trw1089

• RMweb Gold

After those diversions around Leeds courtesy of pubs or the local chippy, could I ask for some additional directions please?

i would like to purchase or somehow construct a signal as shown in the image below (J. Farline collection).  I believe it is a 3 aspect home signal with some sort of position indicator above it, but there also looks to be another shunt signal below it too.  This controlled the south entry into Westgate coming off the 99 arches, and was only for a straight through or platform road.  Anyone who is familiar with colour lights of the early 50s BR NE region have some suggestions?

55B337E0-150F-4A72-BCAE-B8DF01F32EFA.jpeg

• Like 1

From the image the back of the signal reminds me of the similar signal at Grantham for controlling EMR services in and out of platforms 3 and 4, D24 signal.  It is also a 3 aspect colour light with Theatre Box indicator above and a Ground Position light, (with no red aspects), below.  I may have a photo of it somewhere.

Paul

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

From the image the back of the signal reminds me of the similar signal at Grantham for controlling EMR services in and out of platforms 3 and 4, D24 signal.  It is also a 3 aspect colour light with Theatre Box indicator above and a Ground Position light, (with no red aspects), below.  I may have a photo of it somewhere.

Paul

Thanks Paul

I suspected it might be a theatre box above.  If you have any pics, that would be great!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

8C846363-A072-4C73-A7F2-5F9C5B87EDA1.jpeg.a5226422e54223222e7b5638e9e1670c.jpegTony,

Here is a photo of D24 signal at Grantham.  This is its current condition with Tri-colour LED head with Ground Position light, (with no red aspect), underneath.  I tried to locate an image in my files of the signal with its original three aspect head, but no joy.  However, as you can see the Theatre indicator sits atop of the post with the signal heads on separate brackets.  The signal post dates back to the mid 60’s when the station was rationalised.

Finally, I cannot find a function to orientate the picture correctly, which frustrates.

Hopefully, this help you out with Wakefield 

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

As some might have seen on Facebook groups I post to, one of the things I enjoy about my layout is that occasionally I can just pour myself a pleasant beverage and watch the trains.  With the newly finished area at the south of the station I have been also experimenting with viewing angles to see how they look in replicating the many pics of the area I’ve amassed over the years.  This one I was quite happy with and shows Bradford Hammerton St allocated B1 61031 Reedbuck on a Donny stopper, ready for the off at Wakefield Westgate.  Just taken with my phone so not perfect, but showing some potential of the south end.

FEA80D41-6D74-4D9A-A488-10B5EE1EC60D.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Another job I’ve been plodding along with is this Diagram 310 Milk Brake from Isinglass Models.  This is my first ever coach (well NPCCS) kit and while it is relatively straightforward, I’ve been enjoying the build.  Thanks also to Jonathan Weallans @jwealleans of this parish for his advice re ventilators and just for his ongoing inspiring modelling that made me want head down this path.

7EC854F3-84DB-48E6-B4F3-8CDA05A7D556.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Isinglass GNR dia. 310 Milk Brake finally went through the paint shop today then finished off the lettering and glazing before it went into revenue service.  It will need some weathering to blend the Humbrol Crimson into the othe Crimson vehicles on the layout, but really happy with how it turned out.

DC439315-31CB-4DA3-8AB5-00551510967D.jpeg

A520F827-945D-4FB7-A868-156BBC6D4686.jpeg

542F66F0-C4F1-43EE-9851-E407EDF49641.jpeg

9C308C89-06E8-472C-80EF-B85AF9CC0560.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Eric

It got a bit of weathering today, but as always, a couple of unwanted marks appeared on the roof, so just a tiny fettle and it will be all good.

BE33E241-1F34-4A87-8A0E-74AF78653454.jpeg

E35A66CF-B0DA-4999-8295-263296D5205A.jpeg

• Like 12

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, trw1089 said:

It has certainly been awhile since I posted any updates on the layout as many of them were just about locos and rollingstock which were probably getting a bit boring.  That’s not to say there hasn’t been other developments and planning, but as I ended up doing a near 2nd full time job repairing locos for two hobby shops, I wasn’t really getting much time on my own stuff.  I’ve finally managed to devolve myself of one repair job and the other one only has very occasional digital only repairs which I don’t mind helping, so have been getting back into my own work.

Most importantly, after buying a resin 3D printer a couple years ago, and trying to master some CAD software, I stumbled across and taught myself TinkerCAD which has been a much better design space for my approach to things.  That’s also meant I could tackle probably the biggest hurdle I have on my layout, the main clock tower on Westgate station.  This impressive 97 scale feet structure is quite architecturally complex and not all that well captured photographically.  I’ve therefore been fiddling to get things moving in a positive direction.

