Heljan class 47's

Summer_Saturday

Whatever happened to all of the new class 47's that we were meant to be seeing in september? Its all gone quiet again. Does anyone know if Heljan have scrapped the idea?

Not sure myself but the best people to contact are Howes of Oxford; they are the UK agent for Heljan. Their contact details can be found here: http://www.howesmodels.co.uk/Railways/contact.php

I was chatting to Howes yesterday afternoon over a related matter (missing buffers for my 47 which are shown as 'out of stock on the Howes website - as are most 47 spares incidentally) and was told that Heljan aren't planning a batch of 47s at the moment.

It seems that we only get spares when a new 47 is released.

BTW, can anyone help me out - I've got 4 spare buffer beams (with cowls) but no buffers?

I was chatting to Howes yesterday afternoon over a related matter (missing buffers for my 47 which are shown as 'out of stock on the Howes website - as are most 47 spares incidentally) and was told that Heljan aren't planning a batch of 47s at the moment.

It seems that we only get spares when a new 47 is released.

BTW, can anyone help me out - I've got 4 spare buffer beams (with cowls) but no buffers?

I have a fair few Heljan spares, including Buffers, are you after ovals or round ones as have limited stock?

Ive contacted Heljan this week about a ltd edition Heljan 47 purchase that was due in august, there reply was - it will be due in a few weeks time, im in no rush for it as im trying to put money together for warley but i dont think anyone has an idea when its coming

They were placed in the cabinet whilst I was in store this morning.

I have to say I much prefer the Vi Trains offering which arrived earlier this week. As you can see on the photo's on the Rails website, Heljan haven't even used the correct bodyshell for the prototype - on either loco. I also noted theat the bufferbeam on the model is the wrong type and to my eyes the COLAS lettering on the bodyside is not the right shape.

Still, nice to have Heljan 47s back on the shelves though. Might be able to source some replacements for the warped chassis now.

• 3 months later...

Hi

I keep reading about Heljan 47's and new Liveries, Have I missed something or have they re-tooled and re-sized there class 47's.

If they havn't then they will surely be thinking Bachmann & Vitrains 47's are better models.

The biggest mystery of all is how they carry on selling something that is so far out of scale, and an even bigger mystery is why people keep on buying them.

Bob

The biggest mystery of all is how they carry on selling something that is so far out of scale, and an even bigger mystery is why people keep on buying them.

Bob

Because I can ignore the width issue and the lack of separate fans and appreciate the rest of the model as being more representative of a Class 47 than either the Bachmann or ViTrains offerings in my opinion. I am, however, modelling the late '80s which I feel the Heljan model is far more suited towards.

Because I can ignore the width issue and the lack of separate fans and appreciate the rest of the model as being more representative of a Class 47 than either the Bachmann or ViTrains offerings in my opinion. I am, however, modelling the late '80s which I feel the Heljan model is far more suited towards.

I agree, I have no problem with the Heljan 47 (or the Bachy 47 either) ... decide for yourself... real and Heljan:

post-6913-126732703198_thumb.jpg

post-6913-126732704745_thumb.jpg

The width issue is worse on some Heljan 47s because of flashing on the metal chassis sides. Rubbing this down stops the bodysides from bowing outwards. Having done that I then noticed a dumbell shape in the body which was widest to the rear of the cab doors. Removing the cab inserts stopped this so I trimmed them down in width to suit.

Hi

I keep reading about Heljan 47's and new Liveries, Have I missed something or have they re-tooled and re-sized there class 47's.

If they havn't then they will surely be thinking Bachmann & Vitrains 47's are better models.

Bob

Because it's a Class 47 (which alot of people need at least one on a layout, such is the lifespan and large number built of the prototype) with a quality mechanism that offers good value for money. The run of unnumbered green and blue ones was also a stroke of genius. The fact they keep selling leads me to believe the extra girth isn't an issue to as many people as the modelling press would have you believe. Bachmann's attmept is ok but I don't like the AWD chassis and It's not as easy to customise as Heljan's effort.

• RMweb Premium

Because it's a Class 47 (which alot of people need at least one on a layout, such is the lifespan and large number built of the prototype) with a quality mechanism that offers good value for money. The run of unnumbered green and blue ones was also a stroke of genius. The fact they keep selling leads me to believe the extra girth isn't an issue to as many people as the modelling press would have you believe. Bachmann's attmept is ok but I don't like the AWD chassis and It's not as easy to customise as Heljan's effort.

On the other hand I find the Bachmann ones don't require as much wheel cleaning as Heljan and tend to rail up a little more easily at the start of a session. Added to which the couplers don't droop. The comment about the tubby duffs is near the mark - I would rather run something reliable and gutsy even if it doesn't look spot on. They're still much better than I could do myself!

The comment about the tubby duffs is near the mark

I like that name Tubby Duffs.

The main problem with them that I have is that my layout is 00 which we all know is too narrow, so a tubby loco on a skinny track sticks out like a sore thumb, although I have seen one at an exhibition converted to P4 or posibly EM and it doesn't stand out so much.

I have a couple of Vitrains and a Bachmann and although there are small niggles, I think that Bachmann especially may make alterations to future releases where as Heljan have had years to re-tool and havn't bothered which I find surprising, as has been mentioned it is a good looking model (apart from its tubbiness).

Cheers

Bob

Whatever happened to all of the new class 47's that we were meant to be seeing in september? Its all gone quiet again. Does anyone know if Heljan have scrapped the idea?

This has just been posted on RMWeb and indicates some new unnumbered Class 47s to be released in Heljan's 2010/2011 programme: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/10622-Heljan-plans-201011/

• 1 month later...

Archived