Deneside - BR North Eastern Region

Brian D

I have made a good deal of progress today despite the showers and dealing with Toshiba.

The end wall is now almost complete - only one more 370 mm deep board to fit.  The rectangular board is cut ready (courtesy of B&Q) but needs cutting by yours truly to fit the slopes of the roof.  I'll get this done tomorrow and also hopefully finish off the window wall but I need some more Jablite for that.

Good news on the lap top front. Having spent nearly an hour on the phone this morning, including being talked through various interesting tests, it seems it is after all a hardware fault so covered by the warranty and it is being picked up tomorrow by courier to go to the Toshiba Repair Depot (I know not where this is!) and could be gone for up to 10 working days.  Hopefully my little net book will keep soldiering on in this period.

Regards,

Brian.

Good Evening all,

Work has continued today in between a trip out to get groceries and another sheet of Jablite.  I cut the 8 x 4 sheet in half length wise, making two 8 x 2 sheets, which , when stacked, just fit in the Mazda provided the front passenger seat is reclined.  So Mrs D has to sit immediately behind the chauffeur (i.e. me) and do her "Your Madge" impression  :jester:  :jester:

So, the end wall is finished and the window wall is approximately 80% done I would guess.  I need to finish this and the door wall, all of which involve fiddly mdf board cuts so will be time consuming.  Then the roof.  Getting there.

Off to a semi local exhibition in Dartford, Kent tomorrow morning with number one grandson, his first experience of a model rail show.  Looking forward to it.

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 2

We had a great time at the Wilmington show yesterday.  My Grandson was goggle eyed watching the layout and some very friendly operators engaged him in conversation and explained what was going on - greatly appreciated.  What a nice friendly show.

Spent an hour in the shed yesterday and a couple of hours this afternoon.  Three walls of the shed are now completely insulated and lined.  The door wall has been "bubble wrapped" and I have enough Jablite to complete it but not enough mdf.  Another trip to B&Q on Tuesday, and hopefully I can get all the walls finished this week.  Next, the roof!

Regards,

Brian

• Like 2

Coming on well I see Brian.

Very nice.

Thanks, Andy.  Still a few weeks away from getting everything finished (i.e. the interior of the shed completely insulated, lined, sealed and painted) to the point that I can get an electrician in to do the necessary.  Enjoying this part of the build though - love working with wood (but to a lesser degree the bubble wrap stuff and the Jablite)!  It's just such a nice feeling to "plan, do, complete", especially when the last few screws are driven home through the final sheet of mdf lining that completes the wall.

Your interest in my ramblings is much appreciated.

Best regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D

Hmm.  No 9 mm mdf to be had at my nearest B&Q at Thurrock Lakeside today - none expected in until Friday.  Looks like a trip to one or other (or even both) of the Romford stores after the dentist tomorrow.  However, I did pick up a 5 litre bottle of their own make PVA adhesive for £8 which I thought great value and which, when diluted, I'll use to seal all the internal surfaces of the mdf prior to a couple of coats of emulsion.

Beware of their website stock checker though - it says this board is in stock at Lakeside when clearly it isn't  :O

Regards,

Brian.

'Evening, All,

An eventful trip to B&Q at Gallows Corner, Romford this afternoon.  A journey that should have taken 25 minutes took an hour - road works eastbound on the A12, three lanes down to one lane at the Ardleigh Green lights - hrmph.  The news at B&Q was good and bad - the good news was they had the 9 mm mdf in stock, the bad news was I had to wait half an hour for my cuts - hrmph, hrmph.

As a consequence of all the delays, I only spent about an hour in the shed when I got home but managed to fit the board immediately to the left of the door, a one piece rectangle 1880 x 575 mm (courtesy of B&Q) with a small triangle cut off by yours truly to accommodate the roof slope.

In between getting three new tyres put on the Mazda tomorrow, I will hopefully finish the rest of the door wall tomorrow.

Won't be doing much on Friday and Saturday - off to the Peterborough show with Mrs D.  :sungum:

Regards,

Brian

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 1

Just back late this afternoon from the Peterborough show.  A bit of a ritual for me and Mrs D from the very first show at the venue.  We have always stayed over on the Friday night at the Premier Inn down the road a bit.

