Brinkly Works! Weathering and self-designed 3D printed models

Brinkly

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tim, I enjoyed making them and learnt a lot. I have a few other items of stock I'd like to build, quite high on the list is a plywood version of the GWR box van and the LMS design, but BR built, cattle wagon. 

IMG_0105.JPG.f45955b9348377c4136472403e97573f.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG.a783342982d7128b2aa97c825dee3d11.JPG

I think Geoff Kent built the cattle wagon in his second book. 

Regards,

Nick

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

So what's with the new avatar then, Nick?

'No more Mr Nice Guy?' :P

I thought it was time for a change! Been reading far too much of the late Mr Fleming's work! ;):D

:triniti:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone, 

Over the past two weekends, I've painted most of the stock I built over the Easter holiday. Maurice Hopper very kindly let me use his pair of Iwata airbrushes - 1 single and 1 dual action - which has convinced me that airbrushing is the best way of painting a wagon: the finish is beyond anything I can paint with a brush and I am reasonably competent with a brush!

The session also provided some interesting thoughts on which primer I will use in the future. Something I found, is the finish is far finer using the Games Workshop primers than using Halfords rattle cans. Don't get me wrong, Halfords primers are alright, but the finish seems much nicer on the wagons sprayed with Mechanicus Standard Grey. From now on, I only plan to prime my models using Games Workshop products. They are about the same price; however, the finish is far superior. 

I also learnt that Precision paints are a joy to work with, such lovely enamel paint: thoroughly recommended!

image1.jpeg.5a769d553edb5645d36a43ba861ff093.jpeg

This photo was taken last weekend over at Hopper Towers. 

I'll upload a nearing completion photo later. yesterday afternoon and earlier this morning, I painted the chassis and roofs. 

I'll complete the lettering over the coming weeks.

Thanks for reading. 

Nick

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Brinkly said:

Maurice Hopper very kindly let me use his pair of Iwata airbrushes - 1 single and 1 dual action - which has convinced me that airbrushing is the best way of painting a wagon: the finish is beyond anything I can paint with a brush and I am reasonably competent with a brush!

Out of interest, Nick, which of those two brushes did you prefer?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Out of interest, Nick, which of those two brushes did you prefer?

Hi Simon,

Both of them were good in different ways. The single action Iwata, which was very similar to this model, was very good for block colour. Once the flow was correct, which was very easy to adjust, it gave a very good, flat layer. I'm seriously thinking of getting one myself.

The duel action was also easy to use, but I feel I only scratched the service with it. Again, block colour application was good, but I think it would be ideal for weathering. 

Regards,

Nick.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Both of them were good in different ways. The single action Iwata, which was very similar to this model, was very good for block colour.

Stubby little fellow, isn't he? Interesting to hear your comments. I'm almost tempted to suggest that any Iwata airbrush is going to be a good bet.

10 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

The duel action was also easy to use, but I feel I only scratched the service with it. 

I think it would be ideal for weathering. 

You are entirely correct, a good dual-action airbrush will allow you to vary the amount of paint you deliver to the model with much precision.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One set of painted vans. The roofs have been painted using two shades from the Precision range: P131 BR Roof Grey & 81 Dirty Black. The chassis were painted using Revell 302 black. 

IMG_1367.jpg.d1f4f524635e4a7f794bc52c9bbf7290.jpg

Hopefully I'll start to letter the wagons over the coming weeks, with a view to getting them finished by half term. 

I want to get the CCTs & PMVs finished next. 

Regards,

Nick.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, iak said:

The muse appears to be with you... :dirol_mini:

Yes, the Gods (Sun, Productively and Motivation!) are certainly aiding work with the fine weather we had over the weekend! 

Regards,

Nick

Nick, it's so good to see that you have been displaying your talents, and in public too.  I ought to be able to emulate your progress, particularly where the SR parcels vans are concerned, for do I not have a tottering pile of oxidising underframe etches originated by Masokits?  As some will know, I have had confidence issues for far too long and even the cunning plan of making a public declaration that a certain model WILL be built has so far failed to have the desired effect.   It's my problem and I need to get it fixed, but feel free to say "Oh, just get on with it".   Hang on: my cousin has already tried that.  Seriously though, well done!

