Deneside - BR North Eastern Region

Brian D

Hi Brian, its an FMR Product and was thirty quid when I bought it.

Thanks for that, Andy.  I've seen cheaper products but they do look a bit "Micky Mouse" so I've ordered the FMR starter pack (includes the applicator, glue and 4 packs of different colour "grass") which comes to just under £40 including postage.  I'm looking forward to having a dabble.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, Andy.  I've seen cheaper products but they do look a bit "Micky Mouse" so I've ordered the FMR starter pack (includes the applicator, glue and 4 packs of different colour "grass") which comes to just under £40 including postage.  I'm looking forward to having a dabble.

Regards,.

Brian.

Evening Brian, DONT try using the longer grasses, I have some 6mm and it wont works, I stick to the smaller stuff and its fine, once down and the sieve is empty go over the area again with the power on and you will see the grass re erect itself.

Good luck with that matey.

Evening Brian, DONT try using the longer grasses, I have some 6mm and it wont works, I stick to the smaller stuff and its fine, once down and the sieve is empty go over the area again with the power on and you will see the grass re erect itself.

Good luck with that matey.

Many thanks for your advice, Andy.  It's always good to hear the "voice of experience"  :)

Best Regards,

Brian.

Well, the pictures of "Brit" Oliver Cromwell are still in the big camera but I took a few phone pictures of the almost complete Scalescenes goods shed earlier.

Firstly, the main component parts.

post-1115-0-23956100-1422380747_thumb.jpg

Secondly. a couple of pics of the office pushed up against the main structure and the main roof resting in position.

post-1115-0-95137100-1422380901_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-83611800-1422380938_thumb.jpg

I still need to glue the main parts together (but might leave the main roof loose so internal access to the shed can be maintained to add interior detail), add the coping stones to the main gable ends and fit a chimney pot to the office.  All in all, I am quite pleased with it.

Regards,

Brian. 

• Like 7

Services suspended again due to platform demolition and reconstruction works - see below.

post-1115-0-63576700-1422640481_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-92114800-1422640528_thumb.jpg

The "engineers' train" was used for checking clearances.  One of the reasons why the platforms are being reconstructed, apart from the wobbly nature of the laminated cornflake packet construction of the original platforms, is that the rods on the Bachmann 08 shunter used to collide with the underside of the old platform edge - none of my steam locos exhibit this problem.

Hopefully, the new platforms will reopen tomorrow  :)

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 4

Hi Brian, Nice work on the Goods Shed and Platforms mate, 08 are a pain for that.

Thanks, Andy - I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering this 08 problem.  The model railway texts tell you to use your longest carriage to check platform clearances which I did when I built the original platforms and was somewhat miffed when this problem arose with my two 08s.  Another lesson learnt.

Regards.

Brian.

The main platform has now been reconstructed and the adjacent loading bank partly completed.  I'll finish tomorrow and post some pics here.  I've also decided to rebuild the original scratch-built station building to make it look a bit more "North Eastern".

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

Some pictures as promised.

This shows the platform complete and the loading bank awaiting its top surface.

post-1115-0-75775200-1422866235_thumb.jpg

This picture shows both the platform and loading bank complete with a temporary Scalescenes station building placed in position on the platform and the existing goods office, which I might retain, on the loading bank.

post-1115-0-68610200-1422866361_thumb.jpg

The last picture shows the existing station building which is about 9 or 10 years old now and which I never really got round to completing (no facias or gutters/downpipes).  There are also some glaring errors which I am not happy with - far too many chimney pots (what was I thinking) and the advertising signs are either too big or wrong period (e.g. the Shop at Binns sign).  Also, I used Metcalfe building paper which is a little too glossy to my eyes.

post-1115-0-15926000-1422866685_thumb.jpg

The new building will hopefully correct these errors and ommissions.

