Deneside - BR North Eastern Region

Brian D

Good morning  Brian,

I have only just stumbled on your thread from the link in a post on AndyP's Bitton and so I apologise if you've suddenly received a rash of ratings all at once. Great job so far and I look on with interest as, due to illness and funding issues, I won't start modelling till early next year. Very inspirational work and I look forward to following your progress,

Kind regards,

Jock. (Currently also living in Essex but born and raised in G&SWR territory!)  

• Like 1

Hey Brian, I posted at the beginning then lost it, I do apologise, anyway you now have a thousand Likes and Agrees, its a lovely looking shed and when all the insulation is done it will be warm and dry.

Good luck with the rest of the build Brian.

• Like 1

Good morning  Brian,

I have only just stumbled on your thread from the link in a post on AndyP's Bitton and so I apologise if you've suddenly received a rash of ratings all at once. Great job so far and I look on with interest as, due to illness and funding issues, I won't start modelling till early next year. Very inspirational work and I look forward to following your progress,

Kind regards,

Jock. (Currently also living in Essex but born and raised in G&SWR territory!)  

Thanks, Jock.  Would that be a Scottish layout you are planning?

Regards,

Brian.

Hey Brian, I posted at the beginning then lost it, I do apologise, anyway you now have a thousand Likes and Agrees, its a lovely looking shed and when all the insulation is done it will be warm and dry.

Good luck with the rest of the build Brian.

Thanks Andy.  Your shed is coming along great.  I hope to emulate your achievments, albeit on a slightly smaller scale (by scale, I mean shed size not model scale :jester: )

• Like 1

Thank you for an interesting and useful thread. The shed is looking great.

Ed

Thanks for your comment Ed.  As I said earlier in the thread, it is a somewhat strange thing posting stuff on here, not really knowing whether my waffle is of any consequence, so it's nice to get some positive feedback.

Regards,

Good afternoon Brian

Yes indeed, I hope to start on a fair representation of Hurlford MPD where my dad was based as a driver. We moved from Dumfries where I was born when I was five in 1952. We lived for some time in the railway accommodation known as the blocks of maisonettes in Barleith, adjoining the shed. Ours was the ground floor one, right next to the shed and we stayed for some years before moving in to Hurlford village and thence to Essex in the sixties. Dad was 'top link' and so I got plenty of footplate action on the more exotic locos of the time, as well as trips on the more mundane colliery and local runs. Space constraints mean I'll have to use 'rule 1' and interpret some of the buildings. I hope to start in the spring with a module containing the coaling stage, ramp and turntable/ash pit site. The coaling stage for instance will have to be the original size as I don't have space for the ramshackle looking double sized version produced by alterations around the time of WW2. I will progress in modules in view of the fact that I have a terminal illness and no one can give me a time limit! Each module will be designed to marry with the next, eventually filling the space at the end of my garage. The determination to produce some sort of model has been therapeutic and I've found incredible support from all the RMweb members like AndyP and a whole host of others - it isn't just about modelling! One day I might have to bore you with some of the anecdotes of those times - the few I can re-call in any case. Thank you for your interest,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

Good afternoon Brian

Yes indeed, I hope to start on a fair representation of Hurlford MPD where my dad was based as a driver. We moved from Dumfries where I was born when I was five in 1952. We lived for some time in the railway accommodation known as the blocks of maisonettes in Barleith, adjoining the shed. Ours was the ground floor one, right next to the shed and we stayed for some years before moving in to Hurlford village and thence to Essex in the sixties. Dad was 'top link' and so I got plenty of footplate action on the more exotic locos of the time, as well as trips on the more mundane colliery and local runs. Space constraints mean I'll have to use 'rule 1' and interpret some of the buildings. I hope to start in the spring with a module containing the coaling stage, ramp and turntable/ash pit site. The coaling stage for instance will have to be the original size as I don't have space for the ramshackle looking double sized version produced by alterations around the time of WW2. I will progress in modules in view of the fact that I have a terminal illness and no one can give me a time limit! Each module will be designed to marry with the next, eventually filling the space at the end of my garage. The determination to produce some sort of model has been therapeutic and I've found incredible support from all the RMweb members like AndyP and a whole host of others - it isn't just about modelling! One day I might have to bore you with some of the anecdotes of those times - the few I can re-call in any case. Thank you for your interest,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Wow.  Railways in the blood indeed.  I look forward to see your layout progress - please drop me a line when you start your thread - it is so easy to miss good stuff on here.

I too moved away from my roots when I was small.  My family originated from the Easington Colliery area of County Durham and we moved down to Essex when I was 3 years old.  So I have lost the Geordie accent, accept when I return to the North East - do you do likewise with the Scottish accent?

