Deneside - BR North Eastern Region

Brian D

It's been a busy day today.  I was up moderately early to video a Steam Dreams tour passing on our local line (the Tilbury Loop on the former LTSR now operated by C2C) featuring the preserved B1 "Mayflower".  Here is the video.

What a great sight this is to be by the lineside when these trains fly by.  loved it.

Anyway, much later I managed a couple of hours or so at the Alley Pally exhibition.  I made a few purchases, more of which another time.  So, all railwayed up today :jester:

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 6

G'day mate,

I think it is. These rail tours in UK follow circuitous routes to get the path through existing timetabled traffic. I checked the Steam Dreams  brochure and this particular tour is only steam hauled to West London. I assume the diesel does the rest on a reversal somewhere. 

Regards, 

Brian 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The work at "Little Easington" continues slowly.  Meanwhile I made a bridge of sorts.

IMG_20190327_171422.jpg.67f0b59a22c96fd73cc623c773c52584.jpg

The purpose of the bridge is to support the bridge...............camera :jester: thus.

IMG_20190327_171459.jpg.65b3853a9daf779c831be8f5caff9e88.jpg

This will give another view point of trains heading directly towards and under the camera.  I have captured some video clips using this bridge and I will edit them and upload to YT - watch this space.

In the meantime I have uploaded another "heritage" video featuring the Vale of Rhiedol Railway at Devils Bridge.  Spectacular stuff - if you have never visited this narrow gauge railway I thoroughly recommend it.  The video is here...

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 7

I have been doing a bit of back working today.  The station building was "completed" a while back now but sadly without chimney pots and signage of any sort.  I recently purchased some 3D printed hexagonal pots from Smart Models in the Easter sale so these have been added to the main station building along with some signage.

IMG_20190329_173419.jpg.dd2e5658747a6aac6a6670bd91beb3b0.jpg

IMG_20190329_173133.jpg.1ffcac90e863ba89cc8db80e496c50f6.jpg

Getting there, slowly.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 8

Hi Brian;

Enjoying those videos - thanks for making them!

Just a heads up; have you seen Rails have some Bachmann ER stock going *very* cheap?  I picked up a DCC ready V1/3 to replace a split chassis one that I've not gotten around to chipping - will on-sell the old one to offset it. 

There's ROD's, K3's and an A1, too...

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jukebox said:

Hi Brian;

Enjoying those videos - thanks for making them!

Just a heads up; have you seen Rails have some Bachmann ER stock going *very* cheap?  I picked up a DCC ready V1/3 to replace a split chassis one that I've not gotten around to chipping - will on-sell the old one to offset it. 

There's ROD's, K3's and an A1, too...

Cheers

Scott

Yes indeed. One V3 tank ordered and on its way. Cheep as chips, relatively speaking :jester:

Best Regards 

Brian 

• Like 3

Frustratingly, electrical gremlins have struck - platform 4 section is dead.  So, I have been trying to track down the fault with the multi-meter.  At times like this I wish I'd gone DCC.

IMG_20190405_175519com.jpg.949d72b9fa64a67d14eeff703a00ad2e.jpg

I have checked the rotary section switch which seems OK so not there.  I then looked at the common return board in the panel because I was not getting any reading on the rear (common return) rail in platform 4.  It looks a bit mankie...

IMG_20190405_171849comp.jpg.e8f0e81558e6b6991c35f77f7460bb3a.jpg

...so I have decided to replace it.

IMG_20190405_175530comp.jpg.1a8dac5049a954eb1cf2116ef0e30b82.jpg

I've still got 6 more wires to connect to it so fingers crossed.

Regards,

Brian.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Bloody hell Brian, birds nest or what? 

It's a little difficult to see clearly but the common contacts board you are replacing could be the answer as the old ones solder joints look a little lack lustre.

I went straight to DCC but I do have plenty of wires as I decided to place droppers from virtually every section of track plus some addition wiring from point frog switching.

Its a bit late now but I used 2 strips of PCB one for each rails +ve and -ve and soldered directly to them.  eg +ve feed into one pcb strip and -ve feed into the other giving me my 2 bus bars to connect to.

