Heljan planning a 1361 too

Wild Boar Fell

2 hours ago, maico said:

1.2 million views a month but most will be dipping in and out. He will have the watch times on the analytics page.

After the negative Tango review I asked him if Heljan had been in touch and he said no. I can only conclude they are an absolute shower!

Heads in the sand over damaged in the packaging  47xx models too.

2 hours ago, lofty1966 said:

Heads in the sand over damaged in the packaging  47xx models too.

I was in for at least two "night owls" but when I saw the reports from buyers downunder with damaged locomotives, I opted to ignore the locomotives.  They would have been nice but I do not mind buying a discounted non-runner and fixing it but draw the line at an expensive new purchase requiring work..

I should not have seen this thread as I went looking at the 1361 and 1366 classes at Rails and decided that they looked too nice at GBP79.50 each to ignore .  VAT will need to be deducted so price will come down a bit.  Hattons tempted me with their Oxford Rail Radial in Southern wartime black  (GBP58.00 including postage downunder and VAT off).

I had vowed to keep the wallet closed but one needs a little sunshine in their lives occasionally.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 04/03/2020 at 22:38, truffy said:

Yep, the splashers were the problem on the DJM one for me. Unfortunately, Heljan swapped splashergate for smallshirtbuttongate.

I would add that the GWR shirt button emblem on the DJM also doesn’t look particularly well reproduced.

It appears crude and too dominant in too bold a “text”.

https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/article.php/60/1363-1361-class

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/43616/K2203-DJ-Models-0-6-0-1361-Steam-Locomotive-number-1363

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/30249/Heljan-1301-oo-gauge-gwr-1361-class-0-6-0-tank-locomotive-no-1363-in-gwr-green-monogram-insignia

The contemporary criticism of this emblem was that it appeared insignificant on locos of the GWR.

Based on comments about the mechanism and examining the two 1361’s, despite its more generic style I also opted for the Heljan version.

A comparison of the shade of green, coupling rods also swayed my decision.

But each to their own....

Edited by rprodgers
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

The trouble with Sam's Trains reviews is that he usually knows virtually nothing about the actual prototypes of the models he is reviewing. All he does is make initial comments on appearance, and how well it's put together (or not), and then a performance test.

He criticised the fact he couldn't access the motor of the Heljan 1361, but if he's so good at repairs (as has been said), he should have found his way in to access it (easy when you start looking).

He doesn't know what many of the details are (especially on steam engines), so obviously doesn't know if they are correct or in the right place, nor does he compare models with known measurements. In many cases he doesn't even know if the liveries are correct. If he were to review the Kernow 1361, would he comment on the splashers or cab footstep positions? (Yes, Heljan got those bits right, but not all the handrail variations - but he didn't comment on that because he doesn't know). When there are two models of an identical prototype on the market, like the 1361 class, he ought to at least review and compare them at the same time. 

Watching his last review, he was enthusing about picking up loads of identical 1970s-quality Hornby wagons for £4 each! Woopeedoo!

Edited by Coppercap
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Generally valid points, but I don't think he claims to have any particular knowledge either. In fact, there seems to be very few reviewers on YT which have the detailed knowledge to do it 'properly'.

A gaping wide opening for someone on here then? Though I guess it is easier just to criticise.

I have definitely have seen some of his strip down/maintenance videos, but they are generally of older, simpler models. Like many of us I suspect, we are happier dismantling older cheaper models, than brand new ones.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, stovepipe said:

In fact, there seems to be very few reviewers on YT which have the detailed knowledge to do it 'properly'.

A gaping wide opening for someone on here then?

Perhaps it is because those who do know what they are talking about have better things to do?

Let's be honest - the 'reviewers' see it as, at best, an opportunity to see themselves on the internet but, in the case of most of them, to make an indirect income from the gullible.

Best ignored IMHO!

John Isherwood.

• Agree 10

• RMweb Gold

Quite possibly, although perhaps people should try a little harder to ignore such videos...

I think they are fine for a bit of light entertainment, and if they are shot well enough, the close-up views can be useful priopr to a purchase. What I don't like is the channels that have recently started doing embedded paid promotions - it totally undermines any credibility they might have had, and makes the rest of their 'review' redundant.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Let's be honest - the 'reviewers' see it as, at best, an opportunity to see themselves on the internet but, in the case of most of them, to make an indirect income from the gullible.

Rather cynical that - if I was going to make money off Youtube doing it via model reviews would be extremely unwise.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Best ignored IMHO!

John Isherwood.

About time most of them got a proper job. 

Edited by Coppercap
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all, I am trying to find out if the running board/bufferbeam assembly is removable from the Heljan model? I have searched but have not found anyone who has completely disassembled the body, all I have found are pics of the cab and saddle tanks removed. 

If anyone has done and has pics I would appreciate it.

15 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Hmm there must be some way of removing it then and hopefully it's not like the Hornby WDs.

I did think it odd that WoR opted to just mask up the wheels rather than disassemble it in this article of converting it into a Chapman & Furneaux loco...

I don't have this model, but do own two examples of the Heljan O2, and if the construction is anything like similar I can guess why! Both are exemplary runners, had they not been, they would have been returned, immediately. (There are good features: all up weight and the motor and gear ratio ensure smooth delivery of ample traction, the very fine flanges by RTR OO standards are an asset to appearance. But so much else is in the 'handle with care' and 'do not touch' departments, that had there been the whiff of an alternative it would be the preferred purchase.)

