trw1089

• RMweb Gold

Thanks 5050

Yes, John has been very kind to help me with lots of great photos and advice, I am greatly indebted to him.  I really would have liked to have been there for the WMRS exhibition, even just to help out as I know how much effort it takes to run a show.

Thanks for your kind comments on my modelling, I hope that it will eventually do credit to the area and be a good layout to operate.  It does have quite a number of compromises because of the size, but hopefully it will still look good when it is done.

Cheers

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Tony for sharing your layout. I have quickly scanned through the thread, but will take more time over the weekend, after discovering your work in the 'Scratch Buildings Thread'. It looks a lovely layout with some fantastically weathered stock, and obviously some great buildings. Looking forward to following your progress.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well last night was a bit of a sombre but joyous occasion.  While in the UK visiting great northern and his wonderful Peterborough North layout, I picked up the items I purchased from Dave Shakespeare's Tetleys Mills.  After bringing them home carefully in my cabin baggage, I had to wait once I got home for two reasons, 1. my wife's 50th birthday party took precedence and 2. I had to order decoders to convert the locos to DCC.  Last night I managed to complete the conversion to DCC, though prior to that I did some work on the J50 to repair some damaged steps and a couple of other little bits, plus give all the locos a service ready for work.

The staff at Arnthorpe yard knew something was up when a couple of busloads of spotters turned up:

post-12062-0-84176900-1417607241_thumb.jpg

At first they thought that it was because there was supposed to be a rather rundown WD on shed, and sure enough:

post-12062-0-01417800-1417607236_thumb.jpg

But no, the spotters were hanging around the shunt loco for some reason:

post-12062-0-81847600-1417607248_thumb.jpg

The reason for all the excitement soon became apparent, with Ardsley Tank - J50 68934 turning up to replace the LMS ring-in.  The Ardsley Tank is now well and truly at home, being at the yard that partially gave it's nickname (Arnthorpe is a contraction of Ardsley plus Wrenthorpe, two major yards near Westgate).

post-12062-0-87927600-1417607253_thumb.jpg

For some reason though, the shed staff's wonderment at the new tank was soon replaced by another newcomer, one of those new fangled stink boxes, on the head of the Doncaster to Leeds stopper, must be running in they reckoned.  

post-12062-0-92648500-1417607260_thumb.jpg

It did look rather good though.

post-12062-0-41547200-1417607265_thumb.jpg

After a lot of the excitement wore down, the Dub D worked the next coal trip past the yard later in the day.

post-12062-0-67079900-1417607270_thumb.jpg

Storming up past the Arnthorpe Box, the WWII relic clanked and wheezed on it's merry way, easily lifting the 20 loaded minerals up the 1:80 past the yard.

post-12062-0-37592100-1417607277_thumb.jpg

I have to sincerely thank Gilbert for all that he did in sorting out Dave's rollingstock and considering my offer, even though I live so far across the pond.  I have done the DCC and Kadee conversions of Dave's rollingstock as sensitively as I could so as to preserve the locos as they were on Tetleys Mills.  I feel truly privileged to have been able to have such examples of Dave's work running on a layout that he gave me encouragement to get into and I hope that my work will do justice to his rollingstock and that his work will one day roll through Wakefield Westgate station itself (in OO scale), to honour the memory of a (once) Wakefield local.

Here's to Dave and Tetleys Mills, long may they live on.

Tony

• Like 18

Absolutely love your layout, Tony.  Every scene is a gem... EVERYTHING in each of them 'fits' so well. Congratulations!!!

One little scene particularly interests me as I'm about to create a coal yard, and I'd love to know where you got/how you made those full coal bags?

It might well be our old and now sadly departed club member Ted driving that WD.

Lovely images - but were ARE the spotters?  Hiding in the shed, ABC's at the ready?  Gaberdine macs and school caps akimbo?

• Like 3

Hi Tony, only just found your layout thread and I have to say you really have created something very impressive indeed.  I love the way you have filled in the tracks in the coal yard and have noted that technique for future use.

Having visited Dave's place and seen Tetleys Mills for myself, it's wonderful to see his locos appearing on a new layout and looking very much at home.  Yet another BR (E) layout to follow.