My railway connections are quite recent.  I tried and failed to get a sandwich course apprenticeship with British Rail in the late 1960s but was accepted by a London Borough and had a long Structural Engineering career in local government before applying for an engineering (infrastructure protection) role with London Underground about 8 years ago and spent the final 6 years of my career with LU before retiring in 2012.  All electric multiple units, of course, but exciting times with a lot of new investment (new trains, signalling systems, etc to increase capacity) although my role was non-operational.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

A quick progress report.  I spent a couple of hours in the shed this morning and managed to jablite and mdf line a good bit of the window wall so I'm slowly getting there.

By the way, I bought one of these things a few weeks back.

post-1115-0-99376300-1412528665.jpg

It has a min/max feature on it which told me that it got down to 5 degrees C in the shed last night.  No electrics or heat in there yet but this little device will be a useful monitor when there is and the cold weather draws in.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

A quick progress report.  I spent a couple of hours in the shed this morning and managed to jablite and mdf line a good bit of the window wall so I'm slowly getting there.

By the way, I bought one of these things a few weeks back.

attachicon.gifminmax.jpg

It has a min/max feature on it which told me that it got down to 5 degrees C in the shed last night.  No electrics or heat in there yet but this little device will be a useful monitor when there is and the cold weather draws in.

Regards,

Brian.

Brian, that a useful bit of kit, my Good Lady suggested I get a Greenhouse heater just to keep it about 3 degrees or so in the winter to stop stock getting damp.

• Like 1

Yes indeed, Andy.  I plan some sort of thermostatically controlled low level heating.

The thing is, as soon as you heat your shed, the police helicopter thermal imaging picks it up and you get a knock on the door from the boys in blue who think you have a marijuana farm in your shed hahaha.

Regards,
Brian.

Yes indeed, Andy.  I plan some sort of thermostatically controlled low level heating.

The thing is, as soon as you heat your shed, the police helicopter thermal imaging picks it up and you get a knock on the door from the boys in blue who think you have a marijuana farm in your shed hahaha.

Regards,

Brian.

hence good roof insulation, hahha.

• RMweb Gold

Have always had Hawthord Town as an inspiration since I saw it in RM (that issues in the "cannot be thrown away ever" pile!) ,so glad to see its evolution/successor progressing on here.

I think the shed updates will prove to be a useful reference for folks going down this route so thanks for posting a stage that usually gets glossed over.

Subscribed.

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by slow8dirty
  • Like 2

Thanks ever so much, Matt.  Positive feedback for both the original article in RM and this thread - as they say "priceless".

I am humbled sir.

Love Taunton - not a million miles away from the West Somerset Railway which, despite being an apparent anathema for an old LNER/BR(E)/BR(NE) fan like me, I found an absolute joy when me and Mrs D had a return trip from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead and back a year or so back.  Steam hauled by the ex-S&DR 7F 2-8-0 (hope I got that loco description right) to Minehead and front row seat in the DMU on the way back - happy days.  Oh, and all those Ratio kits in full size :jester:

I see your reference to AnyRail in your signature line.  Expect some AnyRail plans here sometime soon.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

I found an efficient way to keep a railway shed warm in the winter (and keep the other half happier at the same time) is to put a small chest freezer in one corner- last winter I didn't need the main heater overnight once.  It also gives a useful clear surface to park things where paint is drying or glue setting.

A half-height cupboard freezer under a bench or high-level cupboard might have the same effect I think.

All the very best

Les

• Like 1

Hi Brian. Just read through your notes on shed building / insulating. Your planning and execution of the work should be compulsory reading for any one starting in a small shed. My own impatience to get things started some years back, resulted in having to improve  insulation as work on my layout progressed.

When and how is the electrical supply being fitted. Will be following with interest, also very pleased to note your secondary hobby of B+Q visits on Wrinkley Wednesdays.

Regards Brian ( wireman )

• Like 3

I found an efficient way to keep a railway shed warm in the winter (and keep the other half happier at the same time) is to put a small chest freezer in one corner- last winter I didn't need the main heater overnight once.  It also gives a useful clear surface to park things where paint is drying or glue setting.

A half-height cupboard freezer under a bench or high-level cupboard might have the same effect I think.

All the very best

Les

Thanks for the suggestion Les.  It had already crossed my mind to put a beer fridge in the shed, purely for Mrs D's lagers of course  :)  :) 

Regards,

Brian.

Hi Brian. Just read through your notes on shed building / insulating. Your planning and execution of the work should be compulsory reading for any one starting in a small shed. My own impatience to get things started some years back, resulted in having to improve  insulation as work on my layout progressed.

When and how is the electrical supply being fitted. Will be following with interest, also very pleased to note your secondary hobby of B+Q visits on Wrinkley Wednesdays.

