NER 1903 Autocar

The White Rabbit

TWR

Absolutely excellent - just my kind of stuff, and answers the question in detail.

The really interesting thing that this highlights is that the Autocar was, very largely "electrically" controlled, with the engine governed to a fixed speed (with a very few extra revs available for a quick start). This, in turn, indicates two things:

1) that the batteries probably came into play to provide a boost when/if the car was faced with a gradient, and probably "soaked up" some of the kinetic energy when braking, especially on a down gradient; (edit: actually, on re-read, I'm less sure about this, because the battery was charged from the exciter generator; what we really need is the circuit diagram!)

2) that overall, the control scheme was very similar to, if not identical with, that of the earlier Patton motor car. (Edit :Possibly not, if the battery didn't contribute to traction - I'm beginning to think that maybe the Autocar might have been a poor "hill climber")

I don't differ from Mr Henessey's conclusion that the Autocar was influential in the US, because I've read the contemporary US reports which attest to that fact, but it is very interesting/remarkable that that was the case, when there was already a "home grown" US product that was doing very nearly the same thing, and had been doing it for nearly 15 years. Some of Patton's patents, describing the concept date back to 1887, and he really does deserve credit as the inventor of the "hybrid". Another, more famous, hybrid fan was Ferdinand Porsche, BTW, who devised a road car called the "Mixte" in the 1890s.

Anyway, very good stuff indeed!

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

Phil

I think that what you are looking at are the magnetic track brakes.

As a side point, the US Patton motor cars were produced in a multi-power format, that could run by petrol engine, battery, and third-rail, for use as "engineering train locomotives" - all that in the 1890s. Which doesn't stop modern multi-power loco manufacturers implying that it is all a new idea!

Kevin

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The big news first:

Earlier this week, the autocar moved under its own power. Not far, just up and down the shed road at the GCR, but far enough to prove our engineering works. There were a few things for our engineering team to look at, but nothing to cause serious concern. Fortunately a friend of one of our team was able to shoot some footage:

The controls: https://youtu.be/-DLkktgvLAs

Movement: https://youtu.be/tOEQ1684mtM

And on instruments: https://youtu.be/yqTDq5gZugU

We'd expect there to be further testing to take place over the next few weeks but we don't have more info on the details of this yet - it depends on several unknowns basically. 

As you can imagine, this is very positive news and the AGM this afternoon had a very upbeat mood. 

Other news, we won a Transport Trust award for the restoration of the autocoach, awarded at Brooklands and presented by Prince Michael of Kent, seen here with two of our volunteers. 

post-16840-0-36870900-1453571670.jpg

We are still looking for people who can help, whether with practical restoration or 'back-room' tasks. Of the latter, some have been filled but we're still looking for a researcher, fundraiser and lawyer. If you can help, even if it's just for two or three hours a month, please let us know. It will make a difference and be thoroughly appreciated. 

• Like 16

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks David. 

Another two steps forward recently, with a few runs up and down in Loughborough yard a week ago and then a longer series of runs out to Quorn yesterday. It all worked, with only a warm axle box to look at. We're still sorting photos and videos out but here's a sample:

post-16840-0-99782300-1458338680_thumb.jpg

post-16840-0-52208500-1458338686_thumb.jpg

post-16840-0-80526100-1458338688.jpg

post-16840-0-94304400-1458338719.jpg

We will have a stand at York show this Easter, up on the second mezzanine, with the latest news & photos. And membership forms... 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

It will be great to see it with the restored body, but presumably this will be back at Embsay, not on the GCR?

Dava

• RMweb Premium

I bet the crew are eagerly looking forward to the bodywork.

K

:yes:

It will be great to see it with the restored body, but presumably this will be back at Embsay, not on the GCR?

Dava

Yes, at least initially. Once the body is craned onto the new chassis, there'll be a lot of work attaching the two together and then some test running at Embsay. Once everything works, I would expect us to go visiting as well as running services at Embsay. Several railways have expressed an interest in a visit and I know some GCR members would like to see us back there. 

• Like 2

:yes:

Yes, at least initially. Once the body is craned onto the new chassis, there'll be a lot of work attaching the two together and then some test running at Embsay. Once everything works, I would expect us to go visiting as well as running services at Embsay. Several railways have expressed an interest in a visit and I know some GCR members would like to see us back there. 

Greater Anglia are always short of stock, if you would like to earn some money.....

Stewart

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Superb!

I bet the crew are eagerly looking forward to the bodywork.

K

Are you kidding, I bet there having the time of there lives running up and down on that. Going off topic it reminds me as a boy seeing the bus chassis coming up the A4 from Bristol with just an exposed driver in his overcoat, flat cap and flying goggles.

Back to this its been an outstanding build well done to all those involved and I'm looking forward to the next phase with the reuniting of the body and chassis.

Edited by Londontram

Are you kidding, I bet there having the time of there lives running up and down on that. Going off topic it reminds me as a boy seeing the bus chassis coming up the A4 from Bristol with just an exposed driver in his overcoat, flat cap and flying goggles.

Back to this its been an outstanding build well done to all those involved and I'm looking forward to the next phase with the reuniting of the body and chassis.

I agree with you, having taken a series one landrover for a test run when it was little more than a chassis, running gear and bulkhead, it was a lot of fun even when it struggled to pass 35mph.

• Like 4

Greater Anglia are always short of stock, if you would like to earn some money.....

Stewart

Or build a few more to replace the pacers. Sad how a 112 year old railcar is technically somewhat more advanced in terms of comfort, ride noise, transmission and weathertight doors...

• RMweb Premium

Feedback from the passengers in 1904 was apparently very complimentary. The autocars had radiators, curtains & upholstered seats - the NER made a real effort to consider passenger comfort. (I'm no fan of 'cattletrucks' either). Eight wheels good, four wheels bad! 

