Brinkly Works! Weathering and self-designed 3D printed models

Brinkly

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for your comments everyone. I meant to put these in the last post. 

These are rather crude close ups, but it might help anyone else tackling this as a project. 

IMG_4664.jpg.c5efc8d8936425303e84c71d116e8216.jpg

This is the first/third.  MK1 interior really, but we won't tell anyone!

IMG_4665.jpg.2e9fd87ae04ccd6a7548cf6ceec78d8f.jpg

Just third class seating here. You can see why it is easier to remove the end arm rest - it isn't missed, as it cannot be seen once the body is on.

IMG_4666.jpg.c798594fbb962eb5e18fdfdf7b9b3d6b.jpg

Paneling. One is a bit wobbly, but again, it can't be seen! I have checked!

IMG_4654.jpg.9c40c2bd9a82ff01f0a2b497dd754138.jpg

The four packs from Alan's 'seated' range.

IMG_4661.jpg.8df624a44237a370e292e6849f11afd5.jpg

IMG_4662.jpg.270be31d6c49446e92137aeb568495db.jpg

I'm looking forward to painting them tomorrow. I think I'm going to try a dark primer and test some new techiques.

Cheers,

Nick.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening Brinkers. 

Top stuff as always. 

As a final touch,I would recommend a polish of the coach sides with a good quality car polish applied using a cotton bud. 

It will provide a nice finish. 

Rob.  

Thanks for the reminder, Rob. I used T-Cut on an LMS full brake years ago and it did look good. That one runs on Balcombe now. 

33 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Just come to this thread Nick as I was tempted in by the Maunsell P Set banner. You have made a great job of enhancing the innards. Very aspirational to us SR chaps (well me anyway), and it looks relatively simple which pleases me also.

Other work right back from the start of the thread, is inspirational, especially the Wagons/Vans. I usually just manage the LMS Buffer replacement, some of those little stickers and chalky Decals and a bit of weathering. Seeing what you have added to items tells me I know little about Wagons and Vans and need to get some good reference materials.

So thank you for some inspiration. I love just pottering around with stock and the occasional loco' but 'fear' painting anything 'seriously' such as a green loco with lining and that sort of think (e.g a Bulleid Pacific). Maybe one day I shall take the plunge. Black engines, no problem!

So glad that things are OK with you and yours and the usual suspects posting on here. I could have finished my layout during the last two months, maybe even should have, but...….

All the very best and I look forward to further inspiring works.

Sincerely, Phil (Mad Duck).

You're too kind, Mr Quakers! Geoff Kent's three books on wagons are brilliant. I also have the late John Hayes' 4mm Coal Wagon book too. Photos are good to work from too.

21 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Those seats and interiors are exquisite, Nick. I can just see myself having a good nap in the corner on the last train home (known as 'the boozer' on some branches I believe!).

I know the SR were slow, but that's a bit excessive :D

:D 

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

That's unfortunate and seems quite an extreme thing for you to have to do, are you sure you can't dismantle the gearbox and start again?

I have some spare steel rod if you need some (ie. that which the gears rotate on).

An encounter in a public park at 2 metres distance (each bring their own thermos) could be offered if further information is required.

I've taken the box apart twice and it just isn't right. Its only (hate saying it like that) a Comet 38:1, so not that smooth. I haven't ordered anything yet, as I have a spare Highlevel box which I might have a go at building at some point in the near future. 

Still, we could always meet up for a 2m discussion! 

• Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Still, we could always meet up for a 2m discussion! 

I can just picture it !

gettyimages-74181447-612x612.jpg.ef3693f8fa8e8f42c83037b699755410.jpg

G

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Very nice work, 

what did you use for the seat coverings, just regular paper?

looks a lot better up close than my coat of an approximate mix of Vallejo acrylics.  (Though I suppose those windows are a fair bit larger than a lot of the gw windows.)

I will have to give it a go on the next coach rake to make it to the workbench. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Very nice work, 

what did you use for the seat coverings, just regular paper?

looks a lot better up close than my coat of an approximate mix of Vallejo acrylics.  (Though I suppose those windows are a fair bit larger than a lot of the gw windows.)

I will have to give it a go on the next coach rake to make it to the workbench. 

Thanks, Rich. 

Just regular printer paper; although, the version undertaken by the local printer is clearer and the colours are more vivid, so I will get another lot printed off in due course. 

I did paint some MK1 interiors with Vallejo paints and didn't have any problems them. Granted, I don't think the colour scheme is quite right! 

