Ixion Manning Wardle 0-4-0ST

Warspite

Some time ago, I was fortunate to obtain one of the few remaining 7mm scale Ixion Manning Wardles from Chris Basten at Dragon Models.  I have to say from the start that this is a superb model, with wonderful detail which runs beautifully.  Mine was unpainted brass (all the painted ones had long been sold) and I decided to finish it in well-weathered ‘industrial dark grey’.

Although the Manning Wardle is a very small locomotive, I wanted to add DCC sound and it was at this point that I spotted a YT video of Paul Chetter’s sound project for a ‘small industrial 2 cylinder steam locomotive’.  I contacted Paul and he agreed to install a ZIMO MX645 with his sound project in the Manning Wardle.  In a subsequent exchange of emails, Paul offered to convert the lamp on the front to a DCC switchable working lamp and to provide firebox flicker, taking advantage of Ixion’s beautifully engineered opening firebox door!  Now, to really complicate things, the email discussion got onto smoke.  My last smoke fitted loco was a Tri-ang Britannia (with Synchrosmoke) ‘handed down’ from my brother in the mid-1960s, which would steam away quite happily when I remembered to add the smoke fluid from one of those small capsules Tri-ang sold for 1/-.  I know it was a bit of a gimmick 40 odd years ago, but I was interested to see how the concept of smoke simulation had progressed in the intervening years.  So, on the list we now had sound, working lamp, firebox flicker and smoke!

However, before Paul had started the installation, I had obtained one of the (then) new Ixion Fowlers with Paul’s Fowler sound project and the ‘stay alive’ function from Paul Martin at EDM.  Now I have a confession to make.  My track-laying skills, even with standard Peco code 124 bullhead track, are not particularly good and although the little Manning Wardle 0-4-0ST ran very smoothly on my straight, level, clean test track, it had proved to be somewhat jerky on my shunting layout, especially through the Peco points (not Peco’s fault!).  However, the diminutive Fowler, with an equally short 0-4-0 wheelbase, ran without hesitation along all the track and pointwork.  Buoyed with excitement and rather pushing my luck, I asked Paul C whether he could include a stay alive capacitor in the Manning Wardle.  I can only imagine Paul’s exasperation, something like: “Does this guy know how much space there really is in this model?” or words to that effect!  However, all credit to Paul, he said he would give it a go.  A 143,000uF stay alive capacitor was duly added.

The final result is truly amazing.  Superb sound, realistic controllable working lamp, firebox flicker, smoke and a brilliant stay alive capability.  The Manning Wardle will creep over the pointwork at slow walking pace with no hesitation and no interruption of sound.  All this is a model based on an 0-4-0ST prototype, measuring only 20’ 5” (over buffers) in real life and 5⅝” in 7mm scale.  They don’t get much smaller than that!

The sound is very convincing and feels just right for a small industrial steam loco and the sound project has 23 different functions including flange squeal, separate wagon and wagon buffering sounds, and the usual injector, blower, cylinder drain cocks, safety valves and coal shoveling sounds (with the firebox flicker).

Whether you like simulated smoke or not, I think the smoke is a very effective addition.  The sound and motion (chuffs and wheels) are synchronised by use of a reed switch and the switch input on the decoder. This provides a different volume/density depending whether the locomotive is stationary, accelerating, cruising or decelerating.

I forgot to say that Paul asked if I wanted any extra sounds on the sound project utilising the unused function keys.  So I thought, what do I remember when standing near a slow-moving loco?  Well apart from the wheezing and hissing (the loco, not me), I always think of the creaking sleepers as the loco moves slowly about the sidings.  I also asked my wife what sounds she remembers from being trackside and she said “the sound of the birds”.  Typical!  I told Paul this and much to my surprise (and my wife’s delight), he included both sounds on the chip.  Although the birdsong moves with the locomotive (of course), it is very pleasing when the loco is sitting in a siding simmering away.  And, the sleeper creak is extremely effective – you really sense the sleepers creaking in front of you!

I made a couple of videos of the Manning Wardle running on the layout, which Paul has kindly posted on YT:

http://youtu.be/IyLPh1WjHc4

The running is much smoother than appears in the videos.

I hasten to add that the usual disclaimers apply - I'm just a very satisfied customer of both Paul Chetter's work and Ixion.

