Deneside - BR North Eastern Region

Brian D

22 hours ago, imt said:

Tha's going ter need a lot of holes in that flat roof for ropes and thingy's?

Indeed.  I need to cut down part of the card kit to fit the flat roof and this will fit within the girdering, not quite as existed at Easington but it will do.  A trip to Hobbycraft is planned for Sunday (free parking in Basildon) to get some appropriate Tamiya acrylic paint for the "steel" structure.  With the cut down part of the kit, that should just about finish if off.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 3

The cable enclosure part of the card kit has been cut to fit, incorporating cable holes in the roof and some of the kits' handrails and a Ratio signal kit ladder added prior to painting tomorrow.

IMG_20191026_175104.jpg.55f3e9064f5a7f56afab81e32b31ecae.jpg

IMG_20191026_175116.jpg.910071347a4ea849bce255777f5b6432.jpg

IMG_20191026_175125.jpg.59eb8ebf50f012a9a935fad2f5b37017.jpg

Once painted tomorrow I can place this and the heapstead on which it sits on the layout and chuck away the mock up and another box will be ticked.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/10/2019 at 19:44, Andrew P said:

As you say,  a real Beauty Brian, there is  something about short stumpy parallel Boilered Locos IMHO, just lovely, especially in that lined livery as well.

Yo Bogit

See I always told you GER was good but you wouldn't have it.

Hi Brian

I am enjoying watching how your layout is developing. I wasn't too sure the coal mine would work but it seems to, well done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Barry O said:

All you need now is the thrum of the fans..only ever noticed when they were switched off during holiday fortnight in the summer.

Baz

Baz,

I don't really remember the fan noise but I do remember laying in bed in my Aunt Sarah's house in Station Road and hearing the clang clang clang of the loose coupled hoppers being shunted when I was trying to get to sleep, probably late 50s.  Happy days.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 4

the clang clang clang of the loose coupled hoppers being shunted

That takes me back . . . I lived "up Canada" . . . Holme hill Estate, and the clanking could be heard all night long. . . .It always seemed lounder on foggy days/nights . .  .and, of course, the smell of coal fires.

Oh nostalgia!!!

John

edited for spellink.

Edited by Two_sugars
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

FWIW I stayed in the Missions to Seamen hostel at Mill Dam, South Shields, in early December 1978. Just across the road was Harton Staithes, and I can confirm it was a 24/7 operation there - the sound of buffers clanging away all night, whilst music to the ears of a railway fan, was not conducive to a good night's sleep before my Entrance Examinations at the Marine School the following day...

I still passed them though :)

Mark

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 31/10/2019 at 00:57, Two_sugars said:

Oh nostalgia!!!

I'm told it's not what it used to be - but then I think this layout is proving an excellent exception.  Love the terraces and the the beautiful mine buildings.   Not really my area - I was Morrison Busty and Charlie.  Watching NCB locos at Oxhill Crossing.  Them woz the days.  By the bye - weyars them cables hinnee?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, imt said:

By the bye - weyars them cables hinnee?

I am currently working on the winding house following the completion of which the cables will be installed me bonny lad. :)

Regards

Brian

• Like 2

We've been away for a few days in Norfolk so I took some materials and tools with me and managed to do a bit of "mardling" as they say thereabouts.  So some progress has been made on the winding house main walls...

IMG_20191105_171508.jpg.4b82a172f16b84991d6b85b63de188e6.jpg

...which when properly finished will look a bit like this.

IMG_20191105_171909.jpg.31a56e1ccdf9cdf3f151a0aaebf57a7d.jpg

The two small holes in the nearest gable end are for the cables, more about which at a later date.

Whilst in Norfolk, a ride on the North Norfolk Railway was a must and the train engine was this beauty,

P1030527reduced.jpg.af043b9c0361e4d9b24d9eaf45cb2199.jpg

A video is in the course of preparation.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
On 01/11/2019 at 12:00, Two_sugars said:

My father stared his working life in M.B. and told tales of 18 seams . . the Busty seam,

later worked the same seam in Easington but not so narrow.

John

My only trip down the pit was on a school trip down Easington in Colliery.

Apart from letting the cage bounce on the way down (keps not activated), the "highlight" was a trip into the 18" seam. Dark, low roof and the coal cutter made a lot 9f racket. As it was a self moving face the dowty roof supports moved forward with the cutter so lots of noise from the roof. 

I realised then that I was not claustrophobic!

Baz

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Barry O said:

My only trip down the pit was on a school trip down Easington in Colliery.

I realised then that I was not claustrophobic!

Baz

Same with me. . .I was about 14/15. I went straight up to see my Grandad afterwards and his words still ring in me ears after more than 50 years.

EEh! Our John! . . . Divn't Yeah gan doon the Bloody pit!!

John

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

Same with me. . .I was about 14/15. I went straight up to see my Grandad afterwards and his words still ring in me ears after more than 50 years.

EEh! Our John! . . . Divn't Yeah gan doon the Bloody pit!!

John

The only "mine" I've been in is the drift mine at Beamish which being part of the Open Air Museum gives a flavour of mine work underground by very nice museum staff/volunteers.  Not quite the same as descending 1400 ft as at Easington though.  Me and my elder brother moved down to Essex when I was three and he was a about 11 but even had we stayed in the North East I doubt very much whether there would have been any encouragement from our parents to work for the NCB.

Thanks for all your comments chaps.

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The winding house is complete as shown here...

IMG_20191107_173523.jpg.dbae0303bdfcfaa297f881198b722e54.jpg

...and on the layout.

IMG_20191107_174723.jpg.62680e81eb58290a6c2df76767d70a0d.jpg

IMG_20191107_174653.jpg.e44ae4461b6af4cfb729cf5804277eee.jpg

I asked my wife whether she had any grey cotton which I thought would do for the pulley cables to go here...

IMG_20191107_174713.jpg.f33b36c0bd0f191083795fc021b7740e.jpg

...but the cotton looked a bit thin and hairy to me so I'll have to use something else.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice. 

I’ve  been resolving forces . . . should the angled girders go right down to ground level and thus be visible in the gap between the buildings?

Maybe they are!

Paul.