A good show I thought today but a bit thin on the floor (in terms of floor space occupied by exhibitors) and thin in terms of numbers attending - no queues to get in when we arrived as we have experienced in the past.

No matter, we enjoyed our visit today.

Highlight?  It has to be seeing Dave Shakespeare's diorama in the foyer area.  Truly inspirational and very moving.

Back in the shed soon.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

I managed to get in the shed this afternoon for a couple of hours.  Having bought some 34 x 18 mm par softwood battens last week, I fitted one to the eaves each side of the shed from the end wall to the centre steel support.  These battens will support the mdf ceiling sheets at the eaves, the other supports being the main ridge and mid slope roof members.

I am now ready to insulate and line out half of the roof following a trip to you-know-where tomorrow for another sheet of mdf and another sheet of Jablite.

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 1

Progress report.

Considerable progress made today "sans grandson" (we will have him on Wednesday this week, not the normal Monday).

Firstly, a trip to B&Q to get two more sheets of 8 x 4 9mm mdf (including cuts) and 2 same size 25 mm Jablite boards.  The Jablite was cut up as usual in the car park, this time the right size to fit between the roof beams so saved a bit of mess in the shed.

Then, this afternoon, I spent about 2 and a half hours in the shed (and in the drive finessing the mdf) and have completely insulated and lined half the roof.  Unfortunately (a) the forecast for tomorrow will probably mean not much progress made after dentist for an extraction and elsewhere for a haircut and ( I don't think I've got enough mdf and Jablite to finish the roof (almost but not quite).  However, hopefully by the end of the week all the walls and the ceiling will be finished in terms of insulating and lining and I can move on to sealing and painting the mdf.

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 1

Good Evening Viewers,

Latest update.

No progress in the shed yesterday or the day before. Today, however, I have completed another quarter of the roof and had a hair cut! Before going to the barbers, I estimated that I had just enough mdf but not enough Jablite so, after haircut, another sheet of Jablite was brought home.

More non railway related shopping trips are planned for tomorrow morning but hopefully I will complete the roof tomorrow pm.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

Good evening all,

A bit of a land mark shed-wise today.

All of the walls and the roof are now fully insulated and lined out internally with mdf  :sungum: , apart from the door which I will sort out later.

So, next steps are to seal the mdf paneled roof and walls and then apply a couple of coats of emulsion paint.  I fancy white for the roof a sky blue for the walls.  Once the painting is finished, I'll get the electrics sorted.

Sorry that there have been no photos posted lately.  The dead laptop has now been repaired and was returned to me yesterday with a new hard disc drive installed resulting in some lost data and downloads :cry: .  After much updating of Windows, anti-virus, reinstaling software, etc, I am now sending this message on the aforementioned repaired laptop.  :)  :)  :)

Nearly time for zzzzzzzzzzzzs.  Over and out.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

I took a couple of snaps just now with my phone showing the completed insulation and lining - see below.

post-1115-0-03068400-1414242984_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-24035200-1414243017_thumb.jpg

I'm starting to get excited now - whoopie doo.

Calm down, calm down.

Anyway, while we were out this morning I popped into B&Q and found a nice tin of their own make "sky blue" matt emulsion - ideal for the walls once they have been sealed.  I'm hoping I've got enough matt white left overs for the roof.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 4

Isn't the bottom brace (hope that's the correct term) on that door upside down?

Hi sp1,

Thanks for your comment.  You may be right about that brace but it's only a shed door (not a particularly heavy door like you see on loco sheds) and there is a further horizontal brace below and three substantial hinges externally.  I'm focusing on sealing and painting the mdf so I can get the electrics sorted  - that's what I see as the critical path.  However, I intend to add additional edge timber to the door and insulate and line it with mdf as the rest of the shed.  This should stiffen up the door even further.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

Looking really good Brian, once the electrics are in I'll be looking forward to seeing base boards pop up. By the way, you can't have to many 13 amp sockets. Hopefully you will not mind my making a suggestion re- shed. Fitting guttering along the sides will prevent rain from the roof splashing up from the ground and continually soaking the lower wall and possibly up under the floor. Having seen the care taken so far, this maybe something you have already thought of, but on my own shed, fitting guttering has helped considerably.

Regards Brian. ( wireman ) Brampton Road.

