NER 1903 Autocar

The White Rabbit

• RMweb Premium

There was a detailed article in the Gauge O Guild Gazette November 2014 from someone who had built a 7mm scale model from Worsley Works (rather than NER days). From memory, I think the radiator is something which has caused problems/uncertainty previously. (At the risk of disillusioning/disappointing George H, there probably isn't a photo/drawing...). I've had a quick look but it looks like something I need to do some digging on to refresh my memory, if I get anywhere, will post further details. Alternatively, I know at least two members of the Pontefract club have built NER Days 7mm kits, also I think a few [non-club] members of this forum have as well. Any ideas/information welcome... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mvrattler said:

Also article and drawings in Railway Modeller July 2009 page 475 --4479. Can scan if required.

Kerry

Hi Kerry

Could I be cheeky and ask for a copy too please?

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1

Mark and Marc, 

Buit one several years ago and a second is partly constructed being placed in the work in progress cupboard because I needed something I didnt have from the portable work table. Have also made a folder of the construction pics as well as the RM article  so I think it will have to be sent by WeTransfer, so need to have both of your email address to ksviney@gmail.com.

Kerry

On 16/03/2020 at 05:51, mvrattler said:

Also article and drawings in Railway Modeller July 2009 page 475 --4479. Can scan if required.

Kerry

Hi Kerry

All well received - thank you very much indeed :)

It looks as though the Railcar is moving up the roundtuit list :D

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sad that the Autocars operating visit to the GCR appears to be over as all running is suspended and its turn on the Mountsorrel branch was cancelled before that. The seating is too close for social distancing. Vincent Raven never thought of that.

Thanks for the great experiences the  visit has given us.

Dava 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

I found the kit in the stack last night. Need to get some S7 wheels and some replacement castings as they are a little holey.

Marc

I have the Worsley Works 4mm etches. Have just obtained some Fox bogies too, so one pair will be allocated to this project. I'm going to build the power bogie for it myself - am considering using a DS10 and a High Level gearbox, but practical suggestions will be much appreciated :)

Now, all I need to do is wait for flights to recommence after 13/4 (Company decreed 'earliest date to consider any crew changes') and I can get home...

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sorry for the delay in replying. What with work and trying to look after with two 'vulnerable' people, life's been somewhat chaotic lately. Two plans and an old photo attached. I think that's probably the best we can do re the radiator. There are some photos at https://electricautocar.co.uk/archive/ - I think the sixth one (leaving Scarborough) and the 14th ('Autocar') probably give the best views of the radiator. 

835544512_TramwayRailwayWorld12-05-1904enlargedplan.jpg.1a26d58c7e6229d62d51ae451dc308b7.jpg

171871125_Plan-profile.jpg.4e1153ccf554ebca5c4fcf36c4843330.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 21/03/2020 at 12:55, Furness Wagon said:

Hope you stuck somewhere warm and out of harm's way.

Marc

Warm, yes. Presently in the Puerto Rico area, then off Jamaica to do ship to ship transfer of more LNG cargo into our tanks. Ship is now on charter out here for a while.

Out of harm's way? Well, we're probably better protected from it from most folk, whilst we remain offshore. It's when we go into port that we will be at risk - but we will limit numbers of visitors, and there is no shore leave going to be granted. Good hygiene to be followed too. I suspect that the biggest danger will be when we are eventually able to go home, depending on where we get off...

It's difficult for us all - I was due off a week ago today. There are 30 ships in my Company's fleet, trading all over the world, and we are all 'in the same boat', as it were. No crew changes at all, anywhere, until 13/4 at the earliest... Also not good for our families, of course, but what can we do? One of those things. Still, fortunately we have t'interweb, which helps.

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The curse of 2020 has struck again - the latest newsletter has been delivered but the house is now in quarantine. We'll get them posted as soon as we can and it's safe - meanwhile, any members who haven't had an email from us (sent about half an hour ago), you can contact us directly via email for an electronic copy and/or details of the AGM.

Because of the pestilence, we're going for a virtual AGM on the 23rd January 2021 - details are included in the newsletter ... which is now sitting in quarantine. 2020 has just been one of those years... :banghead:

Edited by The White Rabbit
miss Spellung
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Pity I couldn't make it.  This autocar is always going to be so popular with enthusiast and the public generally that it will difficult to get a seat.  The NER would have built a few more if there had been that much demand at the time!

I found travelling in it reminiscent of the Manx Electric Railway winter saloons, which are just a few years older but similar in layout and styling.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1