models arriving in the mean time)

Finishing it off for the price of an etch (and adding some different diagrams) sounds a sensible use of a part finished model

Nice to see you back, Nick, sorry about the circs but life is not all a bowl of cherries!  The trains are looking good, a far cry from my toy trains but I like your locale and follow along.  My youthful era was late GW and early BR, so that's where my interest lies in both model trains and the real thing.

I should be interested in your choice of carriages.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Brave of you to remove the moulded handrails on the Toad!

I do like the tiny etches to facilitate a handrail, I'd be interested in seeing this one in the flesh. Not sure I'm going to retro-fit my existing two OO Toads, and for P4 I've got one of the new Hornby ones.

The work on the panniers is very good and the RT Models sanding gear operating rods look good in place. I've got some of those to fit to further panniers and also some from another source. Beats making your own, anyway.

Have you tried thinning the sides of the cab steps, by the way?

One bit of constructive criticism, if I may, which is that the handles on the smokebox door on the prairie look a tad on the long side. Full marks for replacing the moulded ones, but those on the prairie remind me a bit of a Mexican with a droopy moustache!

Thanks to Rich for the information on the source of '3-D transfers' for smokebox door numbers. I've never been convinced of the need for relief on those, as the overwhelming image you see in photos is of white numbers on a black background and I've always used some old waterslide transfers to get that effect, even where etched ones have been provided along with the cab side number plates. I will, however, investigate this new source.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian,

Good to hear from you and thank you for your interest as awlays. I hope you are well. 

Carriage wise, the auto-workings to start with will be in the hands of a Bachmann Hawksworth auto trailer paired with a converted Airfix GWR coach during busier periods. I plan to turn the Airfix model it into an A28. For the earlier period (strict 1955 sequence), I would like to build an A26 and a Diagram P. Currently neither are produced in RTR form, but are available as etched kits. Cooper Craft now have the A26 etches and David Geen the Diagram P. I'm rather hoping that I can track down the David Geen kit as, apparently, he isn't in business anymore.  :(

The corridor sets will be based on photographs and any information that comes to light! Brian (Taz) has already identified a good number of ex GWR carriages working on the line and in the near future I'll work out what kits I need to acquire from various sources. I already have quite a few Hornby Hawksworths and their new Collett coaches. I might dig out the Airfix auto coach and detail that up soon.

Kind regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

Have you tried thinning the sides of the cab steps, by the way?

One bit of constructive criticism, if I may, which is that the handles on the smokebox door on the prairie look a tad on the long side. Full marks for replacing the moulded ones, but those on the prairie remind me a bit of a Mexican with a droopy moustache!

Thanks Tim. I will be brave and try and trim them down a bit! 

I will look into thinning the cab steps down too, I didn't think of that. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 1

Hello Nick,

Ref post 125 - "A few years ago Andrew (Ullypug) was demonstrating at RailWells and I have him to thank for the MRD replacement etch."

Do you know who made the etched handrail brackets or if they are still available?

Very nice work.

Gordon A

• RMweb Gold

Hello Nick,

Ref post 125 - "A few years ago Andrew (Ullypug) was demonstrating at RailWells and I have him to thank for the MRD replacement etch."

Do you know who made the etched handrail brackets or if they are still available?

Very nice work.

Gordon A

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your comment. They are still about here is your link. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

Good to see you modelling and updating again Nick! 

I liked the story of Bill's firing mistake. Suddenly the loco is more than just a 4mm model, and it also provides all sorts of excuses to break the normal operating routine. There's much to be said for good old human error  :)  

• RMweb Gold

Good to see you modelling and updating again Nick!

I liked the story of Bill's firing mistake. Suddenly the loco is more than just a 4mm model, and it also provides all sorts of excuses to break the normal operating routine. There's much to be said for good old human error :)

Thanks Mikkel, I've always enjoyed the social side of building a model railway. :-) Edited by Brinkly
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A parcel arrived from Model U this morning. Alan's products are excellent and his service is very efficient: I'm looking forward to fitting the whistle shield and crew to 4658. The grumpy guard will go in one of the brake vans.

post-7376-0-64006100-1535017014_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Greetings,

Over the bank holiday weekend, I had the opportunity to test my P4 wagon fleet on Rod and John's P4 model of the Ouse Valley Viaduct and Balcombe Station. This miniature slice of West Sussex will be something quite special once complete. I don't know the exact size of the layout, but the running lines are over a scale mile and when standing in the fiddle yard, trains appear very small in the distance! 