Good luck

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

It's a little difficult to see clearly but the common contacts board you are replacing could be the answer as the old ones solder joints look a little lack lustre.

I went straight to DCC but I do have plenty of wires as I decided to place droppers from virtually every section of track plus some addition wiring from point frog switching.

Its a bit late now but I used 2 strips of PCB one for each rails +ve and -ve and soldered directly to them.  eg +ve feed into one pcb strip and -ve feed into the other giving me my 2 bus bars to connect to.

Good luck

Spot on Barnaby.  A home made and soldered common contact strip is the item I'm replacing with a "manufactured" variant I purchased a while back just in case.

Regards,

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Don't believe all the propaganda.  Much as I love DCC there are lots of wires under the baseboard and in the control systems.  There are (as Barnaby said) lots of droppers - and as he recommended there is one to each bit of track for good contacts.  There is also in my case an accessories bus, connector wires between an NCE PowerCab and auxilliary ProCab and a few IRDOT connectors.

DCC doesn't help with control of signals an points very much, except more long numbers and multiple key presses, so you end up having to do more.  My locking and control - which sends out DCC commands to the accessories - is built round 2 NCE MiniPanels.  Lots of wires in there just like yours!  The bottom panel of course goes on the top of the box.

HOWEVER there are only 2 wires to the layout - 1 flat NCE bus cable and one similar cable that connects to some sensors.  Much easier to connect up.  My layout has a splitter underneath which takes off the accessory command into a separate bus.

IMG_0292.JPG

Edited by imt
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, imt said:

Don't believe all the propaganda.  Much as I love DCC there are lots of wires under the baseboard and in the control systems.  There are (as Barnaby said) lots of droppers - and as he recommended there is one to each bit of track for good contacts.  There is also in my case an accessories bus, connector wires between an NCE PowerCab and auxilliary ProCab and a few IRDOT connectors.

DCC doesn't help with control of signals an points very much, except more long numbers and multiple key presses, so you end up having to do more.  My locking and control - which sends out DCC commands to the accessories - is built round 2 NCE MiniPanels.  Lots of wires in there just like yours!  The bottom panel of course goes on the top of the box.

HOWEVER there are only 2 wires to the layout - 1 flat NCE bus cable and one similar cable that connects to some sensors.  Much easier to connect up.  My layout has a splitter underneath which takes off the accessory command into a separate bus.

IMG_0292.JPG

Lots of wires as you say but hardly a bird's nest like mine :jester:.

Too much family stuff today so I've not had time today to continue with the fault finding.  Hopefully tomorrow the gremlins will be banished.

Regards,

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 2

The common return board in the panel has now been fully replaced and all feeds reconnected.  In this pic there was only one more lead to reconnect

IMG_20190407_151908.jpg.bc0ffb25d52ffcbad75662f10d24130d.jpg

The layout is now running perfectly and the gremlins banished.  So I can put this away...

IMG_20190407_155555.jpg.26d2c2b2fdb316989344de4633104d71.jpg

...for now.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 4

After what seams like weeks, I have at last "finished" the final terrace of "Little Easington" as pictured here...

IMG_20190411_165607.jpg.3c24f59e424c502d129458db9eb614b5.jpg

...and on the layout.

IMG_20190411_173427.jpg.b1d28d94ad2c2c6522c28a78bbfa49f4.jpg

Apologies for the afternoon sun creeping in around the blinds.

I say "finished" because I have yet to add details like TV ariels (the old style 405? lines) and washing lines and of course a bit of weathering.

Meanwhile I have acquired two more Hornby Gresley & Thompson suburban carriages and I can now make up a 5 bogie rake which is the longest passenger train that will fit in the fiddle yard.  I'll make a video in due course but in the meantime here is the train, K1 headed, arriving.

IMG_20190411_180015.jpg.92c332cc6169dca6f265c1d692d317d5.jpg

IMG_20190411_180259.jpg.80f3813797ab05476ecdcb727cd4e1cd.jpg

Speaking of videos, if you like the West Somerset Railway you might like these two videos.

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 7