Sign in to follow this  
sb67

Mangapps Farm 2014

Had a good afternoon at the Mangapps 2014 gala day yesterday.

post-24-0-55306200-1408946326.jpg

post-24-0-24961800-1408946347.jpg

post-24-0-59547900-1408946354.jpg

post-24-0-11211600-1408946365.jpg

post-24-0-34429700-1408946377.jpg

post-24-0-20597100-1408946384.jpg

post-24-0-55968300-1408946393.jpg

post-24-0-34097300-1408946400.jpg

There's a good selection of locos and if you like class 03/04s It's well worth a visit as there's quite a few there! Looking forward to seing the class 31 'Sister Dora' restored as well.

• Like 6

And lo & behold a yellow miniature semaphore arm - must be one of the last in existence and in preservation terms far more important than some of the locos they've got!

And lo & behold a yellow miniature semaphore arm - must be one of the last in existence and in preservation terms far more important than some of the locos they've got!

Hi Mike

If you can get along to Mangapps, John Jolly has possibly the largest private collection of signalling equipment. I am sure you would enjoy it.

Is this part of the old Southminster to Maldon line  or is it disconnected?

Boatman

Is this part of the old Southminster to Maldon line  or is it disconnected?

Boatman

Just in the same area.

Not part of any former real railway.

He also has a great collection of railway signs.

Bernard

If you ever get a chance to go, do so. It really is a rather bizarre magical place. As stated, not part of any former real railway, I believe it did indeed begin as a private collection. An eclectic one at that...

That's a new one on me!

What was its purpose please Mike?

Phil

If you ever get a chance to go, do so. It really is a rather bizarre magical place. As stated, not part of any former real railway, I believe it did indeed begin as a private collection. An eclectic one at that...

John Jolly started collecting over 30 years ago. I lived in Burnham-on-Crouch at the time and remember being held up a couple of times when stock was being delivered, down some quite narrow country roads with plenty of twists and turns. 

• Like 2

We went on the Sunday, it was only 15 miles as the Crow flies from where we were staying in Clacton, but a 100 mile round trip by road.

When we were about to leave, I was surprised to see the 03 coupled onto the Caboose and the air brakes pressurised, as in the OP's first photo. The driver told us it'd be making a run once the line was clear and a guard was available, so we clambered aboard. After a brief wait, I had my first ever Caboose ride, and quite a tour of Mangapps- along the driver experience line, then to the end of the running line, and back to the platform.

post-6819-0-11280000-1409583600_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-35859100-1409583656_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-65193200-1409583880_thumb.jpg

Edited by 298
  • Like 2

I had a ride on it at the start of the day, sitting in the top bit was quite an experience. Bet it would be good look out over a long freight train going through the canadian mountains!!

Thanks for the info.  I also used to live in Burnham-on-Crouch...on a boat, of course!

Then I left and then came Mangapps.  Sod's law!

Boatman