Brinkly Works! Weathering and self-designed 3D printed models

Brinkly

• RMweb Gold

Hello, 

I've posted this on the 16t Mineral Wagon Thread but thought I would share this on here too. 

Back in the summer, I weathered up a set of steel mineral wagons. I used Ammo by Mig products. 

IMG_2741.jpg.f61f96961a26ee927fa5f7035925ede7.jpgIMG_2742.jpg.e10dce607f57a2d8f8a73a66ab7c18df.jpgIMG_2743.jpg.db901e38cd7b9a368f5ad11fb331c19c.jpg

Full report over there!

Regards,

Nick.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Greetings,

Now that Scaleforum has been and gone, I've turned my attention back to 00 modelling. I'll post some of my work tomorrow (off out in a bit). However, I've spent an hour or so this afternoon making a file holder. 

I hate not being able to find things quickly and decided that I needed a more cleverly designed workbench! This being one of the small first steps! 

Nothing very complicated: essentially plasticard tubing (about 15mm in diameter) cut to slightly different lengths, glued to a plastic base, which fits inside a mug! 

1551303194_Swissfileholder.jpg.0f3145dfdbdaa8e3dcfbf442e4978c30.jpg

Bit crude on the bottom, but we won't tell anyone! :pardon_mini:

2104827517_Fileholderinsideacup.jpg.ec95b0e98d3f4ba0e0d52520db6aeec1.jpg

It has already made life significantly easier! No more rummaging around for the correct file!

More tomorrow!

Nick.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Brinkly said:

Greetings,

Now that Scaleforum has been and gone, I've turned my attention back to 00 modelling. I'll post some of my work tomorrow (off out in a bit). However, I've spent an hour or so this afternoon making a file holder. 

I hate not being able to find things quickly and decided that I needed a more cleverly designed workbench! This being one of the small first steps! 

Nothing very complicated: essentially plasticard tubing (about 15mm in diameter) cut to slightly different lengths, glued to a plastic base, which fits inside a mug! 

It has already made life significantly easier! No more rummaging around for the correct file!

More tomorrow!

Nick.

I've done something similar for drill-bits using plastic tubes that some tablets come in. I'd got fed up with the boxes drills normally come in not opening when I wanted them to, and the converse. The tubes sit in holes in a base made of some scrap hardwood. If anyone wants to try this, I've gots loads of small tubes.....

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Brinkly said:

Bit crude on the bottom, but we won't tell anyone! 

images-30.jpeg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Funny 2

On 03/11/2019 at 04:21, Brinkly said:

Greetings,

More tomorrow!

Nick.

What a great idea for storing brass sections.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jrg1 said:

What a great idea for storing brass sections.

Yes! That is my next job! I made some up years ago to store 0.45 wire etc. But that diameter tube would be ideal for strips of brass. Cut a slither of plasticard to shape and stick it in the bottom of the tube and you would be away!

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Pardon me for hi-jacking, but I thought I'd share my latest (desk) tool tidy with you all:

20191110_104700.jpg.1edc08e3b81cbb40ab4d9e62cf54a0af.jpg

20191110_110626.jpg.8ca4edfe1e4b34ca138a8db09045723f.jpg

That is rather nice. I do hope you will be converting it to P87 in due course CK... ;) 

• RMweb Gold

Greetings,

No modelling as such in this post: apologies if you were looking forward to seeing something new! 

I spent a couple of hours this morning servicing some of my older, childhood, models. I had planned to finish off the Comet MK1 BG. However, a rather nasty chest infection put pay to that. Feeling a little more human and not wanting to waste my weekend, I thought I would dig out some treasured childhood possessions in the form of some older Hornby models. Most of these locomotives haven't run since 2005 when left school and went to university. 

While cleaning them, plenty of memories came flooding back. Its funny because I had completely forgotten 'playing' with these models until today. Now I appreciate that I'm only in my early 30s, but 2000 was almost 2/3 of my life ago! 

IMG_3249.jpg.5bf4f7eb285a78250bafd3e4ee4b11f8.jpg

Evening Star was the first model to come out of the box. I received this model either as a birthday or Christmas present in 2000. I know that as it was the Fortieth Anniversary edition model and I remember spending hours pouring over the pages of the 2000 catalogue willing mum or dad to pick up on my hints!  Evening Star used to haul either my fully fitted box van train, or a rake of maroon MK1 stock being the internal regional working on my old layout. The model became quite a poor runner and today I discovered why. One of the electrical pick-up wires had split. A suitable replacement was fitted, coupled with a good clean and the locomotive now works again. Success! 

