AMRA exhibition at Caulfield (Melbourne) 23rd and 24th August 2014

SRman

The Australian Model Railway Association (AMRA) Victorian Branch held their annual model railway exhibition at Caulfield racecourse in Melbourne this weekend just gone (23rd and 24th of August 2014).

I attended all day on Saturday as part of the British Railway Modellers of Australia (BRMA) display stand. I was also available to help out on the adjacent Model Bus Association of Australia (MBAA) stand if they had needed me (they didn't!) as we have quite a few people who are members of both.

The BRMA layout is really a demonstration layout built from recycled materials and is intended to inspire people to have a go themselves, as well as demonstrating various modelling techniques and DCC and sound. 

DougN and I travelled there together and when this photo was taken, he was fulfilling his role on the construction table admirably!

CaulfieldAMRAExhibition23-08-14-2_zpse73

BRMA member Bill and I mostly operated the layout - this is Bill as I was behind the camera. We start the day on analogue DC then switch over to DCC control.

CaulfieldAMRAExhibition23-08-14-1_zps25f

I didn't get many photos on the day of other layouts but I did get out for a short time. There were quite a few British layouts there this year so the few photos I took concentrated on some of those.

Glenn Jones of the BRMA had his OO Southern Glory - Lulworth layout there. This uses DCC control and has a new section added since last year, so now consists of two dioramas with connected hidden fiddle yards. His modelling is to a very high standard indeed. 

CaulfieldAMRAExhibition23-08-14-6_zpsc46

CaulfieldAMRAExhibition23-08-14-7_zpseee

The BRMA stand was adjacent to a British N gauge layout, Hawesdale, which also showed off some very nice modelling.

CaulfieldAMRAExhibition23-08-14-4_zpsec0

CaulfieldAMRAExhibition23-08-14-5_zps832

CaulfieldAMRAExhibition23-08-14-3_zps480

On our other side was the MBAA layout with trams and Faller system road vehicles running around, Occasionally, a radio-controlled truck or bus could make an appearance too.

CaulfieldAMRAExhibitionMBAA-2_zps8e16c1b

CaulfieldAMRAExhibitionMBAA-4_zps09e583f

Victoria Street was there too and I meant to go back and get some photos but ended up running out of time.

Trevor (XDFord) dropped by to say hello, and we had a chat and mutually agreed that it was nice to be able to put faces to  names.

If you attended, then please feel free to post your photos here too, as mine are a very incomplete record of the event.

• RMweb Premium

The Australian Model Railway Association (AMRA) Victorian Branch held their annual model railway exhibition at Caulfield racecourse in Melbourne this weekend just gone (23rd and 24th of August 2014).

I attended all day on Saturday as part of the British Railway Modellers of Australia (BRMA) display stand. I was also available to help out on the adjacent Model Bus Association of Australia (MBAA) stand if they had needed me (they didn't!) as we have quite a few people who are members of both.

The BRMA layout is really a demonstration layout built from recycled materials and is intended to inspire people to have a go themselves, as well as demonstrating various modelling techniques and DCC and sound. 

DougN and I travelled there together and when this photo was taken, he was fulfilling his role on the construction table admirably!

CaulfieldAMRAExhibition23-08-14-2_zpse73

BRMA member Bill and I mostly operated the layout - this is Bill as I was behind the camera. We start the day on analogue DC then switch over to DCC control.

CaulfieldAMRAExhibition23-08-14-1_zps25f

I didn't get many photos on the day of other layouts but I did get out for a short time. There were quite a few British layouts there this year so the few photos I took concentrated on some of those.

Glenn Jones of the BRMA had his OO Southern Glory - Lulworth layout there. This uses DCC control and has a new section added since last year, so now consists of two dioramas with connected hidden fiddle yards. His modelling is to a very high standard indeed. 

CaulfieldAMRAExhibition23-08-14-6_zpsc46

CaulfieldAMRAExhibition23-08-14-7_zpseee

The BRMA stand was adjacent to a British N gauge layout, Hawesdale, which also showed off some very nice modelling.

CaulfieldAMRAExhibition23-08-14-4_zpsec0

CaulfieldAMRAExhibition23-08-14-5_zps832

CaulfieldAMRAExhibition23-08-14-3_zps480

On our other side was the MBAA layout with trams and Faller system road vehicles running around, Occasionally, a radio-controlled truck or bus could make an appearance too.

If you attended, then please feel free to post your photos here too, as mine are a very incomplete record of the event.

Very nice and good to see a selection of British layouts. Up here in Sydney only Peter Betts's Bridport South Western is a regular on the exhibition circuit, although there is at least one new layout (0 gauge no less) under construction. Hope to catch up with the VIC regulars in Adelaide.

Hi Jeff, nice to see the BRMA stand in action.  Sorry I didn't get a chance to talk for long but spent most of the time at the Orient Express stand talking to Fred about German signalling in era 2. By the time I'd finished up there it was time to head as Sarah had to get to work. Learnt a lot but missed out on seeing the layouts.  Looked like a good show. Missed Doug entirely but it looks like he was having a good time.

Nice to see a couple of new UK layouts there too.  It had got to the point where there was only one or two UK layouts in recent years.  Good to see that's changed.

Cheers

Neil

Archived