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Services suspended again due to platform demolition and reconstruction works - see below.

attachicon.gifplatform1.jpg

attachicon.gifplatform2.jpg

The "engineers' train" was used for checking clearances.  One of the reasons why the platforms are being reconstructed, apart from the wobbly nature of the laminated cornflake packet construction of the original platforms, is that the rods on the Bachmann 08 shunter used to collide with the underside of the old platform edge - none of my steam locos exhibit this problem.

Hopefully, the new platforms will reopen tomorrow  :)

Regards,

Brian.

Hi Brian

I have found the Bachy 08 coupling rods are too wide and out of loading gauge. On Hanging Hill I had to ban Bachy 08s from the shed. I had raised platforms in the shed and the coupling rods, or the cranks would catch under the platforms and the loco would get stuck. At one show I had to resort to a Heljan Brush 4 with a brake tender as a reach wagon to pull out a wedged 350. None of my other locos had the pulling power needed and the Heljan loco was too fat to get in the shed. Oh the joys of building things to correct dimensions, pity the RTR blokes don't.

See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61979-hanging-hill/?p=812922 for the platform problem.

Evening Brian. Coming along nicely. Looking forward to some more details

Thanks Duncan - will do but progress is slow despite me being retired.  I sometimes wonder how I had the time to go to work!

Regards,

Brian.

Excellent work Brian, great looking platforms mate.

Thanks for your kind words Andy.  I think the camera pics flatter my work but at least I think they are an improvement on what went before.  Also, this is really good practice for the new layout which I will commence once the weather warms up a bit.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 3

Hi Brian

I have found the Bachy 08 coupling rods are too wide and out of loading gauge. On Hanging Hill I had to ban Bachy 08s from the shed. I had raised platforms in the shed and the coupling rods, or the cranks would catch under the platforms and the loco would get stuck. At one show I had to resort to a Heljan Brush 4 with a brake tender as a reach wagon to pull out a wedged 350. None of my other locos had the pulling power needed and the Heljan loco was too fat to get in the shed. Oh the joys of building things to correct dimensions, pity the RTR blokes don't.

See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61979-hanging-hill/?p=812922 for the platform problem.

Couldn't agree more with you comments Clive and thanks for popping in.  Your tale of woe with the 08 wedged in the shed made me smile but I guess you weren't laughing at the time.

Regards,

Brian. 

Hi Brian,

I've been following for a while and thought it was time I showed my face and thanked you for your support. :)

Interestingly, I've had your layout on my PC since you first published it. If I was pressed for space I would have followed a similar route. I like the way that the urban backgrounds/low-reliefs, supported mainline locos without them looking out of place. Given the (satisfying but weighty) albatross that is my layout, I've been forced to take the sensible route and break it into doable modules rather than muck around here and there, which gets you nowhere in the long run; something I've taken too long learning!

Mention of the 08 issue is another reason I'm here. I'm busy with platforms just now and forewarned is forearmed. 

Looking forward to future developments,

Hal

• Like 3

Hi Brian,

I've been following for a while and thought it was time I showed my face and thanked you for your support. :)

Interestingly, I've had your layout on my PC since you first published it. If I was pressed for space I would have followed a similar route. I like the way that the urban backgrounds/low-reliefs, supported mainline locos without them looking out of place. Given the (satisfying but weighty) albatross that is my layout, I've been forced to take the sensible route and break it into doable modules rather than muck around here and there, which gets you nowhere in the long run; something I've taken too long learning!

Mention of the 08 issue is another reason I'm here. I'm busy with platforms just now and forewarned is forearmed. 

Looking forward to future developments,

Hal

Thanks, Hal.  It's amazing what pleasure I get out my feeble efforts.  A case in point was last night when I used some cast off card (window cut outs from the new station building and left over platform sides) to make some stairs from ground level up to the loading bank.  I'll post a picture tomorrow to show you what I mean.

Regards,

Brian.

PS Just caught up with your thread - see my post there.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Couldn't agree more with you comments Clive and thanks for popping in.  Your tale of woe with the 08 wedged in the shed made me smile but I guess you weren't laughing at the time.

