Talented modelling

Gene

To my mind the amount of roll looks about right (but as people have said, possibly doesn't give the right feeling of mass)

I've got just one freightcar that's capable of a slow roll, it's an old Details West 2 bay covered hopper, with the weight added down low in the hopper bottoms, if you leave both trucks loose on that it will pendulum slowly back to rest - it's still too fast for scale, but oddly it pendulums much more slowly than your average wobbly freightcar.

Jeez guys...throwing physics and all around....it's a freaking hobby for pity's sake!!! As the original poster I want to say...it is not my modelling or my video..I did not ask for comments about the video.....I did assume there would be comments.....to those who like it, good on you, to those that don't like it , good on you. To those who are really dissecting the "reality" or " accuracy" or "physics"....good on you too.

Me...I think the guy did a credible job within the confines of HO model railroading.....we use 5-finger cranes to put locos and stock on track, we use unrealistic radii for curves, unrealistic grades, compression, most egregious to me are how most locos can seem to run,shunt,stop and start with out loco drivers...very inaccurate.... etc., etc., etc.,.

Me...I like what he did, he got it pretty close to some videos I've seen....and I wouldn't try it myself.

Cheers

Gene

To my mind the amount of roll looks about right (but as people have said, possibly doesn't give the right feeling of mass) but the track looks exaggerated. Presumably this is because, in real life, some of the sway comes from the suspension components.

I'd be pleased with it, and if he can get the track looking like its bedded into the ballast properly (i.e. nearly under it!) it will look good.

Back in the days when I went out to take photographs, you'd always see some cars that were rocking much more markedly than others in the train. This page explains some of the aspects of harmonic rock http://www.transportationu.com/articles/hrr_01.html

Okay time for a laugh...

Rough track at Portway Center (O scale). Yes it uses the wrong track - bullhead rail and chairs - yes it's Peco, what I had to hand for a quick layout build. :blush:

IMG_1314_zps5bbf4506.jpg

...and being inspected at TVNAM...

DSCF0389-1_zpsff8dc8ca.jpg

Staggered rail joints.

IMG_1319_zps18e195d2.jpg

IMG_1317_zps6eaf0252.jpg

Self-guarding Frog/point under construction.

IMG_1576_zpse88f494d.jpg

normal viewing angle when the track will be in place... not so bad...

IMG_1577_zps710bd64f.jpg

2014-08-18125433_zps780c0682.jpg

I'm fascinated by the way self-guarding frogs look "backwards" to normal ones, somehow.

Comedy Show over.

You are more than welcome.However, I wonder if your modelling is lacking a certain something*,

* In addition to the obvious 3rd rail. Although it does have flat-bottom rail.

:O Whatever my modelling is lacking that that layout has, I'm quite glad I'm lacking it...!!! :P ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Dear "Rock n Roll Rails" fans,

Just saw this YT of a (HO?) layout, and apart from the switchrail<>stockrail gap,
(which I'm sure Andy will pick ;-) ), the "down the barrel" viewpoint seems to show a very interesting form of model "rocking/swaying" which,
while visible, does not appear to be anywhere near as pronounced as the OP example clip.

Now, whether this is simply "typical HO track laying",
(I know my trackwork often ends up a lot more lumpy than I intend, despite best-efforts),
or a deliberate attempt to do "subtle rough track" I don't know...

However, it does strike me as not so obviously "out of scale" in terms of equipment-rock physics....

Intrigued...

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

PS also check the P.o.V. in this clip at the 4:30 mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PfXiFLjT0s#t=265

I like it. Maybe he should've been going just a tad slower?

I'm sure Andy will slaughter it.......

The motion looks pretty good to me. The track appears to have been laid very flat in model terms. Just that one foreground slight height misalignment jog (may be a track type change at what appears to be  a module joint). The cars are probably on regular rigid trucks with one loose bolster screw and so tightly following whatever the tilt of the track is. Which clearly isn't much at all.

Andy

Archived