I’ve uploaded a couple of photos of the Manning Wardle painted and weathered.  Paul painted the cab interior whilst the loco was dismantled.  I gave the exterior a couple of coats of Humbrol acrylic spray primer and then a top coat of Humbrol acrylic spray tank grey.  I weathered it using my usual mix of acrylic paints with weathering powders and Maskol for ‘peeling rust’.  I wanted to represent a rather old, hard-worked engine that hasn't seen the paint shop for some time.  I did originally use the builder’s plates from my Ixion Hudswell Clarke pack but close-up photos gave the game away, so I’ll get some ‘Manning Wardle’ plates sometime soon.  I used nameplates from one of the other Ixion locos – Jemima seems just right for it!

post-1610-0-43494600-1409247197_thumb.jpg

post-1610-0-97797200-1409247217_thumb.jpg

Stephen

Some time ago, I was fortunate to obtain one of the few remaining 7mm scale Ixion Manning Wardles from Chris Basten at Dragon Models.  I have to say from the start that this is a superb model, with wonderful detail which runs beautifully.  Mine was unpainted brass (all the painted ones had long been sold) and I decided to finish it in well-weathered ‘industrial dark grey’.

Although the Manning Wardle is a very small locomotive, I wanted to add DCC sound and it was at this point that I spotted a YT video of Paul Chetter’s sound project for a ‘small industrial 2 cylinder steam locomotive’.  I contacted Paul and he agreed to install a ZIMO MX645 with his sound project in the Manning Wardle.  In a subsequent exchange of emails, Paul offered to convert the lamp on the front to a DCC switchable working lamp and to provide firebox flicker, taking advantage of Ixion’s beautifully engineered opening firebox door!  Now, to really complicate things, the email discussion got onto smoke.  My last smoke fitted loco was a Tri-ang Britannia (with Synchrosmoke) ‘handed down’ from my brother in the mid-1960s, which would steam away quite happily when I remembered to add the smoke fluid from one of those small capsules Tri-ang sold for 1/-.  I know it was a bit of a gimmick 40 odd years ago, but I was interested to see how the concept of smoke simulation had progressed in the intervening years.  So, on the list we now had sound, working lamp, firebox flicker and smoke!

However, before Paul had started the installation, I had obtained one of the (then) new Ixion Fowlers with Paul’s Fowler sound project and the ‘stay alive’ function from Paul Martin at EDM.  Now I have a confession to make.  My track-laying skills, even with standard Peco code 124 bullhead track, are not particularly good and although the little Manning Wardle 0-4-0ST ran very smoothly on my straight, level, clean test track, it had proved to be somewhat jerky on my shunting layout, especially through the Peco points (not Peco’s fault!).  However, the diminutive Fowler, with an equally short 0-4-0 wheelbase, ran without hesitation along all the track and pointwork.  Buoyed with excitement and rather pushing my luck, I asked Paul C whether he could include a stay alive capacitor in the Manning Wardle.  I can only imagine Paul’s exasperation, something like: “Does this guy know how much space there really is in this model?” or words to that effect!  However, all credit to Paul, he said he would give it a go.  A 143,000uF stay alive capacitor was duly added.

The final result is truly amazing.  Superb sound, realistic controllable working lamp, firebox flicker, smoke and a brilliant stay alive capability.  The Manning Wardle will creep over the pointwork at slow walking pace with no hesitation and no interruption of sound.  All this is a model based on an 0-4-0ST prototype, measuring only 20’ 5” (over buffers) in real life and 5⅝” in 7mm scale.  They don’t get much smaller than that!

The sound is very convincing and feels just right for a small industrial steam loco and the sound project has 23 different functions including flange squeal, separate wagon and wagon buffering sounds, and the usual injector, blower, cylinder drain cocks, safety valves and coal shoveling sounds (with the firebox flicker).

Whether you like simulated smoke or not, I think the smoke is a very effective addition.  The sound and motion (chuffs and wheels) are synchronised by use of a reed switch and the switch input on the decoder. This provides a different volume/density depending whether the locomotive is stationary, accelerating, cruising or decelerating.

I forgot to say that Paul asked if I wanted any extra sounds on the sound project utilising the unused function keys.  So I thought, what do I remember when standing near a slow-moving loco?  Well apart from the wheezing and hissing (the loco, not me), I always think of the creaking sleepers as the loco moves slowly about the sidings.  I also asked my wife what sounds she remembers from being trackside and she said “the sound of the birds”.  Typical!  I told Paul this and much to my surprise (and my wife’s delight), he included both sounds on the chip.  Although the birdsong moves with the locomotive (of course), it is very pleasing when the loco is sitting in a siding simmering away.  And, the sleeper creak is extremely effective – you really sense the sleepers creaking in front of you!

I made a couple of videos of the Manning Wardle running on the layout, which Paul has kindly posted on YT:

http://youtu.be/IyLPh1WjHc4

The running is much smoother than appears in the videos.

I hasten to add that the usual disclaimers apply - I'm just a very satisfied customer of both Paul Chetter's work and Ixion.