Regards,

Brian. 

Hi Brian

The rescue attempt was very funny to watch, as soon as the shunter was free, it and the thunderbird shot off like rockets. It wasn't until I was packing up the layout buildings (my trusty operating crew always left me to break my own buildings) I noticed score marks under the platforms and we then worked out it was the Bachy 08s coupling rods, the oilers were digging into the plastic card of the platforms.

Hi Brian

The rescue attempt was very funny to watch, as soon as the shunter was free, it and the thunderbird shot off like rockets. It wasn't until I was packing up the layout buildings (my trusty operating crew always left me to break my own buildings) I noticed score marks under the platforms and we then worked out it was the Bachy 08s coupling rods, the oilers were digging into the plastic card of the platforms.

Yes, Clive.  I've worked out it was the oilers that were fouling my platform.  Also the centre crank pin seems to have a lot of sideways float and go out of gauge.

Regards,

Brian.

Thanks, Hal.  It's amazing what pleasure I get out my feeble efforts.  A case in point was last night when I used some cast off card (window cut outs from the new station building and left over platform sides) to make some stairs from ground level up to the loading bank.  I'll post a picture tomorrow to show you what I mean.

Regards,

Brian.

PS Just caught up with your thread - see my post there.

So.  You take a few bits........

post-1115-0-57730700-1423164972_thumb.jpg

...and, Hey Presto! ... erm...well, not exactly.  It took about an hour or so....

post-1115-0-54771500-1423165089_thumb.jpg

A small addition but, I think, an improvement which cost nothing in terms of (cast off) materials.  It also makes operational sense in that the station and loco staff can get to and from the track safely.

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 5

Just a little update on the station building and how I'm going about building it (and a little "back history").

I started off my career on a "sandwich course" in 1969 as a trainee Civil/Structural engineer.  For many years I was on the drawing board and thoroughly enjoyed it - Rotring pens, parallel motion, happy days.  The CAD revolution happened I can't remember when but by which time I was managing draftsmen, not actually doing it and thus missed out on acquiring the industry standard AutoCAD training.  None the less, it must have been around the year 2000 I purchased a copy of DesignCAD from PC World for about £50 - AutoCAD would at that time cost about £500 for the Lite version, the full version costing in the thousands.

Anyway, this cheapo CAD programme served me well and the latest version compliant with Windows 8.1 is called "TurboCAD Designer 20" - about £25 from Amazon (usual disclaimer).  Basically I use this program to "draw" the various building facades which I then print and glue (cheapo glue sticks, not the expensive stuff) to 2mm or 1mm thick grey board card.  I attach a jpg copy of the current plan I'm using.

post-1115-0-23876800-1423428945_thumb.jpg

Construction is based on Scalescenes techniques - basically a sandwich construction for the exterior walls, the windows being the "meat in the sandwich" as it were.

I'll post more pictures of progress soon.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

Just a quick update of what's going on.

The make-over of the existing layout continues.  Following reconstruction of the platform, I have added new running in boards.

post-1115-0-43434700-1423835886_thumb.jpg

I intend to add platform lamps, seats and passengers in due course.

Work continues, albeit slowly, on the new station building.  I couldn't resist adding the tangerine sign at an early stage.  Here are a couple of pics showing it temporarily placed on the platform.  The roof has yet to be tiled and fixed down properly and chimney caps and pots, gutters and down pipes and possibly a canopy are yet to be added.

post-1115-0-20360100-1423836186_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-17556500-1423836222_thumb.jpg

There is also a new (old?) addition to the loco roster.

post-1115-0-37472200-1423836301_thumb.jpg

This is a secondhand Lima model I picked up on a well known auction site.  For details of the help I received from fellow RMWebbers and the tinkering that look place see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85075-lima-brush-type-2-d5679-servicing-info-required/

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 3

Hi Brian looking good mate, I like the 31.

Very nice.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your comment.  I've always had a soft spot for the Brush Type 2s despite my kettle leanings  :jester:

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D