Deneside - BR North Eastern Region

Brian D

Looks great. 

Brian. The small details are starting to bring it to life. Nicely done

Really starting to come to life now Brian.  I think your row of cottages and the stores on the end looks very believable.  Enjoyed your whole thread so far...

Best Regards

Thanks very much for the feedback guys - much appreciated.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 3

Not a great deal of progress has been made on the actual layout this week but I have been tweaking the couplings of my DMUs, the reason being that buffer locking was occurring when exiting platform 1 transitioning to the up main.  Also, for quite a while now, I have been looking at a two-car class 108 on offer from Hattons for the atractive price of £72.50, which compared to some of the other DMUs offered is quite a bargain I think.  I already have a three car class 108 and I thought a five car formation would be great. So I succumbed and duly ordered the two-car unit which arrived in yesterday's post.  After some experimentation with different couplings to obtain the closest coupling without buffer locking, the formation is now made up - see below.

Firstly, arriving round the bend (please note the house backs have been plonked there for now but won't be staying in that location)...

post-1115-0-73714400-1457891357_thumb.jpg

...and duly directed into platform 1 which it virtually fills...

post-1115-0-93717400-1457891626_thumb.jpg

...and now departing.

post-1115-0-00266200-1457891694_thumb.jpg

The new 2-car unit is a little out of place being a Midland Region unit (M50626 + M56212) whilst my original 3-car set is a North Eastern Region unit (E50642 + E59386 + E50620) so some renumbering will have to take place at some time.  I will research this on railcar.co.uk .

I am also tidying up the shed at the moment.  I need to dismantle my old layout to start construction of the other side of the U.  Also the goods yard area of the layout is currently occupied by my cutting mat work station so I need to move this also to the other side of the shed so that I can lay the other track under the station throat skew bridge and finalise the bridge abutments which impacts on the area to the rear leading to the loco depot.

Warmer weather is on its way so more baseboards will be constructed soon I hope - I much prefer doing this outside.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 8

Just popped in again to say that I really like the way this is growing - can hardly wait to see it completed.  Oh wait, layouts never are completed . . . . 

Cheers,

William

Yes indeed William.  I might get to "substantially complete" but not "completely finished" :jester:

Regards,

Brian.

Quite a bit of progress today.  I popped over to Chelmsford (to the John Dutfield shop) and bought the four points and corresponding point motors required to finish the main station i.e. the goods yard and headshunt.

I have disconnected the fiddle yard from the old layout and stashed it away under the new baseboards.  This has given access to the top of a chest of draws which will serve as my work station for the next phase.  I then had a bit of a tidy up.  Before...

post-1115-0-24851300-1457981470_thumb.jpg

...and after.

post-1115-0-50225700-1457981521_thumb.jpg

This area is the next to receive track.  The final three interconnecting points at the station throat have had their droppers soldered on and have been spray painted.  The track bed has also been painted grey ready to receive them tomorrow hopefully.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 5

Looking very good Brian, Tidy up? yes that reminds me! :O

Thanks Andy.  Tidiness is not one of my strengths :jester:

Brian,

It really is coming along at a great rate mate, most impressive!

Kind regards,

Jock

Thanks for all of your "Likes" Jock - good to see you back, I was getting concerned.

Progress is "little but often".  We are now (grand)child minding two days a week, today being one of those days, but I managed to get a little bit done today.

Best Regards,

Brian.

Brian,

You've no idea just how much I've missed it, and I am very impressed how far your layout has come since I last saw it! - a lot of weathering to be accomplished I assume? How are the electrics working by the way - because I have such a small number of points,

I am considering following Pete(Burscough Curves) of this parish method of 'wire in tube' control!

Keep up the great work, even as a steam lover, your multiple unit looks spot on!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

Hi Jock,

Thanks Jock again for looking in and your very kind words.  Hmm, weathering - I'll get round to it eventually :)

The electrics are performing as I'd hoped.  I can switch all the sections so far energised between either controller.  Eventually all sections on the layout will be similarly wired so that in theory I can run two trains at once, one departing on the up main line and one arriving on the down line.

The main difficulty has been fitting the Seep PM1 point motors so that frog polarity is reliably switched - although I am getting better at this.  It is nice though to have everything controlled from one panel.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

Some pictures follow of what I've been up to the last day or so.

Firstly, the station throat points are nearing completion.

post-1115-0-18053300-1458154521_thumb.jpg

The nearest point and short curved plain track, at the time of the photo, had not been glued down and ballasted.

