Brinkly Works! Weathering and self-designed 3D printed models

Brinkly

• RMweb Gold

Last night, I said to Brian ( @Taz )  that I shudder to think how much money I've contributed to Antics' Plymouth shop over the years! It must be a considerable amount.

A fair amount was also obtained from the second-hand trader in Tavistock Pannier Market! Did you ever get anything from him Rich?

Kind regards,

Nick. 

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Didn’t even know there was one, my parents must have kept that quiet!

I wonder why!?

If my memory serves me he used to be near the doorway, which faced the archway leading to Duke Street. He must of have several hundred quid off me between 1992 - 2001! Most of my freight stock came from him.

Edited for Simon 

Edited by Brinkly

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Brinkly said:

I wonder why!?

If my memory serves me he used to be near the doorway, which faced the archway leading to Duke Street. He must of have several hundred quid off me between 1992 - 2001! Most of my freight stock came from him.

We used to have a tobacco shop in Cardiff with a bear like that. By the door. No archway. But a bear all the same . Brown. Bit moth eaten. The bear, not the shop. 

Rob. 

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

I do it to annoy you Simon! ;)

Oh, it didn’t annoy me at all. Takes far more than that to annoy me. No, the response was automatic.

And it was my pleasure to be “of help”.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nick. Going back a while in the thread, I was looking at your model of 4574 as I am modelling the same loco. How did you get the coal out of the bunker, as I can only get it part way, and I'm afraid to apply more force in case I break something?. Thanks for the steer re the size of the crest as well. I hadn't noticed that. Fortunately I have some suitably sized Fox crests in stock.

Alex

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alex

If memory serves me, there are either a pair of screws or clips in the cab near the bunker. I took the whole loco apart, boiler and all, to fit replacement safety valve, whistle (I think), smokebox dart and other smaller fittings. 

This thread - Bachmann 45xx detailing - is very useful. When I get home, I'll have a proper look and see what I did. 

Regards

Nick.

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

Thanks for the steer re the size of the crest as well. I hadn't noticed that. Fortunately I have some suitably sized Fox crests in stock.

I always work from a photograph: it makes life so much easier! 

One example being 4569: it was painted into BR lined green and had the larger late crest applied to the side tanks. I don't think many other 45xxs carried this larger example. The majority seemed to carry the medium, or small, version of the later crest. 

The other thing to look out for are safety valves. Some had tall and some the shorter! 

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Greetings all,

I hope you and your respective families are all well. I must say this is all rather extraordinary.  I've been banned from going into school (as of Friday) due to my asthma; although, I have still be setting daily lessons and trying to come up with ways of educating the children which don't involve staring at a screen all day long! 

Anyway, I am not going to lie, I have had a significant increase in free time and rather than watching rubbish on TV, I've made the most of 'self-isolation'. 

On Saturday, I decided to grab the bull by the horns and have a go at a brass wagon kit: Frogmore AA13 GWR brake van. I picked this kit up at the first Scaleforum I went to, either 2008 or 2009(!) and thought it was about time to build it. I have to say, it has been a real pig and should come with a health warning! It really isn't for the fainthearted. 

IMG_3877.jpg.2f3688eda0a748406010f3aa3888a62b.jpg

This is the main body - first problem, the doors are not the same size. The etched slots don't line up after being folded - how do I know? Don't ask! I think the sides are slightly different sizes too and a chat with a fellow modeller confirmed this! IMG_3878.jpg.6c15234a4d50a40022dc3d2b2746f25c.jpg

This took several (6-7) hours to get it to this stage. A careful combination of 'tinning' and 'sweating' the various overlays into place was a pig, because, once again, half the slots don't line up! 

IMG_3879.jpg.73cc9ee20f98ec0e38b2f84913019fc9.jpg

The ends were a real pig to do and aren't good enough to my eye, but a galloping horse won't see it! Once again, can you see the etches on the buffer beam don't line up. The holes are in difference places. 

IMG_3883.jpg.84b5673784ec9368e5af8a28191f056d.jpgIMG_3892.jpg.eed618dd6815c53da56f13690b045278.jpg

Next problem spotted, the lamp bracket is in the wrong place - why is that? Two strips are missing and the instructions don't mention that! The stantions were carefully soldered in from the back, after new holes were drilled in. 

IMG_3889.jpg.15e11dacbe9455d1f86d193a01985342.jpg

The overlay on the veranda end isn't straight - again, not me! I had to cut the etch down because the top bar would have been about half way up the van! The strip is as straight as I could get it - again, the main body isn't straight!!!!!!!!!!! IMG_3897.jpg.64de5a2d1bf1072cbd1e581815fe5edb.jpg

After a significant amount of further cursing, this is where I have got it too. 

I now am determined to finish it; however, I don't feel this model is 'that good', so will probably just trundle through Horrabridge occasionally as a 'spare' van. 

On a positive note, this kit has taught me a lot. My soldering has improved through and I've learnt a number of cunning techniques to get fiddly pieces into place. 

Bit more later, but not linked to this van!!

Best wishes,

Nick.

PS. Little funny to end on... 

IMG_3920.JPG.977a0cfc3d80ac594c3de3484ed4e751.JPG

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Been there done that Nick, it could be in the Snog, Marry Avoid category of kits that were on the market.