The weekend focused on testing track and pointwork, solving electrical gremlins and trialing proposed lighting rigging and fronting: I'm sure, once the dust has settled, that the gents will update their blog/thread with more information. 

For the first time for a while, probably a good 18 months or so, my P4 stock had a chance to stretch their legs. I must confess, since deciding to build Horrabridge in 00, my own enthusiasm for P4 had petered out a little and almost all of my stock remains semi-completed. 

This was the first goods train set up for testing, a Hornby Class 73 converted using Ultrascale wheels owned by Rod. The cattle wagons are some of the original Parkside kits which I built a couple of years ago. The other wagons are Bachmann, simply fitted with Ultrascale wheels: some have brass bearings added. The BR standard brake van is a Hornby model, converted to P4 using Alan Gibson wheels. It needs a lot of additional weight added to it, as came off the track a couple of times during shunting moves - no surprises though it weighs a mere 31g!

Here we see Rod's rather lovely class 47 hauling 28 four wheeled wagons (plus a brake van) into Balcombe Station heading towards Brighton. This stock is a mixture of sprung and ridged wagons, almost all of them have Ultrascale wheels. For sprung wagons, I prefer the Masokits system (please see early posts for further information) as each set of W-Irons are easy to make up and are provided with a setting jig. The ridged wagons are a bit of a mixture. Some have brass bearings fitted; others are just a simple wheel swap: all have had extra weight added, bar the brake van which remains 34g! 

Second view of the same train, now approaching the viaduct. 

This was one of the last workings of the day, a Heljan Class 33 (again one of Rods) converted using Ultrascale Wheels. During the course of the day I shunted this train over the cross over to run in the opposite direction. I then changed back onto the Brighton line, reforming the train. Everything stayed on the track, which was brilliant, and a credit to John's pointwork.

There are some niggles which will need addressing both with the layout and a couple of my trucks, which were behaving in a rather troublesome way, but it does prove that a, P4 works and b, it doesn't have to be a 4ft shunting plank. 

The layout is due to appear at a future Scaleforum, a lot requires finishing, including my stock. Initially, I plan to create two trains for the layout, one semi-fast, using most of the wagons seen in the videos and the a second smaller pick-up goods (8-14 wagons) with a suitable steam locomotive. A third parcel train is a possibility, but I'm not starting that until the two goods trains are finished. 

Anyway I hope you enjoy the videos, it gives a small taste of things to come. 

Best wishes,

Nick.

Edited by Brinkly
  • Like 12

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Auto workings on the Launceston Branch - Motive Power Part 1

As many of you know, Laira Depot had a fair few auto trailers for working the Saltash and Liskard local passenger workings. The majority of these workings where in the hands of numerous members of the 64xx class; although, a couple of 14xx locomotives were allocated to Laira too. 1408 and 1434 were regulars on the Launceston branch, but over different periods: I don’t know if they were both based there at the same time. 1408 certainly was at Laira in the early 1950s until her withdrawal in April 1958, with 1434 arriving in the late 1950s, presumably to replace 1408? A third locomotive, which worked the line in the late 1950s and early 1960s, was 1468; although, I only have a photograph of this engine at Tavistock South.

The majority of the stock running on the line, will replicate what was operating on the branch between 1958-1960. You can imagine my delight when I cam across the following photograph depicting 1434 in BR lined green with late emblem standing at Tavistock South with auto trailer W226W in plain crimson - perfect! Initially, I planned to replicate this train with my Airfix 14xx, Comet chassis and respective Hawksworth auto trailer kit, but with the new DJ model of the 14xx Class and Bachmann Hawksworth coach, I opted for the quicker route. (I’ve also been informed that the Comet coach kit, isn’t great.)

post-7376-0-79935800-1537207859_thumb.jpg

The short comings of the DJ Models 14xx have been mentioned extensively on another thread, so I won’t repeat myself; however, this is now the third example I have had from Hattons. Touch wood, this one seems to be alright. Its had a good 20 hours running in over several periods. This extensive running seems to have worked; although, in the long run I suspect I will build a Highlevel chassis to go under her. Body wise, the model is beautiful. The detailing is fantastic, and the livery application is probably the best I’ve seen on an RTR locomotive. The chassis is the wobbly point. It is such a shame as it could have been almost perfect: number plates, well we will leave that out!