I’ve managed to get it to this stage now which I think is close, but probably needs a bit more fettling to get right.  I may also reprint the top pagoda thing as it is a tad too delicate, and I know the wrought iron fretwork is not exact as it is the best I could match with some Scale Link etches.  Overall though the proportions look close and it seems to have the right “heft” of the former tower.

IMG_3494.jpeg

IMG_3434.jpeg

IMG_9305.jpeg

IMG_9304.jpeg

IMG_9309.jpeg

IMG_9306.jpeg

You could go the whole hog and design bespoke etchings too! Just sayin'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

You could go the whole hog and design bespoke etchings too! Just sayin'.

Yeah, one day!  I was flat out getting to this stage John!

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, trw1089 said:

It has certainly been awhile since I posted any updates on the layout as many of them were just about locos and rollingstock which were probably getting a bit boring.  That’s not to say there hasn’t been other developments and planning, but as I ended up doing a near 2nd full time job repairing locos for two hobby shops, I wasn’t really getting much time on my own stuff.  I’ve finally managed to devolve myself of one repair job and the other one only has very occasional digital only repairs which I don’t mind helping, so have been getting back into my own work.

Most importantly, after buying a resin 3D printer a couple years ago, and trying to master some CAD software, I stumbled across and taught myself TinkerCAD which has been a much better design space for my approach to things.  That’s also meant I could tackle probably the biggest hurdle I have on my layout, the main clock tower on Westgate station.  This impressive 97 scale feet structure is quite architecturally complex and not all that well captured photographically.  I’ve therefore been fiddling to get things moving in a positive direction.

I’ve managed to get it to this stage now which I think is close, but probably needs a bit more fettling to get right.  I may also reprint the top pagoda thing as it is a tad too delicate, and I know the wrought iron fretwork is not exact as it is the best I could match with some Scale Link etches.  Overall though the proportions look close and it seems to have the right “heft” of the former tower.

IMG_3494.jpeg

IMG_3434.jpeg

IMG_9305.jpeg

IMG_9304.jpeg

IMG_9309.jpeg

IMG_9306.jpeg

Awesome.

• Thanks 1

That is wonderful urban building modelling, you could post it in the ‘Show us your scratchbuilt building’ thread. A very inspiring thread.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/74067-show-us-your-scratchbuilt-building/page/77/

I suspect there may be a few who would like to buy your stonework details, although some would no doubt paint the roses the wrong colour (subjective depending on which side of the Pennines you live).

Jamie

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Jamiel said:

That is wonderful urban building modelling, you could post it in the ‘Show us your scratchbuilt building’ thread. A very inspiring thread.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/74067-show-us-your-scratchbuilt-building/page/77/

I suspect there may be a few who would like to buy your stonework details, although some would no doubt paint the roses the wrong colour (subjective depending on which side of the Pennines you live).

Jamie

Our hall of residence at Leeds University had cast-iron gates with the roses picked out in white. One 1 April, somebody (not I...) painted them all red.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Our hall of residence at Leeds University had cast-iron gates with the roses picked out in white. One 1 April, somebody (not I...) painted them all red.

I hope the culprit was dealt with in a suitable fashion.

Adrian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, figworthy said:

I hope the culprit was dealt with in a suitable fashion.

Adrian

IIRC he was made to restore the original colour and had to provide his own paint.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/02/2024 at 23:21, Jamiel said:

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, will certainly post there though I often feel my work lacks some of the finesse of others.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

My next dilemma to solve was how I would go about reproducing the detailed door on Westgate that used to go into the stairway up to the station.  As far as I have been able to tell, this stairway originally opened onto the station platform, but later another door was either made or opened below the clock tower that then led onto the station forecourt.  It is still there on Westgate I believe, well it was back in 2017 when I last visited the location. 

Certainly has lots of frilly bits and perhaps more complex than TinkerCAD would handle, so a friend of mine created the design from my photos and dimensioned pdf drawings (the measure tool in Adobe Reader is great for this) to create the door below.  I then brought that into TinkerCAD to add the column decorations, Fleur-de-lis and Yorkshire roses above the doors.  Unusually, while the door has a split in the middle which you would think opens inwards, the door knob is on the right hand side.  Not sure of that little mystery.  Probably the last remnant of the Italianate architecture of the original building, as even though Platform 2 does have it's brickwork intact, it is a lot plainer than the main station used to be.

Westgate Door TC.jpg

IMG_0831.JPG

• Like 14