trw1089

Just stumbled on this thread it really captures Wakefield.

Cant believe you managed this from Oz 

I live close to Pontefract monkhill station on the Wakefield to Goole line. Coincidentally John fairline wrote a couple of books with Peter Cookson who taught me maths back in the lste 80s early 90s

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Simon

Yes, John and Peter’s book is a bit of a bible for me and John continues to be very helpful with my research and planning.

cheers

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As a bit of a break between buildings I’ve been installing two semaphore signals.  These are LMS Dapol jobbies that have had their internal boards replaced with MERG kits to allow them to be used for on/off operation through switches on the Modratec lever frame.  I did have a GNR tubular post MSE signal here but it failed as the etchings are too weak for sustained operation.  I’ve since learned how to strengthen them but the Dapol LMS pegs are very similar to the GNR ones and once I modify these ones with different platforms and ladder arrangements, they will be close enough for me.  The will also get some weathering so the don’t stand out as much.  I realize these aren’t the same as building your own, but I’m aiming for operation as well as looks and I wanted a reliable lit signal that would respond to the lever frame properly.  

1FA081D3-7EAD-4D96-ACA5-2C893FCF44A1.jpeg

• Like 16

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Building progress has been continuing of late with this representation of Milne House as per the B&W pics.  This was directly across Westgate from the station so have been adding details to make it a bit of a “hero” building that helps to match up to the detail of the station building.DD2B9511-E4D2-4747-BA1D-FE15E48284B5.jpeg.e5ff964859b49750e6ce0535e22c6d75.jpeg

5813593E-2F01-484B-B49B-0100880F2C87.jpeg

ED44FBD7-CE61-413E-930D-6107668326E1.jpeg

15F1855C-D8AE-4FA6-950E-A13AB8680238.jpeg

AEB337C6-930F-4206-B9B0-141E6AC3E9A3.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Also, a couple of fill in buildings to finish off the built up area.  Hopefully these are the last of the kitbashes for now, as I’m itching to get back to railway stuff.

74DABCCF-92A2-4176-9C8A-1E7585B33D63.jpeg

1E137A4B-D131-4BBD-AD36-108C51CA9A93.jpeg

E29E5D04-8575-4344-AE40-A72DFD8334A8.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Thats a stunning model Tony.....very impressive.

Milne House...equally impressive name.......what purpose did it serve back in the day?

Best wishes

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John

Im not exactly sure what it was, I think offices but haven’t been able to find out.  I have sort of assumed that it might have been linked to the building behind it and may have also had some sort of manufacturing but more research is needed.

Until a few weeks ago I had no photos to speak of to work from, but some gold dust popped up on a Wakefield historical group on Facebook and I snared these two B&W pics.

Cheers

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 1

Love the photo's of Westgate on the bottom pic the stone building near the vanishing point of the road isthe old Yorkshire Bank i started work there in 1998 after leaving uni

All its missing are the drinks on the Westgate run

Edited by simontaylor484

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Simon

I’m glad that you can recognise the building in the pic, as it means that it is at least recognisable as Westgate.  I need to tidy up the image more in Photoshop and backdate it now to get rid of the modern buildings and widen Westgate itself, otherwise I’m really happy with how it looks, not precise, but able to indicate that it is Wakefield.

Meanwhile, I have been working to create the famous viaduct coming into Westgate.  Not all 99 arches though, but as a nod to Dave Shakespeare, just 3.  When he asked me once via PM if I was going to recreate the 99 arches, I said I could only fit 3 or 4 arches, he replied:

Only four arches! Hell mate you live in Australia, I visited Peaks Crossing out near Ipswich so I know you can travel for a week and still be in the same scenery so you've got plenty of space to model the whole viaduct. But take heart, I've got an article somewhere that counts the arches and over bridges and I think there are actually only about 95 or so.

Get building you ######!

Regards

Whinging Pom.

So here’s a few arches for you Dave!

6B258305-6FAA-4BE2-BFEF-D92C5AC85C04.jpeg

• Like 11

I have never set out to count the arches but it certainly is an impressive structure. At least you are looking at the city side of the viaduct the other side you would get a lovely view of the prison. 

Edited by simontaylor484
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

I have never set out to count the arches but it certainly is an impressive structure. At least you are looking at the city side of the viaduct the other side you would get a lovely view of the prison. 

From what I understand it is either 95 or 114 arches depending on whether you count the ones that go under the station.  It certainly is better looking towards the city, but it would’ve been nice to have a view of the cooling towers in the background somehow.

cheers

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ianathompson said:

Back in the day I played rugby league for the University on a pitch near that viaduct.

Its wall to wall urban badlands nowadays.

Ian T

Against Wakefield Trinity?  Someone I work with has a partner who used to play there, but I think this prose by a young Wakefield lad says it all

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

From what I understand it is either 95 or 114 arches depending on whether you count the ones that go under the station.  It certainly is better looking towards the city, but it would’ve been nice to have a view of the cooling towers in the background somehow.

cheers

Tony

The cooling towers were very close to Belle Vue loco depot, which in my time was Wakefield Wagon Shops. Sadly, we had to close it in the late 1980s as part of an overall rationalisation of wagon repair facilities.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It certainly wasn't such an esteemed side as Trinity!

I think it was Wakefield College or some such.

As I said the recreation pitch was built over long ago and it was on the other side of the viaduct from Belle Vue.

Back in the day, when I lived in the area, we used to go under it quite a lot to get to  various cricket grounds as I remember.

Been down Belle Vue plenty of times though: usually to see Batley get a towelling!

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
typo
  • Like 2

For our Australian bretheren there isnow a road over the old power station site that runs round the edge of the city and joins Aberford Road near the rebuilt Pinderfields Hospital at Bar Lane. Its called Neil Fox Way my wife asked what the guy who used to do the charts on the radio has to do with Wakefield 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony

Super  arches........but I particularly liked the tip of the hat to Dave Shakespeare and that quote.......

Best wishes

John

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

A reet flat capper theere 

Coming from a Featherstone Rovers fan

Good to hear that the dialect and traditional pronunciations are still in use.

Adrian

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Lovely modelling Tony.........well done!

I really admire the way all the individual models (each excellent in their own right) come together seamlessly without looking in the least contrived. Back Garden Lane *  looks as though it has evolved slowly and naturally, year by year.........perfect........you must be very pleased with the result

* Back Garden Lane.......Yorkshire Place names are so imaginative and romantic!

Cheers

John

• Agree 2