As this model seemed to be behaving itself, I decided to perform a little light detailing. First of all, I change the smokebox number using Pacific Models sheet. I’m not totally convinced by this method and, as discussed earlier, will investigate alternatives for future models, but this method is simple and looks better than a wobbly transfer. As 1434 is a Laira locomotive, I fitted her with a Fox Transfers shed code. On some of my models, I fit an etched version of the shed code, but as this model already had a moulded code, I opted for the transfer. The next job was to replace the etched cab side plates. My preference is for Model Master (ex Jackson Evens) etched plates, I think they look excellent. I carefully fitted the plates over the top of the factory fitted numbers and left well alone. I used Impact Evo Stick for this purpose, applied to the model with a pin and a small amount to the rear of the plate. The replacement plate is slightly larger, so covers the original completely. I feel this small touch makes such a huge difference to the model.

One of the advantage of working from photographs is discovering little quirks. Fortunately, I have several photographs of 1434 showing both sides of the locomotive. In 1958 the engine ran in lined green with the later BR emblem; however, it must have been one of the early repaints as the lion was facing forward on both sides. Furthermore, the emblem was far further back compared with the original printed example. So a combination of cotton buds dipped in thinner and a final going over with a fiberglass burnishing brush removed the early BR emblem – such a shame, as the original was beautiful. Fox transfers were applied with warm water but set with Micro Sol after 24 hours. I would have used Micro Set, but for some reason I was only aware of the latter product! On the running plate, to my delight, extra lamp brackets! The Mainly Train etch was returned to the draw.

post-7376-0-35044100-1537207963_thumb.jpg

Late emblem in the correct place. 

post-7376-0-61125400-1537207991_thumb.jpg

Different angle, different colour!

post-7376-0-77242800-1537208032_thumb.jpg

Modifications to the smokebox.

post-7376-0-75131400-1537208059_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-11370200-1537208234_thumb.jpg

Posing with the crew, pre number plate!

The final touches before weathering were painting a suitable crew, these are from Model U and removable lamps from the same supplier. I sprayed the models with fine detailing primer from Tamiya and then painted the lamps with Vallejo acrylics. A good friend gave me a lot of Vallejo paints when he ended up with a duplicate set, they really are excellent to work with and I thoroughly recommend them. For box vans and wagons, I prefer enamel paints, but for futures, I like acrylics. The final job will be fitting a coupling hooks and buffer beam detailing: something for another day.

The next item 00 item to be completed will be the Bachmann auto trailer by adding some extra detailing. I also plan to populate with a few passengers, a guard and possibly a driver in the compartment end.

Thanks for reading.

Best wishes,

Nick.

Edited by Brinkly
  • Like 6

Hello Nick, good looking handiwork!  As you mention, one can learn a lot working from pictures and today was the first time I had seen a 1400T with lining all the way to the cab entrance.  I always imagined the cab was a separate entity in livery lining; never noticed it before!  Hope to see it soon at Horrabridge!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Nick for the top tips re: renumbering your 14xx.

Will most certainly crack on now with re-numbering my 1947 GWR Newton example from the same stable.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

As you say Nick, it is a beautiful looking model (at least above the running plate). 

With Hattons reducing the 14XX/58XX to £74, I've ordered two to depict 5810 and 5811. 5811 had a top feed so I've had to order a 14XX and I'll remove the autogear and lining in due course. I'm sort of expecting these to run no better than the previous ones and will be replaced with an etched chassis....but you never know they may run great!

Good to see someone else using Pacific Model front numberplates, they look the best in my opinion. Good to know Modelmasters will fit over the top! 