I’ve uploaded a couple of photos of the Manning Wardle painted and weathered.  Paul painted the cab interior whilst the loco was dismantled.  I gave the exterior a couple of coats of Humbrol acrylic spray primer and then a top coat of Humbrol acrylic spray tank grey.  I weathered it using my usual mix of acrylic paints with weathering powders and Maskol for ‘peeling rust’.  I wanted to represent a rather old, hard-worked engine that hasn't seen the paint shop for some time.  I did originally use the builder’s plates from my Ixion Hudswell Clarke pack but close-up photos gave the game away, so I’ll get some ‘Manning Wardle’ plates sometime soon.  I used nameplates from one of the other Ixion locos – Jemima seems just right for it!

attachicon.gifIxion Manning Wardle 1.jpg

attachicon.gifIxion Manning Wardle 2.jpg

Stephen

The simulated corrosion on the left side of the cab is very convincing.

• RMweb Gold

Running ought to be smooth because  each wheel is independently sprung.

Actually Chris that's drivel. Each wheel of your excellent Manning Wardle does have an independent spring, so that much is true, but as for them allowing it to flex to the track its a nonsense as the springs, like many loco's that claim to be sprung (thinking of lots of my 0n3 brass and the more recent MMI loco's) are so strong that they keep the axlebox pressed firmly against the keep making the chassis no better than a rigid one and sometimes worse.

Compare it to the spring on the the Fowler and HC (oops, you can't as I've got the MW) and you'll note that they work the other way round in that the spring is compressed and they ride on the chassis on flat track and only spring down in to a void.

Keep alive will work well with the MW but actually riding on its springs would also be better.

My personal specimen is with Paul Martin for a sound make-over. Running ought to be smooth because  each wheel is independently sprung.

Chris

The need to install a 'stay alive' wasn't a criticism of the model which, as I said in my post, ran beautifully on clean, level track.  It is more a consequence of my poor track-laying skills and probably the cleanliness of the track. :blush:

Stephen

How much interest would there be in a re-run of this loco? We need a minimum order of 50 pieces and the price would probably be around £460 including VAT at current exchange rates for a plain black livery. Delivery would be about three months from executing the order.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps you'd like to do away with the front springs and fit a compensating beam.

No. You could just sort the springs out! I've done my own so I'll see if its feeling photogenic although the springs in question are pretty well hidden.

Compensation as you suggest would provide the contact with the rail but sorting the springs out does that and makes the model ride with less clunks and bangs.

• RMweb Gold

How much interest would there be in a re-run of this loco? We need a minimum order of 50 pieces and the price would probably be around £460 including VAT at current exchange rates for a plain black livery. Delivery would be about three months from executing the order.

Chris are you going to run a poll to find the numbers? If so put me down for one! Michael.

There are two other locos in the acquisition queue before another MW for me, but I'm sure that you can get a rerun of the Manning Wardle to sell.

jrust out of interest, is it onown how many were sold in Australia compared to the UK?

30 of the 100 went to Australia.

I put my hand up Chris for a black one for the land Down Under.

Put me down for one please

Doug

• RMweb Gold

No. You could just sort the springs out! I've done my own so I'll see if its feeling photogenic although the springs in question are pretty well hidden.

Compensation as you suggest would provide the contact with the rail but sorting the springs out does that and makes the model ride with less clunks and bangs.

Judging by experience of springing on locos generally I think that commercially it is not so easy to get the springs right to balance the loco correctly. Doing yourself you can tweak it a bit here and there probably not commercially viable.

Don

Guest 838rapid

Message sent Chris,sorry if it reads a bit disjointed,the joys of using a tablet for messages,key board hides the message box,so typed blind,then it won't let me edit it.Progress hmmm.

Here's a reminder of what it looks like. If we do a re-run it will be in black. The smoke-box and fire-box doors work. The bucket hanging from a lamp-iron is the world famous Ixion bucket with working handle supplied with the Hudswell Clarke or available separately with the steam loco tool kit accessory pack.

post-13142-0-85857700-1409641485_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-11852400-1409641506_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-80924200-1409641520_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-34227000-1409641538_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-72548500-1409641549.jpg

I see this has appeared on the Ixion blog as well, but would it be worth sticking a thread up in the Ixion forum in Products & Trade Area Chris? Given that we've wandered slightly off topic, the title of this thread doesn't give anything away about the potential re- run :blum:  

Incidentally- that's some lovely weathering on "Jemima" Stephen. Chris' example is none too shabby either (or perhaps it is, but in a good way).

Stay alive capacitor is probably a good option for the Manning Wardle. Somehow, I just don't see how I'll get the Stanton battery pack inside one of these!

This is what my stay alive solution for the Manning Wardle looks like before insulating. The stay alive was a late addition to the requested features, so I had to make it fit into the spaces I'd not used for other things.

On reflection, since the ZIMO MX645 decoder regulates the voltage to the stay alive to 16V, I could have safely used 6 x 2.7v supercaps instead of the 7 shown.

post-9747-0-19964200-1409659529_thumb.jpg

Kind regards,

Paul

Archived