This for the simple reason that unfortunately, Heljan's steam loco mechanism construction is outright awkward, and in critical respects too weak to stand the work of disassembly and reassembly. The Hornby WD 0-6-0T construction is a masterpiece of simplicity and robustness beside the O2.  You are a proven handy and adventurous fellow, take a look yourself, I will be interested in your assessment!

When we have shows again, I must go and bend Ben Jones' ear about their steam model construction plan. Surely this well established manufacturer is aware of much better schemes?

My returned 1361 "GWR" is still in limbo.  A complete piece of doggy doo from the moment power was applied I could see it was troublesome.  Surprisingly,  though the 1366 purchased at the same time and same mechanism,  seems perfect.    I looked at getting inside but decided that as it was a basket case it should be returned.  One person has commented that it is possible to disassemble but does not explain how.   The store has acknowledged receipt of the returned loco (took six weeks from  the post office to the store due covid-19 and minimal international cargo facilities),  but since then have not heard cooee from the store as to any action being taken.  This purchase has been a complete disaster and almost three months from the actual purchase date I still do not have a functioning loco.   The little saddle tank is a cute little loco but I will not be purchasing another.

• Informative/Useful 1

When I saw this advertised at £79.50 on the Rails web site like GWR-fan I couldn't resist. I got the shunting bug whilst helping on my local club's layout at the last exhibition held in Sydney before COVID-19 shut everything down and this seemed like the perfect loco for a smallish shunting puzzle type layout (which I have yet to start building of course). I have only had one chance to actually run my 1363, but my intitial impressions are very favourable. It is heavy, so haulage should not be an issue, but then it is likely to be moving no more than a few four or six wheel wagons at any given time. It ran quite smoothly from the start and given a bit more time for running in (I only had time for a few minutes "testing" on a friend's layout) I dare say it will prove to be an excellent runner.

One thing I did notice though is that it featured a lot of pre-fitted detail items (very nice too!) but they actually interfere with the movement of the couplers. I've fitted Kadee 18s to it as I want to be able to shunt hands-free and am considering minor surgery to ensure the couplers have unrestricted movement! Overall though, very happy with my purchase.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2020 at 01:06, Coppercap said:

The trouble with Sam's Trains reviews is that he usually knows virtually nothing about the actual prototypes of the models he is reviewing. All he does is make initial comments on appearance, and how well it's put together (or not), and then a performance test.

He criticised the fact he couldn't access the motor of the Heljan 1361, but if he's so good at repairs (as has been said), he should have found his way in to access it (easy when you start looking).

He doesn't know what many of the details are (especially on steam engines), so obviously doesn't know if they are correct or in the right place, nor does he compare models with known measurements. In many cases he doesn't even know if the liveries are correct...............................................

Exactly how many modellers watch a review of a a model for the history of the prototype or for that matter really care?  If you want the loco prototype history then it is simpler to search Wikipedia or similar.  How many modellers really know or care the actual working apparatus on a steam loco.  Most will purchase a model for its looks, its suitability for their purpose and for many the price.

You state "..... he should have found his way in to access it (easy when you start looking)."  Perhaps you could point out articles where a reviewer has dismantled this model as I like others on this thread have asked to no avail.  If it is easy then it should be just as easy to explain.

Sam is not reviewing the model for the pedantic rivet counter,  his audience is most who like the model but before purchasing wish a simple review to gauge quantify their impending decision to buy.  Most do not see exact scale dimensions as that important,  preferring a loco that runs as intended and explained in simple honest terms.  I do not see Sam as a shill for a retailer or manufacturer,  nor do I see other RM members who imbed paid for promotions in their videos.  Given the filming and editing time taken to present a review, other than the five year olds who try to emulate the likes of "Intercity82" (does he even still post videos anymore),  the financial rewards from monetising their videos is minuscule without millions of views,  so paid promotions compensate them for their time.  Given the small population in the model railway field a highly successful video is unlikely to attract more than a few thousand views.  

Edited by GWR-fan
  • Agree 3

Regarding Sam's trains, I enjoy the channel and many of his videos, however my only issue with his videos is his lack of basic information on the model he's buying. Basic information that takes a few mins to find out. I do find many of his reviews extremely harsh and mainly because he has had no idea what he was buying.

Regarding the 1361, I've had the opportunity to get my hands on both the DJM one and the Heljan one (thanks to a client of ours who had loaned them to us for a while). I'd say Sam was just unlucky, I've found the Heljan one to be far superior in build quality and running capabilities than the DJM one. I also find it really odd that Sam's Trains seems to have some really bad problems with Heljan. Once or twice can be coincidence, but almost every single model from Heljan?

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 11:53, Adam FW said:

the running board is shown separate to the chassis block on the spares diagram on the gaugemaster website but there's no diagram showing how it comes off or what else is attached to it.

Have you looked at the posting by cctransuks    earlier in this thread (October 1, 2017)

Acquired 1363 from Rails and its currently trundling around a test oval with reverse curve in it without problem. One issue that I fortunately spotted was when looking underneath to check the pick ups looked to be correctly aligned I found one of the whistles lodged in the back of a wheel. Safely retrieved and placed in the parts bag for fitting when the cab comes off for the decoder fit. Have to say what a characterful model it is.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I see Rails are still selling 1361s at the discounted price. Looking at their site, it seems one has to set up an account with them. Does anybody know if this is correct, or is there a way of buying as a Guest?

22 hours ago, NCB said:

I see Rails are still selling 1361s at the discounted price. Looking at their site, it seems one has to set up an account with them. Does anybody know if this is correct, or is there a way of buying as a Guest?

You can phone the order through.

• Thanks 1