She's looking good so far Nick!

• RMweb Gold

P4 SR CCT Vans - Parkside Kits with Masokits Underframes

Greetings everyone,

This is the first decent modelling I've undertaken since the summer holidays. As many of you know, Rod & John's Ouse Valley Viaduct & Balcombe Station empire is attending Scaleforum this year and this looming deadline has acted as a bit of a spur to get on with a few jobs. 

In September 2015, I purchases a mixture of Parkside CCT and PMV kits with a view of making a parcel train for Rod & John. I put them in a draw with a view to building them at a later date and there they sat, not seeing the light of day for a little over 3 years!  Shame on me! I have to confess, I wasn't planning on building them yet, but certain events conspired against me! 

A couple of weeks ago, Rod asked if I'd be happy to build a one of his Parkside CCT kits, complete with a Masokits etched chassis. I agreed, as I do enjoy building rolling stock. On Saturday, I caught up with Maurice - bear with me! He has decided to focus his modelling time on his S Scale home layout and a small 2mm finescale layout, capable of fitting inside a really useful box. I came away from Maurice's workshop with some books and a box of P4 SR CCTs! So  I decided to make a start on my now huge collection of SR CCTs! 

Over the past two days, I've built 5 CCT bodies and part-built 3 Masokits sprung chassis kits (two of which came un-built from Maurice). I decided fairly early on, not to remove the molded door and grab handles, simply as I don't think one would would notice the extra detail from normal viewing distances. When all is said and done, these vans are going to spend 99% of the time trundling around the layout at 30+ mph and one highly detailed van isn't going to cut it, when multiple items of stock are required! Pragmatism!  In an ideal world, I'd like to get the first trio completed over the weekend - certainly ready for painting - with a view to painting one sunny and dry weekend before the Easter holiday. 

To prevent the vans from warping, I have fitted two partitions inside using 20thou plasticard. I've also fitted LMS buffers and roof vents. One of the vans won't have vents, recreating a CCT seen at Exeter circa 1960. So I'll have to re-fill the nicely drilled holes! D'Oh moment. 

IMG_0560.jpg.0715d1be52556a49c247845ef7a3e632.jpg

Smiths screw-link couplings, LMS vacuum pipes, Roxey window etches will complete the basis build for the quintuple! 

Below are some of the photographs showing the progression of the chassis kits. I must apologies in advance, as the soldiering is a little messy in places. The tip of the iron has almost had it. 

IMG_0561.jpg.6a59f45c71c0d376db0c39c74b907f5d.jpg

One rather nice packet!

IMG_0562.jpg.212b67e4687aeb664973820179896a4d.jpg

This is what you get for £12 from Masokits. One point to note is the builder has to remove the brake hangers on the ends of the etch as these are incorrect. 

IMG_0539.jpg.5fe1310d2788078f6fe541065d69a9d6.jpg

Here is one of the first etches nearing the bearing fitting stage: note the guitar wire threaded through the tiny holes! 

IMG_0540.jpg.a592cb9a4861d1121fb29a3ec11d61c7.jpg

Different end of the chassis.

IMG_0537.jpg.2f008f75077ae25b8c9fd2742592a6b9.jpgIMG_0538.jpg.c449562de8c0fc2c5791c15f61d559d1.jpgPair of bearing carriers. A tiny amount of solder is required here. 

IMG_0544.jpg.5cd5e7cf900c82b5f0de8d9e96e34e7b.jpgWheels in. In this case a set of Keen Maygib. 

IMG_0549.jpg.deed4f487b7d864fd09ad89f80c0694d.jpgBrakes and yokes fitted - incredibly fiddly!

IMG_0566.jpg.d8a2232764eb9f5b9b90d3566079defb.jpg

The trio nearing completion. The one in the foreground is fitted with Black Beetle wheels.

I've already part built (roughly to the same state as these) an exsisting chassis, which runs beautifully on both TT2 and Balcombe, so I'm confident this batch should run just as well as my standards have improved significantly since 2010! 

Anyway, hopefully another update tomorrow. 

Thanks for looking and any comments are most welcome. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6