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 5

On 21/04/2019 at 10:14, Brinkly said:

Thanks Tim, I enjoyed making them and learnt a lot. I have a few other items of stock I'd like to build, quite high on the list is a plywood version of the GWR box van and the LMS design, but BR built, cattle wagon. 

IMG_0105.JPG.f45955b9348377c4136472403e97573f.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG.a783342982d7128b2aa97c825dee3d11.JPG

I think Geoff Kent built the cattle wagon in his second book. 

Regards,

Nick

Damn I remember taking that photo of B891054 back in 2012... certainly don't look like that clean now.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

I stripped a Bachmann MK1 BG yesterday and sprayed it using Halfords Burgundy Red. Unfortunately, I ended up with orange peel on the first attempt. 

The second attempt took place this morning. It still isn’t perfect, but I think once it is weathered and in service, I don’t think it will be very noticeable. 

I’ve decided that I am going to airbrush all stock from this point: the finish is much better than brush or rattle can. Still I had a go! 

Lining needs to be applied. Evening homework this week. 

C61CF9DF-9987-4E92-A2D0-86283610E3B7.jpeg.5fa8008a645e563eecf0fe93eae72462.jpeg

7FCC7053-935F-461C-B118-834218956C79.jpeg.ede91b7721b24011b990135060a4b462.jpeg

Any comments are most welcome! 

Kind regards,

Nick

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Brinkly said:

Lining needs to be applied. Evening homework this week. 

Yes. Get on with your homework, my friend!

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Brinkly said:

********!

Seriously Nick, I have found through bitter experience that the use of rattle cans for the 'top coat' have always resulted in an unsatisfactory finish. I found them uncontrollable compared to the fine adjustments possible with the airbrush. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

That’s a real shame 

I have generally found the Halfords cans very easy to get a very good finish, sometimes too good in that it shows up the imperfections too much!

Then I sprayed a Grange  with Simons acrylic varnish,  which on one side resulted in a very rough orange peel finish.  Certainly seems that rattle cans are a lot higher risk 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Re6/6 said:

********!

Seriously Nick, I have found through bitter experience that the use of rattle cans for the 'top coat' have always resulted in an unsatisfactory finish. I found them uncontrollable compared to the fine adjustments possible with the airbrush. 

And a very good morning to you too @Re6/6 :D ;) :P

As a result of the weekend's painting, I will be purchasing a decent airbrush and compressor! I know some people get an excellent finish with a rattle can, but even doing 'everything right' the second time, hasn't produced that much of a better finish. 

I got on very well when I used @Maurice Hopper Iwata airbrush to paint the wagons with. This has totally convince me that it is the right route. I admire the likes of @Tony Wright who use car aerosol paints and get very good finishes with it! 

Next job will be to actually commit and buy one! 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Such BGs were often in a fairly grubby state, Nick, so a decent weathering mix, applied with your new airbrush, seems to be the ticket here.

If you use enamels for your weathering mix, you have the major advantage of being able to wipe most of them off (leaving grubby bits in the nooks and crannies) and then applying a further coat. Alternatively, if you don't like what you've done, it's much easier to wipe all the enamels off and start weathering again, PROVIDED you don't leave it more than about a day after the initial air brush coat, as by then, the enamels will have gone hard.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/07/2019 at 11:20, Brinkly said:

As a result of the weekend's painting, I will be purchasing a decent airbrush and compressor!

Please let us know how you get on with it Nick. I have tested a number of rattle cans by now and only two brands seem to be reasonably reliable. And then you have to hope they have the colour you need in their range!

I like your improvised spraying booth by the way :)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/07/2019 at 10:20, Brinkly said:

I know some people get an excellent finish with a rattle can

I my experience, Halfords primers (white, grey and red oxide) are usually pretty reliable, if used correctly, in terms of giving good, even and smooth coverage.

I also rate their Matt Black, which actually comes out semi-matt and I'd probably not use anything else for any model railway application that needs to be painted black, including black locos, wagon underframes etc. (in fact, I've only just sprayed the underframe of the Martin Jones Ceremonial Free Box Van this evening).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1