Bachmann's BR Suburban stock used on these lines

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if this is the right forum but can't find an alternative.  I have recently bought several of Bachmann's BR Suburban stock in maroon and I was wondering what the train formation would have been.  I know that they were used on Broad Street services in the late 50's and 60's, so they would have used the North London DC lines for part of their journey.

So far I have a Brake Second, Composite and Second Open.  I assume I would need a few more Seconds and maybe another Composite?

Any help would be great.

Julian Sprott

I think you will find that the open seconds on the LM were confined to the Moorgate to St Albans commuter services.  Their roof vents were spread more widely to give clearance in what is now the Thameslink tunnel.  The way round this is to give yours a new interior and a more appropriate number.

As for the Broad Street - Tring services, if the other sets grouped as "Euston - Watford" are any guide I do not think there were any that were entirely formed of BR suburbans, which tended to be sprinkled in among older stock.  Someone must have photographed them!

Chris 

• RMweb Gold

All of mine are Eastern Region based so I assume they would be used on the Moorgate - KX - Suburban services, using the City Widened Lines, not on the NLL.

Still like to know the train formations.

Julian Sprott

All of mine are Eastern Region based so I assume they would be used on the Moorgate - KX - Suburban services, using the City Widened Lines, not on the NLL.

Still like to know the train formations.

Julian Sprott

Some GN suburban services ran to Broad Street in the peaks and these included loco-hauled workings until May 1969.  Thereafter it was all DMUs until the workings ceased in November 1976.

Formation depends on the period modelled but the Mark I sets were generally BS, S, S, S, BS until the mid-1960s when they became S, S, BS, S, S, plus an additional S on the end to make 6-car sets.  Haulage included Baby Deltics (which were officially banned from the Widened Lines to Moorgate) and Brush Type 2s (later 31s) plus occasional 47s and other types.  In the late 1950s what became Classes 21 and 26 might also have appeared at Broad Street.

• RMweb Gold

Was told at my MRC tonight that they usually ran in 6 car formations, so if I ran a rake consisting of a BS, S, S, CL, S and BS using what I've already got; and getting another brake and two seconds, I might not be correct but I won't be far off.

Julian Sprott

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes, any available loco was rostered on ECS empties to and from KX, including Deltics, but I've not worked a 47 and suburbans, and as I said, 47s wouldn't fit down the hole to Moorgate!

• 2 weeks later...

CL carriages wouldn't normally have worked down to Moorgate. Inner suburban services had been third (later second) class only since the early 1940s.

The initial formations were 5 carriages formed BS S S S BS with the brakes outermost. This formation wasn't popular with the punters as it replaced 2 x QuadArt and had far fewer seats, but was the longest that would fit some of the Widened Lines platforms. I think the first attempt to use a six carriage formation had an extra S in the middle and the two brakes were turned so that the guard was still on the platform everywhere. Later, as has been said, one BS was moved to the middle of the train and an S substituted for the other.

Some Widened Lines workings to/from the ER were worked by up to 3 pairs of Craven's dmus declassified - an interesting ride behind the driver's cab.

Unfortunately Bachmann don't do a CL as yet, and I don't think there are any plans to do one in the foreseeable future.

MARC Models do some nice brass coach sides of the CL and SLO to fit on Bachmann donor vehicles. I have recently obtained a small supply to carry out some conversions................when I get time!!

Archived