Some cracking information and terrific pics.  Your modelling is really outstanding...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They look completely at home Tony, and Dave would be so thrilled to see them running through Westgate. My great hope was that his things would go to places where they would be used and cherished, and that has certainly happened to the WD, J50, those buses, and the first sign of modernisation. I'm delighted too that more people are discovering your layout, and that it is getting the plaudits it deserves. Now all it needs is a few cassettes....... I'm sure that if you follow that link on my thread to the Yahoo coaching group, you can get hold of a suitable Carriage workings book, and then if you like we can work out some trains to go  in them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gilbert and everyone

Thanks very much for the comments, I really appreciate them as this layout is something that I am working hard to "get right" in terms of look and feel.  

Alan (BRealistic), the coal sacks are from Model Scene which I added some real coal to the top of.  The sacks themselves were then dry brushed with some burnt umber and black roughly mixed to give a little variety.

5050, Ted did say on the way through that he thought the spotters would have been more adventurous but apparently it was warmer in the buses (they ducked down behind the windows when photos were being taken lest they be recognised as residents of this here esteemed group)

New Haven Neil - sorry about the J50, I made an initial offer which then went up considerably.  After thinking about the providence of the kit and the modeller who built it, plus where the money was going to, I agreed to the price that had been put forward.  It is a nice loco and weighs a ton!

Gilbert, I've been a member of that group for a while now and have downloaded all the workings that Robert has put up, it is a good group with a wealth of info so thanks for the reminder to go and do some researching.  Now where is that MDF to start making some cassettes!

Cheers

Tony

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi David

Thanks for the comments. The maximum grade is around 1:80, though mostly it is closer to 1:100. Even so, that taxes most of my bigger steam power unrealistically, so have resorted to using "Bullfrog Snot" on the pacifics. They can now lift 10-11 bogies now quite comfortably, rather than 5 or 6 unmodified.

Cheers

Tony

Hi David

Thanks for the comments. The maximum grade is around 1:80, though mostly it is closer to 1:100. Even so, that taxes most of my bigger steam power unrealistically, so have resorted to using "Bullfrog Snot" on the pacifics. They can now lift 10-11 bogies now quite comfortably, rather than 5 or 6 unmodified.

Cheers

Tony

That's interesting I'd heard of bullfrog snot, but not heard of anyone actively using it. 

• RMweb Gold

Over the last couple of days I have been pottering around with some weathering, not putting it on, but taking it off.  I have two BR Blue A4s, 60012 Commonwealth of Australia, and 60024 Kingfisher, both actually not right for the location, but the latter one may become 60025 Falcon so it can be one of the locos for a Kings Cross express working in the future.  Still, 60024 was weathered some time back to represent a grotty BR Blue example typical of Gateshead and looked like this:

img1172800.jpg

Perhaps this was OK and it was based on a photo I had, so was reasonable, but it just made me a bit cross, as in my world, the creme de la creme of passenger power should not be allowed to get this filthy.  

I therefore resorted to getting out the Microsol to give it a clean down, representing at least an attempt at giving the loco a good wipe over and this is the result:

Qospha.jpg

It is also sporting a couple of cut down Bachmann lamps, with new wire handles.  Do they still look like milk churns do you think?

I also received a very nice Christmas card from John Farline of the Wakefield RMS and on it was Mallard in BR Blue passing Retford with a Gresley teak and some crimson and cream Gresleys behind, a beautiful painting by David Charlesworth.  I decided, based on my recent research, that I could replicate something like this of teak BCK up the front, followed by some Crimson and Cream Gresleys behind, as you can see below:

dPsNXI.jpg

and thus

vSbLWx.jpg

So the question is, does a half cleaned A4 still look the part?  It might get a coat of Klear to bring a bit of gloss back, then a few powders to flatten it out here and there, but I will wait until I rename it I think.

Still, all this hullabaloo about fancy streamlined power is a bit unwarranted, especially when I still think this one below, simmering on shed waiting to take a return working back south, is nicer:

EPhr7K.jpg

Finally, thanks to all who have commented, liked and looked at my layout thread, I appreciate all of them and hope you all have a great Christmas and your New Year is filled with modelling fun!

Cheers
Tony

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

The A4 looks good to me Tony - just like a loco that has received a going over by the cleaners. The lamps just need a bit of weathering I reckon, like I keep meaning to do with mine. And you are a gentleman of taste and discernment sir. A4's are lovely, but you can't beat a B17.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks Gilbert

I haven't been on this forum much over the Christmas break as I have been concentrating on getting the platforms done for Wakefield Westgate (well my interpretation of the station!).  I've gone down the Scalescenes path as the profile is very close to Westgate and the brickwork is the right type and colour for the platform faces.