Edited by wireman
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion, wireman (and greetings from the Wye Valley).  I'll keep an eye on the rain splashing phenomenon you mention. Hopefully this wont be an issue for me.  I have placed pea shingle behind the shed on two sides, principally to keep the weeds down.  The other two sides are lawn.  Nevertheless, I'll monitor that and fit gutters and downpipes as necessary.  Thanks again for your advice.

Regards,

Brian. 

Back from our short break in the beautiful Wye Valley, I ventured into the shed this morning for a little bit of a tidy up.  Can't do much else today, getting too dark out there now for my temporary lighting.  Tomorrow I'll crack on with sealing the mdf.

In the meantime, I thought I would share with you some of my initial layout thoughts.

Before doing that I will tell you about the problems I had with my laptop.  Although my laptop has been repaired, I have learnt a severe lesson about carrying out regular back ups.  The laptop was repaired under the 12 month warranty by having the hard disc drive replaced.  All data there on was wiped and it came back with just the basic Windows operating system (the despicable Windows 8 and McAfee antivirus.  I had not backed up the relatively new laptop for several months - well, it was new, wasn't it, I wasn't expecting any problems.  Along with some other bits, I lost my AnyRail files.  But I did take some prints at the time so I have phone pics of those A4 prints to share with you.

Based on 4 mk1 coach express trains (an improvement on the existing of 1 additional coach) or possibly 5 short gresleys, I fancied a spiral type layout as shown below.

post-1115-0-25115300-1414861668_thumb.jpg

Basically this design is very greedy having a main terminus served by a twin track branch, an intermediate station alongside a colliery and a fiddle yard under the main terminus.  I developed the plan thus.

post-1115-0-13519800-1414862061_thumb.jpg

Not being able to satisfactorily fathom out in my mind how the "buried" fiddle yard would work and could be built, I then considered  shortening the branch from a spiral to a "U" shape with a simple fiddle yard shown behind the colliery station/branch off a branch as shown below.

post-1115-0-42727200-1414862280_thumb.jpg

In all three plans, the grey blocks at the top and top right represent scenic town areas and I think you can just see a skew bridge over the station throat.  A curved viaduct is also envisaged on leaving the main terminus.

Any comments, critiques or comments on these initial proposals are welcomed.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 6

Looking at the plan- right at the bottom is the line between the crossover and the lower branch of the Y-point redundant?

All the very best

Les

Thanks for that, Les.  If I have understood you correctly (apologies if I haven't), what I have not shown is where the scenic part ends and the off scene part starts.  I imagined a skew bridge just at the entry to the fiddle yard (just ahead of the Y point) maintaining the appearance of a dual track main line up to that point.  The junction is very simple and allows only access to the "branch off a branch" and colliery sidings from the direction of the main terminus.  Thus I envisage a shuttle passenger service between the main and branch stations and coal trains leaving the fiddle yard and proceeding to the reception siding at the main terminus for collection by the colliery loco.

I've added some lines to the plan to try and show the skew bridge and back scene position.

post-1115-0-63661800-1414930023_thumb.jpg

I hope this clarifies my thinking.

Regards,

Brian.

Getting close to the good bits now Brian, look forward to the next episode!

Hope you enjoyed your break in the Wye.

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thanks, Jock.  I'll post some pics on here of our travels which included the Dean Forest Railway.  We had a great time - beautiful part of the world.

Regards,

Brian.

Thanks, Jock.  I'll post some pics on here of our travels which included the Dean Forest Railway.  We had a great time - beautiful part of the world.

Regards,

Brian.

I wasn't planning to visit the DFR but inclement weather forced us to seek a "museum" on the satnav and we eventually ended up at Park End station on the line.  A very nice chap in the DFR museum offered a tour or the workshops which was greatly appreciated.  In between the rain I managed a few shots and caught the arriving dmu.

post-1115-0-11938300-1414964558_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-20483200-1414964609_thumb.jpg

Don't you just love the autumn colours in the trees.

Oh, and you will see I didn't cross the line  :angel:

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

Looking really nice ! I like the shed you have done it out pretty nice inside, I am still torn on paying for a large shed and kitting that out for a railway room or do I stick with the loft. Both cost the same amount to do out but hey ho time will tell. Look forward to seeing the layout progress however !