I have also been trying to set out the goods yard roads.

post-1115-0-80363200-1458154728_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-36193900-1458154770_thumb.jpg

The goods shed will probably be moved and the location used for the cattle dock as it is a bit of a view blocker.  I'll have another trial set up once the goods arrival road is in place.

Lastly, I thought the class 37 + diesel brake tender would be the longest "loco" needing to occupy the isolated end of the goods arrival road so this was placed insitu and measured so I know where to place the isolating rail joiner.

post-1115-0-88445400-1458154986_thumb.jpg

The goods yard area and headshunt will be the focus of activity for the immediate future.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 9

Looks nice Brian, I do agree about possibly moving the Goods Shed though. The rest looks spot on.

Thanks again, Andy.  I'll have a fiddle about in the next few days.  We've had three days on the trot of grandchild minding so I'm amazed how much I've got done.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

Great pictures.  Everything's coming together nicely - and that goods shed looks a treat.

Thanks, William.  Goods shed is unadulterated Scalescenes but slightly unfinished.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

Track laying in the goods area continues. Part of the Goods Arrival road has been glued and ballasted and the remainder (beyond the isolating track joiner) has been sleeper spaced and spray painted ready to go down tomorrow.

I have decided to move the Goods Shed to the siding immediately adjacent and parallel to the Goods Arrival road and move the coal/cattle facilities accordingly.  To enhance this, I have decided to add 3 inches or so to the baseboard width in this area which will give me more modelling possibilities re goods yard road vehicles etc.  The revised track plan shown below will hopefully clarify what I have just outlined.

post-1115-0-00468900-1458328583_thumb.jpg

I probably won't get a huge amount done this weekend because I'm off to Ally Pally on Sunday for the BRM/Warners exhibition (shopping list prepared  :)  ).

Regards,

Brian.

EDIT - just to say the cattle dock is a bit oversize on the plan.

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 6

Following a quick trip to B&Q to source a suitable piece of timber for the baseboard extension mentioned above and, as I'd hoped, I've had a bit of time this afternoon to lay the short length of track to complete the Goods Arrival road and construct the baseboard extension see below.

post-1115-0-60360400-1458409691_thumb.jpg

The extension sticks out like a sore thumb at the moment but it will be fine once it has scenery on it and painted.  The newly laid track can be seen in the back ground suitably weighted down.

I also found my short rake of weathered cattle wagons and checked the cattle dock siding for length.

post-1115-0-76305700-1458410009_thumb.jpg

I'm really pleased with the baseboard extension.  This area would have been quite cramped without it.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I've been helping a mate add an extension piece to his 7mm garage layout today.

Seeing what Brian has done and what we did today makes me tempted to do something with one of the stations on my layout where the goods yard would benefit from a slight widening of the space between the two tracks.

Thanks for the idea Brian.

• Like 3

I've been helping a mate add an extension piece to his 7mm garage layout today.

Seeing what Brian has done and what we did today makes me tempted to do something with one of the stations on my layout where the goods yard would benefit from a slight widening of the space between the two tracks.

Thanks for the idea Brian.

Actualy Ray, I may be mistaken but I think I got the idea from "coachmann" of this parish.  He did something similar on his layout thread IIRC.

Regards,

Brian.

This is looking great, I like the new goods shed position and the extension so you'll have some space in front of it for a cameo of trucks etc. You're obviously on a roll so keep it up.

Tom

Exactly right Tom, and I think the goods yard area will "flow" much better.

Regards,

Brian.

Love the work done, Brian.  How far along in the work would you say you are? 1/3 . . . 1/4?

Difficult to say, probably no more than 30%.  The baseboards are complete for half the "U" shape (the top half looking at the layout plan on the previous post) - hoping to commence the other half when the weather warms up a bit so I can do the major carpentry outside the shed.  The 4 platform roads, loco yard (except the two tracks heading south from the turntable) and the main line 90 degree bends are complete and fully wired/switched and I can drive trains over these areas using either controller.  The goods arrival road is down and ballasted but not electrically live.  The goods shed road has been sleeper spaced, wire droppers soldered on and sprayed track colour - hopefully I'll get it laid and balasted tomorrow.  The two other goods sidings will follow later in the week.  Then I need to fit 4 point motors and get the whole goods area electrically live.  Scenically, the area behind platform 1 from buffer stops to station throat (church/retaining wall/cottages) is pretty much complete bar a bit of weathing and cameos, although I did buy some more grave stones at Ally Pally yesterday.  The station building is incomplete and I'm minded to add platform canopies.  The footbridge needs painting in NE Region style.  The station throat overline bridge needs to be built including both abutments and roads accessing the loco shed and goods yard at each end of this span with associated scenics.

Loads to do in other words :jester:

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1