Still, it is a good learning curve and well done for sticking at it.

Take care.

G

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a couple of these in various stages of construction. I have decided that rather than trying to fold up the ends and sides I'm going to cut them off and and solder it all together, possibly using brass angle to strengthen the joints. I have also used brass angle for the veranda edging as I couldn't get on with the etch. Definitely not a beginner's kit.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your comments chaps. The kit really was a sod and not one I would buy again! You have been warned Rich!!

Not a massive amount of modelling today. I started work on a Parkside 7 plank PO wagon and mucked around with some rust washes made by Ammo by Mig. I'm quite pleased with the results so far. 

1354852643_image0(1).jpeg.0046dbf9fc91f0c635a6d3089ce075b6.jpeg

image5.jpeg.35cc8e5275acacacb92603d913b30335.jpeg

982570946_image4(1).jpeg.fd36c10a32590d47df1cb707d0823f5b.jpeg

876629736_image3(1).jpeg.da53b0b7163a3dfa285cf5a2ac8287b5.jpeg

1349676334_image2(2).jpeg.84dcfe193718559186deff72ce9146d1.jpeg

image6.jpeg.f0fe463d78f2c0143c4650afc97e1be3.jpeg

The steel wagon was a Bachmann RTR item, which I repainted last year: chassis awaits a coat of black paint, but I will do that separately another day.

Hope everyone is keeping well. 

Best wishes,

Nick.  

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for all the likes and comments gents. Please do feel free to add any tips or advice! 

This morning, I fancied a simple job, so decided to remove the bodies from a couple of Hornby's rather excellent Maunsell and Bulleid cattle wagons. Last year, I was rather fortunate and managed to pick up four - three Bulleid and one Maunsell - off eBay for less than a third of the usual retail price. I already had a couple of examples, but couldn't resist the bargain price! The Maunsell example was pre-weathered by Grimy Times. 

Cattle traffic was quite important on the Launceston branch. Livestock was transported to Tavistock from all over the area and dispatched from there.  On the run up to the quarterly grading days, thousand animals being transported to Tavistock to be 'graded' before being sold off. This was a very good source of venue for the line, with dedicated cattle trains running frequently to Tavistock. Lots of empty vans would also be sorted at Horrabridge and Lydford for the anticipated additional traffic, all things I would like to include in my model. 

In comparison to the David Geen kit, the Hornby version is very fine. David's model is lovely, but I think Hornby have the edge on detailing; weight wise however, the Hornby vans are quite light and I felt that all needed bringing up to 40-45grams (the van itself weighed about 30 grams once the tension locks were removed). The three Bulleid vans are also currently wearing their SR wartime livery, so all of those will need a trip to the paintshop at some point in the near future. 

Detailing work goes as follows;

• Removal of the tension lock coupling,
  • Fitting of Smiths Screw-Link couplings,
  • Adding of around 10 grams of additional weight,
  • Fitting of Lanarkshire Models vacuum pipes,
  • Additional brasswire to the underframe (particularly between the brake shoes),
  • Possible fitting of new Romford 00-wheels (the flange on the Hornby model seems very deep, especially on the 8-spoke wheels)
  • Repaint of Bulleid vans into BR bauxite (airbrushed),
  • Renumbering and eventually, weathering. 

126273167_Bodyremovedfromchassisandscrewlinkcouplingfitted.jpg.8b8e8c036e1024365022aafc98316dad.jpg

The body comes away quite easy, as does the cast floor. 

1436992393_Pre-weatheredversion.jpg.46765ccd7a23dc1a67276bb4dc8e9610.jpg

Grimy Times Maunsell van - rather nicely done I think - of-cuts of lead sheet are being used as weights. 

604666566_15gramsofleadhasbeenadded.jpg.9b22e9f543fd9446b19dee86fa93d5ed.jpg

Lead sheet being glued and held in place with a small F clamp - you can't see inside, so I'm not too bothered about the position of the lead. 

1758321599_Fouronthego.jpg.64b17e46aca2fae0f044b3ac97bab7fb.jpg

Group of four underway. Screw-link couplings have been fitted to all vans so far. 

200601206_Repaint1.jpg.547690be395ab81a557755c3041e4ed0.jpg

Pair partly complete last year. See what I mean about the flanges? The left is a repainted Bulleid and the right a Maunsell. I prefer the Precision Bauxite to Hornby's. 

436277713_Repaint2.jpg.217e04cf01e0bb2dcb65cfc65ead2990.jpg

Replacement upright pipe on the Maunsell van, along with some extra brass wiring, which you just can't see! 

Anyway more later.

Best wishes,

Nick.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Looking good Nick.

Are you going to re-name the thread to 'Brinkly not working at present'?;)

It is a very odd situation I have to say Rich! We set work for the children daily on a couple of online platforms and write a plan up and post it on our website, but there's no marking, assessing or other rubbish to do! I have been working on school bits first thing (6:30am to 11am) but not every day! :lol: ;) I am enjoying the 'extra' time I must say. 

Trust are you are all well?

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Nick. On 'the other side' we have  kids at home, but I'm still out working with NHS. S attempts home working while keeping an eye on our primary age son who needs a lot of help home schooling. Secondary age daughter plods along herself. Appreciate the quick work teachers put in to allow this to happen, but  I feel slightly guilty leaving them during the day....