Regards Brian ( wireman )

Thanks for your kind comments, Brian.  I initially started looking at the B&Q sheds but they really weren't substantial enough to my mind.  Trawling the internet gave me a better idea of the sheds available and the (various) recommended means of insulating and lining them.  I'm taking a bit of a chance with the mdf but it is so much cheaper than exterior grade plywood but it is inside the double layer bubble wrap stuff which should keep it dry and it will be sealed and painted internally.  The Jablite is so cheap (£6.98 per 8ft x 4ft x 25mm thick sheet) compared to the Kingspan stuff.

I have mixed feeling about B&Q wednesdays.  Fine you save 10% but the place is very busy and you are in there hours, especially if you want your mdf boards cut.  I went on Saturday to get some more mdf and odds and ends, the bill came to £40 odd so I missed out on saving £4 odd but I was in and out in minutes.  It depends how you value your time I suppose.  I am fortunate to be retired so have the daytime to preferably work on the shed rather than spend half a day or so going out gathering materials.

The shed is located within 18 inches of my precast concrete garage which is already served by electricity, put in by an electrician when we had our kitchen replaced.   Hopefully an electrician can just extend the juice to the shed to provide say two double socket outlets (one for the railway and one for heat, tv, music, etc) or maybe three and strip lights in the roof.  I want to get the insulation and lining out finished and painted before getting an electrician in to give me a quote for the work.  At current rate of progress I guess I'm still a few weeks away from that.

Thanks again for your kind comments.

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D

Today's progress report is "there has been no progress" :O

This is because Mondays are spent with our 4 year old grandson :) who is heavily into Thomas the Tank so plenty or railway related fun today.  Feeling completely shattered though, as is the norm on a Monday evening.

Tomorrow, I have the dubious pleasure of attending our local NHS hospital Hearing Centre - the first step towards hearing aids, an "Old G*t" fashion necessity these days.  So I'm not sure how much I will get done tomorrow.

That's all for now.

Regards,

Brian.

Hi Brian, like mine there's no hurry, its better to have it warm and right than cold and quick.

All the best mate.

...and all the best to you too, Andy.  Just about to hop across to your Bitton thread.

Best Regards,

Brian.

Made a bit of progress this morning Jabliting and lining to window wall just to the right of the window as you view it internally.  This wall is I guess 75% complete which leaves the two ends and, of course, the roof to complete.

Some more dodgy phone pics follow.

Firstly a view of the part of area to the left and below the window which neatly shows the phases of work.   The left hand panel shows the internal surface of the T&G shed wall with my pipe insulation spacers, the centre panel shows the double layerbubble wrap stuff stapled into position and the right hand panel is the completed mdf/Jablite.

post-1115-0-75719100-1412704788_thumb.jpg

Secondly, a view of the end wall already "bubble wrapped" and awaiting Jablite and mdf - Old Codgers' day at B&Q tomorrow beckons.  Sorry about the flare from the slver bubble wrap.  Quite sunny here this afternoon - some cheap venetian blinds are planned over the windows.

post-1115-0-22322900-1412705292_thumb.jpg

And finally, a new acquisition, £29.99 from Screwfix - couldn't resist.

post-1115-0-58341800-1412705465_thumb.jpg

Enjoy the rest of the evening folks.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 3

More "biblical" rainfall this morning prevented me from getting down to B&Q until mid afternoon - didn't want the mdf to get too wet carrying it to the car.

I also seem to have spent quite a few hours today with recalcitrant computers!

I'm typing this on my little Intel Atom powered net-book (which I hadn't used for a while and therefore needed to spend a while updating itself) because my main laptop has decided to go all unco-operative on me.  It boots up ok if a little slower than normal then goes into complete slow motion or no motion.  Fortunately it is still under gaurantee (just) so a phone call to Toshiba tomorrow is required.  I suspect a virus which the warranty won't cover but at least I have a way forward.

Tomorrow morning's forecast is mainly dry so should get some more work done in the shed, fingers crossed.

Regards,

Brian.

Hi Brian, re your window, in my Potting Shed I will be having thin plywood panels to drop into a channel along the bottom of the window, with a couple of clips at the top.

A = it will keep the sun out when I'm not in there,

B = it will look like a solid wall from the outside when I'm not in there, and hopefully prevent any Scroat thinking they can get in through the window easily.

• Like 4

Hi Brian, re your window, in my Potting Shed I will be having thin plywood panels to drop into a channel along the bottom of the window, with a couple of clips at the top.

A = it will keep the sun out when I'm not in there,

B = it will look like a solid wall from the outside when I'm not in there, and hopefully prevent any Scroat thinking they can get in through the window easily.

Thanks for the tip, Andy.  I was thinking of adding some shutters of some sort.  This job is a little way down the track so to speak so "filed for future reference".

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 3