Hornby Somerset and Dorset Coaching Set

A new release of the three set, 399, has been announced by Hornby for 2018.

When I looked through the announcement yesterday, I did not look at the set numbers, just saw that the pictures showed high top windows, and thought 'move on' . Glad you have pointed that out!

Neil

PS. Just noticed that according to Hornby they operated in the south east, not the south west!

Edited by neilkirby

• RMweb Gold

When I looked through the announcement yesterday, I did not look at the set numbers, just saw that the pictures showed high top windows, and thought 'move on' . Glad you have pointed that out!

Neil

PS. Just noticed that according to Hornby they operated in the south east, not the south west!

Surprising, given that almost everwhere is west of Sandwich!

• RMweb Gold

Neil

The sets were initially built in 1926 for the Waterloo - West of England services, where it was assumed passengers had a lot of luggage. So in that respect at least their duties started in the SE. It was only in BR days that some of them ended up on the S&D where, due to declining passenger numbers, a 3-coach train with only 24 first and 88 third seats was deemed sufficient. It was also in their latter days that they were most photographed, most notably by Ivo Peters, and hence are remembered as S&D coaching stock. 

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The sets were initially built in 1926 for the Waterloo - West of England services, where it was assumed passengers had a lot of luggage. So in that respect at least their duties started in the SE. It was only in BR days that some of them ended up on the S&D where, due to declining passenger numbers, a 3-coach train with only 24 first and 88 third seats was deemed sufficient. It was also in their latter days that they were most photographed, most notably by Ivo Peters, and hence are remembered as S&D coaching stock. 

IIRC, when first introduced the "long van" 3-sets were referred to as "Torrington Sets", indicating their intended use as through portions of expresses serving the farther extremities of the system.

Their subsequent allocation to the S&D was, at least in part, to ensure they were not inadvertently rostered to commuter services, where the seating capacity would have been inadequate and the van portions unnecessary.

The large vans also avoided any requirement to add a PMV etc. to S&D "stoppers" for the carriage of parcels, perambulators etc.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

What product codes make up the set of 3?

If done the same way as previously, it will be released as a coach pack without individual catalogue numbers.

EDIT: Just spotted they are evidently not being sold together this time: Catalogue numbers are R.4840/1 for the brakes and R.4842 for the composite.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

What product codes make up the set of 3?

From my blog at https://grahammuz.com/2018/01/08/Hornby-announce-2018-range-includes-brand-new-lord-nelson-class-and-maunsell-kitchen-dining-first-catering-coaches/

I can advise as follows:

R4840 – BR Maunsell 4 Compartment Third Class Brake Coach – BR(s)Green – Low window style to diagram 2101, Number S3232S, branded as set 399. [Q4]

R4841 – BR Maunsell 4 Compartment Third Class Brake Coach – BR(s)Green – Low window style to diagram 2101, Number S3233S, branded as set 399. [Q4]

R4842 – BR Maunsell Corridor 7 Compartment composite Coach – BR(s)Green – Low window style to diagram 2301, Number S5145S, part of 3 coach set 399. [Q4]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 28/04/2015 at 15:38, Combe Martin said:

Further to my post no 13 just above, I've looked at the quoted website, and yes it infers set 390 was Blood & Custard into 1961 which is wrong, though it does query this with a question mark.   I've also checked my own S&D coach set pictures analysis, and from sets 390-399, only 392 and 393 don't appear in green at all.  The rest (apart from 391, see below) all appear in green in the late '50s early '60s period. 

I can find no picture at all of 392, and 393 was still Blood & Custard in May 1957, but was withdrawn around July 1958 so this one may have stayed that way. 

The latest picture of set 391 I can find is April 1955 and it's green, but this must have been Southern Railway green as BR Southern Region didn't start using their green till July 1956, it was also green in June 1952.   Given that set 391 was withdrawn around April 1958, would it have been repainted into B&C ?

There is also another error in this same section of the Blood & Custard website, it states that the Southern's set numbers were in 6 inch numerals, that's only 2mm in OO gauge.  They weren't, they were 8 or 9 inch numbers.

I have put Set numbers on many BR(SR) coaches (Maunsells, Bulleids, Mk1s) and for the BR style I find Fox 8" numerals look about the correct size, 6" appears way too small.

Glenn

• Agree 1