Here they are all done:

8906lQ.jpg

and from the other end with a customary B1 in the docks waiting to take a Bradford portion on its way.

jEGOt1.jpg

Now that these are in I can start on the main station building, but this will be a longer term project.  In the meantime, here is the sequence of a typical Leeds - London train with a connecting Bradford portion.

The main train and the portion are both stored in the lower staging, and the locos are identified using handy whiteboard stickers that I found at the local office supplies, with the LEDs indicating that the sidings are occupied.  A1 60131 is on the main train from Leeds (second from the bottom, 131 is the DCC address), with J39 64839 on the Bradford portion (second road from top)

eQJD2V.jpg

In the meantime, the station pilot's crew are just finishing off their brew ready to get to work on arrival of the Bradford portion,

444cO6.jpg

which duly arrives behind the Ardsley J39.

n3TllH.jpg

It is a rather clean J39, this is because it has just been renumbered and hasn't yet been weathered, this sequence being the first time I have been able to run a reasonable representation of loco and coach workings of the 1951-53 period which I am hoping to model, but please don't look too closely as there are still a few things not quite right (and I'm not about to change the BR emblem on Dave's J50!)

Speaking of which, here is the Bradford Hammerton St shed's J50 coupling up to the portion and taking them off to the carriage sidings (with the imaginary passengers still inside) ready for the train from Leeds:

YbUB07.jpg

and

Xq5xOu.jpg

Not long after, Copley Hill's regular performer, A1 60131, yet to be named (not because of the time period, but simply because the Fox Transfers plates are yet to arrive after being ordered over the Christmas break), arrives with the Kings Cross bound train from Leeds

yvdc7i.jpg

The J50 then propels the Bradford portion out of the carriage sidings and after removing the coach end barriers from the London train, it is coupled to the rear of the express.

19wheK.jpg

in the meantime, the J39 has travelled up to Arnthorpe for turning and servicing:

luX6cg.jpg

4RdTZx.jpg

The A1 soon leaves Westgate and heads up hill past Arnthorpe and on its way south

HC0872.jpg

Crossing a Leeds bound express shortly after

KKU2sU.jpg

Hopefully this shows the potential of the station area and what my intention of modelling it was all about, the shunting and workings of Wakefield Westgate.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 14

Hi Tony,

I'm someone else new to your thread, and like the others I'm thoroughly impressed. And it's lovely to see Dave's locos employed on your layout. There's no fear of Tetley Mills disappearing from people's' memories - it was unique - but sources such as yours help even further.

I enjoy all your modelling and am particularly pleased that you are a Scalescenes fan as I am. The various brick and texture papers are excellent.

Happy to be a follower and looking forward to future developments,

Hal

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Hal

I recently checked out your layout too and was very impressed with the amount of work you had put in. Look forward to continuing to see progress on yours as well.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Hal

I recently checked out your layout too and was very impressed with the amount of work you had put in. Look forward to continuing to see progress on yours as well.

Cheers

Tony

Thank you, Tony,

It'll be slow I'm afraid. Anyone who leaves "the layout of a lifetime" for his/her retirement years is very foolish. We tend to forget that ill-health commonly coincides with old age. Dumb!  I urge anyone who thinking along these lines(!) to start at once, while they have the health and stamina. I've been trying to draw a track-plan for the past few days, but arthritically dodgy digits are spoiling my efforts. And don't say to use a computerised drawing-tool - I'm barely PC savvy and loath the things, although I do agree they are the most efficient means for those who can use them.

One of the main reasons for starting my thread was to discipline my efforts, and that is working insofar as I'm sticking to a list rather than mucking about here and there as I was doing. But frustratingly slow, such is life. ;)

Hal

Your superb layout has brought back memories of visits to Wakefield shed and Westgate station in the mid 1960s. I particularly remember double headed WD 2-8-0s clanking through the station with long coal trains.

I've found this pic, an unusually clean 92006 pauses at Westgate with a freight.

post-7898-0-41303900-1420746599_thumb.jpg

Mal

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mal

Double-headed Dub D's would certainly be a sight to behold and I do have a fondness for coal trains. Thanks also for the pic of the 9F, though I think it might actually be at Kirkgate looking at the building next to the platform and the overall roof at the station in the back of the shot. I would love to find a shot of a 9F running through Westgate as they were very common on the L&Y through Kirkgate on their way to and from Healey Mills, but I have yet to see any pics of them on the GNR/GC metals through the district. You would think that they might have, especially in the later years, and too late for my period, but I do like a 9F on a long coal train!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1