Anyway - the 'official' video of testing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N99dUPMQar8&feature=em-share_video_user

• Like 6

Nice video White Rabbit

This could be a very interesting idea for a gala, NER themed

Railcar

New G5 when finished

The H class 0-4-0T such as 1310

JOEM as the originals were built for the NER.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There have been comments already about getting the autocar & the G5 alongside each other. Our autocoach should be able to run as a loco hauled coach with the G5, even if we can't have proper push-pull working. So if appropriate steam locos are all in ticket at the same time, yes, we could have a sizeable NER Gala. NYMR maybe? 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dava - no NER saloons I'm afraid. Mr M has three GER, a GNoSR, LNWR, L&Y, LSWR, MR and had a ECJS. 

An extra video link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tONHtVfQ9MA

This one was taken from the autocar itself and has some interesting angles showing the riding of the autocar and the high standard of the GCR's track. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dava - no NER saloons I'm afraid. Mr M has three GER, a GNoSR, LNWR, L&Y, LSWR, MR and had a ECJS. 

An extra video link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tONHtVfQ9MA

This one was taken from the autocar itself and has some interesting angles showing the riding of the autocar and the high standard of the GCR's track.

Thanks & my mistake, he has restored plenty of other gems. Maybe the VCT or other NER saloon might make an appearance sometime.

Looking forward to the autocar launch whenever that may be. I was talking with an Australian modeller this morning who has built a 7mm version.

Dava

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well done to all concerned. As to the bodywork, I have a better idea, just put a few more railings all the way round on it and run a few specials. I would love to have a open top run on that, as long as it isn't raining.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just stumbled across this thread and had no knowledge of the NER 1903 Autocar other than the information presented here, that said a big well done to everyone - it'll be fantastic when it is finished. I'm sure others might not agree but to me there is a certain beauty in just the running chassis. A lot of hard work and dedication has gone into something that will ultimately be covered over.

Would love to see it completed and back at the GCR for a visit.

Quick edit: The rail level video is excellent, a view very rarely captured

Edited by maq1988
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The chassis has now passed its testing and is back at Embsay. A week ago the body was craned onto it. There's a video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwkwrzuZKEk&feature=youtu.be of the lift. Now the two key parts are together, it's all hands to work finishing the autocar's restoration. No predictions of timescales - I've got it wrong too many times already - but I'm hoping it'll be sometime next year. 

Whenever it and the autocoach are finally complete, we do intend to make it available for visits to other lines. I know there's some at the GCR who would like to see it running there, so it could well go there within 12 months of becoming operational. Then again, there's several other lines which I could say the same about. Will it do more miles on rails or on the back of a low-loader? 

post-16840-0-96321100-1469982789_thumb.jpg

post-16840-0-43092300-1469982715_thumb.jpg

post-16840-0-13903900-1469982818_thumb.jpg

Photos courtesy Alan Chandler. 

Edited by The White Rabbit
  • Like 19

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yes, sorry, things have been a bit busy lately. Work has continued to turn the body and chassis from two parts bolted together to a living, working train. Much of the tongue and groove boarding has been cleaned up, reattached and painted. The partition between the passenger saloon and vestibule had to come out to repair a cross-member underneath which was in poor condition. Two other cross members had to have repairs done, so the floor disappeared for a while! It and the partition is now being replaced. 

post-16840-0-62018200-1490044715_thumb.jpg

post-16840-0-34582600-1490044716_thumb.jpg

post-16840-0-12730500-1490044737_thumb.jpg

Three photos courtesy Alan Chandler. As you can see, some windows have been glazed and the interior has received several coats of varnish. The picture outside was an opportunistic snap when the shed was having work done to it and all the stock had to be moved out to create some space. And views like that are good for members' morale! 

Steve Hoather (our project engineer) gave a lecture to the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in Manchester back in December; he will be repeating this at Wabtec in Doncaster at 17:00 10th April and visitors are welcome. 

The latest newsletter has just been e-mailed out and if the printers are on form, hard copies will probably be hitting doormats the first week in April. 

Edited by The White Rabbit
  • Like 15

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, another newsletter done and time for an update. We're now "officially amazing", with an entry in the Guiness Book of Records, recognising the autocar's historical significance. 

post-16840-0-14097800-1502223147_thumb.jpg

There's a lot suddenly falling into place, with each task completed alowing more to be done. As someone put it recently: when the remaining big jobs were once the little ones, you know you're getting there. It'll be a while yet, there's still plenty to do, but to use the hackneyed phrase, there does seem to be light at the end of the tunnel... The engine room floor's mostly fitted (first photo below), with metal plating down and lino in the passenger saloon. The seats are on site and we had a meeting the other day, ostensibly to discuss a few matters but primarily to road-test the cushions. Definitely better than slats! With the fuel fillers fitted, restoration and fitting of the external tongue and groove panelling is now complete. Doors and droplights have been hung and fitted and both sides and an end are ready for painting this summer. 

post-16840-0-98784400-1502223856_thumb.jpg

post-16840-0-92044700-1502223874_thumb.jpg

There's a flap in the bodyside for the fuel filler, even when only in undercoat, it's hard to spot. 

And then the only bit that still looks rough, the engine room end, with the first cab-desk visible behind the framework: 

post-16840-0-01886100-1502223890_thumb.jpg

We're also working on the autocoach, fitting it with dual brakes so it can run either with the autocar or a steam engine. Significant progress has been made on the second cab-desk and it's planned to install it this autumn. 

As ever, if anyone wishes to help, whether with time, skills and/or hard cash, they will be most welcome. 

• Like 12