Bachmann announce 0-6-2T L&NWR Webb Coal Tank

Andy Y

• 10 months later...

Another late comer to this thread, by someone with no knowledge or interest in this little engine really....... But, my father grew up in Hinckley with the Nuneaton Leicester line at the bottom of the garden, and has fond memories of a teatime train with a coal tank and a pair of elderly clerestories passing the house. Circa LMS livery so probably very early 40's, has anyone got anyone ideas of the Webb tank loco's which may have made an appearance. I'm planning a birthday loco for him .

Edited by w124bob

• 11 months later...
On 02/04/2018 at 13:55, coachmann said:

A local pal has made a neat job of fitting auto-vac equipment, something i have yet to find time to do. Does anyone produce the basic equipment  in 4mm as fitted to many locos in the later 1930's?

On 03/04/2018 at 14:37, Steamport Southport said:

I'm pretty sure Alan Gibson does them.

Jason

Are you both talking about the push and pull equipment some of the Coal Tanks were fitted with? If so I am looking to get an Coal Tank modified but would appreciate some guidance :)

Yes. But Larry is no longer on here....

I bought a set for a Jinty. If I remember correctly these are the ones. Suitable for LMS (MR/LNWR) and LNER. ISTR you need to buy the pipes separately.

Alan Gibson.

4M757**  Push/pull gear 

http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/

Some photos of the prototypes here.

https://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/Push Pull YTT.html

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/01/2020 at 19:33, Garethp8873 said:

Are you both talking about the push and pull equipment some of the Coal Tanks were fitted with? If so I am looking to get an Coal Tank modified but would appreciate some guidance :)

Be sure not to confuse the LMS (Midland-design) vacuum-controlled regulator gear, with valve on the side of the smokebox, with the earlier LNWR system, which I understand used a mechanical linkage.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 1

On 29/01/2020 at 22:22, Steamport Southport said:

Yes. But Larry is no longer on here....

I bought a set for a Jinty. If I remember correctly these are the ones. Suitable for LMS (MR/LNWR) and LNER. ISTR you need to buy the pipes separately.

Alan Gibson.

4M757**  Push/pull gear 

http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/

Some photos of the prototypes here.

https://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/Push Pull YTT.html

Jason

22 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Be sure not to confuse the LMS (Midland-design) vacuum-controlled regulator gear, with valve on the side of the smokebox, with the earlier LNWR system, which I understand used a mechanical linkage.

Thank you both. @Steamport Southport I will look at a ordering a 4M757**  Push/pull gear when I know the project is to go ahead :)

• RMweb Premium

The photo there of Coal Tank 58887 shows the vacuum-controlled gear, on the RH side (looking forward, i.e. starboard) of the smokebox, likewise 41908, whereas as originally introduced by the Midland in 1907, it was fitted on the LH side. 

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, OliverRowley said:

Hi all,

Just enquire as to whether anyone has any pictures of these actually running as colliery engines. I believe that some were used by the newly formed NCB relatively soon after the nationalisation of the industry?

Or have I got that completely wrong?

Thanks

Olly

Not that I know of.

Apart from the misleading name they were mostly used on passenger trains and more general goods trains, rather than coal trains. It was just that they were the tank version of the 17" Coal Engine which is where the name originated from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNWR_17in_Coal_Engine

Most photos I've seen suggests passenger train use was most common. 

https://lnwrs.zenfolio.com/p450235283

Never say never, but I've not seen any photos of them at collieries. Loads of the South Wales 0-6-2Ts inherited by the GWR did though.

Jason

• Like 1

A little bit of digging and it seems that three were loaned to the NCB including the now preserved example.

In 1950 it was at Shrewsbury, again working local passenger trains this time to Craven Arms and, after four years, moved to Abergavenny from where it was loaned to the National Coal Board for 12 months working alongside two of its class mates at Windsor Colliery in Ynysybwl near Pontypridd. It returned to Abergavenny as the last survivor of its type and, incidentally, the last Webb-designed locomotive in operation. 

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/58926-lnwr-1054-lms-7799-lms-27799-br-58926/

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

They were often used on passenger services because the loco braking system was inefficient. With vacuum brake carriages in tow, the problem was taken care of.

J M Dunn, Shedmaster at Bangor, apparently kept the last Coal Tank "hidden" and was one of the group that organsied it's purchase from BR.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, Garethp8873 said:

@coachmann... following on from my posting last year as to the Push-Pull Coal Tanks, I have now decided to go ahead with the project. As you said Alan Gibson's 4M757** Push/pull gear is required but I will also need to order the pipes seperately. Where can I go to order the pipes please?

I think you'll have to widen your search, TBH; Larry (Coachmann) hasn't been on here for some time AFAIK.

Has anybody removed the cab roof with the back/front/side panels?
The front of the cab plate seems to be either glued in place or there's a nub? catch somewhere.
Why?  I want to fit a crew and as every other part of the cab moulding can be moved,

I'm wondering, without breaking anything, how to release the moulding.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I finally got round to trying one of the Bachmann Coal Tanks on DCC.  I must admit it's been a right challenge to get enough Tantalum capacitors inside the boiler and under the bunker to keep the loco running consistently.  The contacts seem far flimsier than on other Bachmann locos.  One wheel contact inverted and jammed against a spoke.  Other Bachmann Tank locos have been much easier to get running consistently.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, liathach said:

I finally got round to trying one of the Bachmann Coal Tanks on DCC.  I must admit it's been a right challenge to get enough Tantalum capacitors inside the boiler and under the bunker to keep the loco running consistently.  The contacts seem far flimsier than on other Bachmann locos.  One wheel contact inverted and jammed against a spoke.  Other Bachmann Tank locos have been much easier to get running consistently.

Mine's been running on DCC from day one and runs like a dream, no need for stay alives and other such gizmos.

If you suffer from poor running on a number of locos, I would suspect the track, not the locos.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/02/2021 at 10:50, Penlan said:

I found out how to do it...
There's a couple of tabs on the front cab plate that locate into the tank tops,
This photos I have used elsewhere on FB. 

Side Tanks #1.jpg

Side Tanks #2.jpg

Bachmann Cab Front.jpg

Is this a respray ?

interested to see it whole with its lining ?

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Is this a respray ? Interested to see it whole with its lining ?

No, original Bachmann paint with Pressfix Lining added.
The bright steel strips on the tank top edges have been toned down a bit too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There is a photo of 58902 and 58926 at Abercynon ( Western Region ) shed being serviced when working at NCB Ynsybwl. 58926 was then loaned to Llanbradoch colliery. The photo ( page 153) is in that essential book on the Coal Tanks “Bashers, Gadgets and Mourners” by Peter Skellon, published by the Bahamas Locomotive Society.

David

• 2 months later...