IMG_2019.jpg.1596395e06a9826a884e8544641b5e1d.jpg

The interiors had a light dusting of Workshop Mechanicus Standard Grey Primer, with Vallejo 'Buff' for the main compartment colours and I mixed the red from Prussian Blue and Flat Red I think. 

IMG_4276.jpg.1022f7b1bbd4515ae1541a1dab70cb7a.jpg

Same colour scheme in the open second. 

IMG_2023.jpg.cae52d515fb2e900d2bf24a012483c62.jpg

The carriage photos are from the rather nice Sankey range - glue used was Aleene's Original Tacky Glue, which is very good PVA. 

I completed these last summer - all painted with Vallejo products. I found a wet pallet was the best way of using them. Several thin coats also helped; applied with a Windsor Newton 1/8th flat brush, or a Games Workshop Base brush, which has a slight angle - very good for cutting in with. 

412CtQvxaaL._SL1024_.jpg.0f3eb12b0f999b806233bfddc897cb0a.jpg

I do like this brush!

Hope that is of some help. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Today, I started preparing the Modelu figures for the P-Set. 

Ten were primed in black and the other ten in a mid grey. I wanted to test a few techniques, and understand that a black base colour is good for shadowing. 

The figures aren't finished yet, but I thought I would share progress so far. Please excuse my workbench; it is a little cluttered. :blush:

IMG_4688.jpg.7975a539996b65225b55296188accc75.jpg

Primed and then flesh colours underway in this picture. I used Vallejo Light Flesh (928) followed by Basic Skin Tone (815).

IMG_4693.jpg.54e622c612f09baea368e4079090726b.jpg

Selection of dull and slightly more colourful clothing. Horrabridge will be set in the mid to late 1950s, so nothing too jazzy!

IMG_4695.jpg.8ab01c5159c2a20579ab296cc544fb93.jpg

Very crude closeup, but some of the more advanced figures. 

I used Windor Newton Series 7 Kolinsky Brushes, O, OO and OOO for these. All need a little touch-up in places, and a light wash will be applied to bring out some of the details. 

Best wishes,

Nick.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I will have a look for a suitable material to print and have a go when I do my next batch of coaches.

I do think the Kitmaster interiors are worth working with. Do you have a set, Rich? 

9 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Just regular printer paper

4 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I will have a look for a suitable material to print and have a go when I do my next batch of coaches.

Please excuse the intrusion chaps, some while ago whilst scratch building this coach in 7mm I made good use of some self adhesive labels through my HP printer and stuck them directly onto the seats I'd had made. Perhaps its worth considering ?

DSCF8134.jpg.d67df52807b9b066cad6608a5f29b667.jpg

G

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, bgman said:

Please excuse the intrusion chaps, some while ago whilst scratch building this coach in 7mm I made good use of some self adhesive labels through my HP printer and stuck them directly onto the seats I'd had made. Perhaps its worth considering ?

DSCF8134.jpg.d67df52807b9b066cad6608a5f29b667.jpg

G

That is rather nice, sir! And what a good idea. That would save faffing about with the glue. 

The floor looks very realistic; how did you do it?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, bgman said:

p.s. The flooring is also printed on the same labels, not that you'll ever see it now !

G

You have answered my question in the previous post! Very good stuff, Graham. 

• Thanks 1

The seat pattern was taken directly from a photograph I'd taken whilst on a trip at the South Devon Railway on an Autocoach, suitably reduced before printing.

G

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

I know CPL produce 7mm  printed upholstery, which looks rather nice. I've ordered some of their 4mm range to play about with. 

The range looks rather good Nick, I saw some at Bristol O Gauge show and if it works in 7mm then it should be fine in 4mm.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I can't believe it has been well over a year since I posted anything on here... 

So, first of all, this year has been a bit of a write-off so far. I ended up being admitted to Derriford for 10 days back in April with what turned out to be a gallbladder infection (packed with stones and a couple of cysts) and a trio of stones stuck in the common bile duct and liver, causing awful pain and jaundice. Two further stays in Derriford between then and June led to the sodding thing being removed. It has been a tricky recovery, as I've had a ton of nerve damage to contend with and learning what foods I can and can't eat anymore. Modelling has been something that I've done, but just not that often as I felt really unwell for quite a long time. 

However, the mojo has returned and I've been looking at completing some little projects. 

First of all, a few long-term things have been finished (well pretty much finished). A trio of steel mineral wagons have been completed: these are Bachmann repaints, converted to P4 using Ultrascale wheels. 