4097 Kenilworth Castle was next in the batting order. This was a 2001 Christmas present. I remember seeing this model several times in one of the display cases in Antics in Plymouth and really wanting it. On the run-up to Christmas, as a family, we used to go into Plymouth one Saturday and purchase the Christmas bits and bobs. I remember returning to the cabinet, longing for the model to still be there. It was! However, I remember being quite indigent when Dad then whisked me out of the shop on the pretense of getting bits for mum. Mum was left behind, not that I noticed! I remember unwrapping the model on Christmas morning and being like a dog with two tails. Not only had I got the model I'd really wanted, but it even had some coaches too! A set of Chocolate and Cream MK1s from Grandma. Bliss!

A good clean got her going again.  

4093 Dunster Castle was another Christmas present in 2003. I did, and still do, love the Castle Class engines. This was the last Christmas gift from my Grandma. She died the following year. Its funny the sentimentality a piece of plastic has, but while cleaning the motor this afternoon I thought how precious this toy is. It doesn't just have the memories of playing with it, but also the memory of her. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks like this!?  

The last one lurking at the back, is a Dapol County. This came from the Dapol Centre, being 'ex layout stock'. We went to Dolgethly Dolgellau on holiday and visited the Llangollen Steam Railway, coupled with a visit to the Dapol Centre in the summer of 2002. Having looked at the layouts and the Dr Who exhibition, we ended up in the shop. Much to my delight and then horror (I'd already spent all of my pocket money in the Llangollen model railway shop!) Dapol were selling off several models very cheaply. All the locomotives were priced at £5 and I remember telling mum and dad, who initially didn't believe me, how cheap everything was. Having negotiated a very competitive interest free loan with the bank of mum and dad, the County, a Dean Goods and a Pair of 14xxs were obtained. I was also subbed some extra money for some rolling stock, all of which I still have. 

Its at this point that I'd like to thank my parents and grandparents. All of these models were obtained by them. Dad built my first layout, a 8ft by 4ft board, which hinged off my bedroom wall. I had hours of fun with it. Equally, when we moved he extended it, building a branch coming off it, forming a terminus (making essentially an L shape).

I was very lucky as a child: I always had lovely gifts. Toys I still treasure today. Memories hey!? 

Nick.

Edited by Brinkly
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

I had planned to finish off the Comet MK1 BG. However, a rather nasty chest infection put pay to that. 

Is that a common problem for Comet kits?

• Funny 2

5 hours ago, Brinkly said:

No modelling as such in this post: apologies if you were looking forward to seeing something new! 

Your collection reminded me of my entry back into 00 after dithering in the train desert for many years.   It started with a collection of early PW Hornby, which was usually referred to as Dublo being the last time I had a train in my hand!  It grew as these things do, into the Mainline, Airfix era which evolved into Buckfastleigh with unlikely buildings and an even more unlikely collection of trains.  None the less, a lot of fun which lasted well until such things as the Airfix 14xx and a couple others, which spent more time being pushed around than running around, cast doubts as to the future and a dabble into tinplate changed the whole traininmyretirement to a whole new level!

But I enjoyed your comments and perhaps now they will run again.  They could well be justified as 'newbuilds, which seem to be the current rage!

Brian.

9 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I'm sorry Nick. I really am.

I've tried not to let it bother me, I have, but I just can't let it pass.

I've even tried a double dose of pedant suppressants, but to no avail. 

It's Dolgellau.

Please remember that if you ever plan to stand as a Plaid Cymru candidate. 

Sorry again. :P 

I recall a Welshman who was offended by an Englishman who complained he couldn't see the point of Welsh and couldn't pronounce it anyway.  The Welsh guy mentioned it was all right to pronounce it as he saw it, which may account for the above situation.  It was a bit similar for us young trainspotters when it came to GW engines from Welsh sheds!:blush:

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

The GWR didn’t spell Dolgellau in the Welsh manner, so an authentic model of the said place should also misspell it... ;)

PS Although not in the way you misspelt it, Nick!

Edited by Regularity

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Brinkly said:

4097 Kenilworth Castle was next in the batting order. This was a 2001 Christmas present. I remember seeing this model several times in one of the display cases in Antics in Plymouth and really wanting it. On the run-up to Christmas, as a family, we used to go into Plymouth one Saturday and purchase the Christmas bits and bobs. I remember returning to the cabinet, longing for the model to still be there. It was! However, I remember being quite indigent when Dad then whisked me out of the shop on the pretense of getting bits for mum. Mum was left behind, not that I noticed! I remember unwrapping the model on Christmas morning and being like a dog with two tails. Not only had I got the model I'd really wanted, but it even had some coaches too! A set of Chocolate and Cream MK1s from Grandma. Bliss!

Funny enough one of my modern models (a Lima model of 59005 in revised Foster Yeoman livery) came from the shame shop at a similar time as my Christmas present in that year in similar circumstances.  While it has now been detailed and fitted to a Bachmann chassis it gets about as much use as your Castle, being out of period / region for both of my layouts!