9373A1F6-2DBE-4A0A-8178-CEFA4B0D9AAC.jpg.5bfe7f3f065494ab575d57e71e3da7ad.jpg

IMG_2020.jpeg.0c18000a2f72dfbf7a4c557cb6e2dd13.jpeg

Some other wagons also underwent weathering over the summer. 

A Bachmann SR brake van, again converted to P4 using Ultrascale wheels, underwent some airbrush weathering. I used a limited pallet of colours from the Precision range, coupled with some Ammo by Mig pigments. 

IMG_1291.jpg.f173196e85000b8d9d4a0391dfa53258.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg.4f89fe99867b8f1a40a61f853c750b42.jpg

Lastly, a SR CCT (P4 again) had a bit of a refurb with new cast buffers and some light weathering. 

D211B94D-A397-4B8E-9DDD-F441753617FE.jpg.d7bc4d0204de19314e07891e545e2642.jpg

More to follow shortly...

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

2 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

the mojo has returned

Ahh ! One of my childhood favourites.......be very careful though, they do get stuck in ya teeth !

5b6a8f74d78516cd557bfb61df6c68fe.jpg.67cf41a3f3f3176a10778e46cf608e7f.jpg 

Keep it up looking very good ! 

(You know who )

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Something else I've been working on with a close friend, is producing some 3D printed models. 

This was one of the early prototype models for our GWR 8ft x 6ft lamp hut. This first model was full of errors (I blame Matt!) but it was a good exercise in learning what we could actually produce on CAD and print. This model now is part of Conor's (Matt's son) Brio trainset: I just need to convert him over to rugby now... 

IMG_2044.jpg.40b4df450e35bc83a0a080334449d7f2.jpg

The door was waaaaay to big, as were the corrugations but it proved what we could achieve. I painted the hut using Precision colours and weathered it to look fairly run down. 

IMG_2045.jpg.010345b67f37099b0bf4391b2729adae.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg.613af91ef24513ce000db862bd74a6f3.jpg

The updated (and far more accurate) model is shown below. 

894238870_Lockup1.jpg.6dd6e72a12b30a369fb6d86e7949531c.jpg687953385_Lockup2.jpg.0c3df2a0a077da141c24725b8fcd0bb5.jpg1204297409_Lockup3.jpeg.b5080ec49e9fe54979064acc3b347896.jpeg1671730994_Lockup4.jpeg.32f6340a38364ea14c14e3050f54c2be.jpeg

There are a few things to tweak; however, we are really pleased with what we have produced. We are hoping to sell these on in 2, 4 & 7mm scales (4mm first) fairly soon. More information can be found here

We have also produced our own 10-gallon milk churn, which again we are hoping to sell shortly. 

431248278_10GallonTotnesChurns.jpg.f1b99c09afa3adac5a856b7124a66100.jpg

I'd be interested in seeing what people's thoughts are! 

All the best,

Nick.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

I'd also just like to say thank you to everyone who sent messages to me over the past few months: it really has meant a great deal. I really did appreciate it. Good bunch of b***ers on here!

All the best,

Nick.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• Brinkly changed the title to Brinkly Works! Weathering and self-designed 3D printed models
  • RMweb Gold

Good to hear that you are back in business Nick, both figuratively and literally. Best wishes for a continued recovery.

The new venture sounds exciting, and that lamp hut looks good. I like the limited overhang of the roof, which tends to be exaggerated in some other models I've seen. Nice colouring of the test version too. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 27/10/2021 at 15:28, Brinkly said:

I can't believe it has been well over a year since I posted anything on here... 

So, first of all, this year has been a bit of a write-off so far. I ended up being admitted to Derriford for 10 days back in April with what turned out to be a gallbladder infection (packed with stones and a couple of cysts) and a trio of stones stuck in the common bile duct and liver, causing awful pain and jaundice. Two further stays in Derriford between then and June led to the sodding thing being removed. It has been a tricky recovery, as I've had a ton of nerve damage to contend with and learning what foods I can and can't eat anymore. Modelling has been something that I've done, but just not that often as I felt really unwell for quite a long time. 

You have my sympathy, having spent 6 weeks in Hotel Trelisk during July and most of August with a perforated bowel I encountered several chaps on the ward who had suffered similarly to you, some who had been transferred from Derriford for surgery etc. Made some good friends too, keep in touch with a couple of "inmates" and will pop in to the Stag Inn St Austell next time I'm down that way as the landlord there was in the bed next to me for quite some time too.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

As I cannot find 99% of the photos from this thread, I've decided to start a fresh one.

If anyone is interested, the new thread is located here. Perhaps @AY Mod you could lock this one, please? 

Best wishes,

Nick.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• AY Mod locked this topic