Rayley Creek

Dan Duggan

Hi all

I'm a member of the East Ham Society/Railway club and over there I am  involved in building the EM gauge layout Clatter ford when one gets the chance to go up the club. But my own personal interest are EM gauge K&ESR which is on hold whilst the kids are young and I am currently in the middle of building Rayley Creek which is a 2 foot gauge base on  USA narrow gauge (the reason for this: easy build, ready to run, not tied down to any thing just completely free lance and have fun). The track work is Peco on30 track work with some home made track work or converted Peco setrack points and is powered by a NCN Power Cab which I think is great value for the money, with Tam Valley DCC point controllers which use a servo and these also change the polarity off the vee. The base board are constructed out of 6mm ply sandwich over pine timber to make a hollow light weight frame with a insulation foam top, these measure 1 by 0.6 meters each apart from the fiddle yard and the 2x add on pieces and sit on light weight a frame legs that are very strong and fold up flat. All loco stock is Bachmann on30 or H0 conversions with sound fitted, all rolling stock is kit built chivers wagons and some others or converted H0 converted stock.

Any way enough of the boring stuff here are a few pics of the progress to were I am today:

The base board construction

picture187.jpg

picture188.jpg

picture189.jpg

picture190.jpg

Sorry but I'm having trouble with Photo Bucket, will try again later.

Thing seem to be working again so here's a few more whilst I have 5 minutes.

The basic layout plane all track work is peco 0-16.5 and peco setrack re-sleepered with 0-16.5.

picture212.jpg

picture186.jpg

picture240.jpg

Beginnings on the scenery and sructures, some rolloing stock more on these later

a7271b7d-62f0-417f-9b43-365294ecd066.jpg

picture238.jpg

picture234.jpg

picture239.jpg

picture246.jpg

Home made diamond crossing

picture241.jpg

picture244.jpg

picture250.jpg

picture249.jpg

picture011.jpg

Converted Peco setrack point

picture205.jpg

Sorry having problems again.

Hi Bob

I'm glad you like it, one thing I'm struggling with is trying to create the us narrow atmosphere. I.e. that open spacious sort of look and trying to keep the colours light as possible on the ballasting and rock work, also keeping the greenery down and having more rough gravel flooring.

The biggest one is remembering i'm working in us O scale not 4mm to the foot with the same track gauge.

Cheers Dan

Hi all

The board at the far end got cut up and used for the mine section and fiddle yard. This will become clearer later.

picture248-1.jpg

Found another picture of the diamond crossing.

picture249.jpg

The layout in its new location with more space. The section of the board I found to big and was put at the front end of the layout to give a bigger run for the locos and then the rear board was cut in half and put in its place.

picture012.jpg

Scenery on the Rayley Creek section

picture003.jpg

picture004.jpg

picture005.jpg

picture006.jpg

picture007.jpg

picture008.jpg

picture016.jpg

picture017.jpg

picture018.jpg

picture019.jpg

picture020-1.jpg

picture025.jpg

picture028.jpg

The station got moved to here but is now back in its original place

picture029.jpg

picture032.jpg

More up dates later

Cheers Dan

Hi Guys

Here's a few more

This is the fiddle yard section that I just recently built

picture055.jpg

picture046.jpg

picture045.jpg

picture047-1.jpg

picture050-1.jpg

The hill side water tower, this is were the station was and is now back in this place again and the water tower is now awaiting and new place to go.

picture052-1.jpg

The full layout under the new T5 lighting

picture044.jpg

picture042.jpg

picture024.jpg

picture057.jpg

picture054-1.jpg

The station is back were the water tower is in the picture below and the siding was originally going to be the mine, then is was a small saw mill now I don't know.

picture081.jpg

picture054-1.jpg

I re-done the greenery around the Rayley creek module as I thought it was a bit over the top and added some rocks.

picture083.jpg

picture085.jpg

picture087-1.jpg

picture088-1.jpg

Cheers Dan

Yes, Dan, a narrow gauge is a scenic nightmare at times !

1/45th scale, metre-gauge (22.5 mm) means that I keep one or two wagons on-site all the time, being very careful with both the soldering iron and the super glue !!

Your scenery is certainly coming on apace and looks superb.

Hi Bob

That's what I've been doing for the past few months to try and keep things in proportion and distance from the track. It's a good method to use I think, even for standard gauge.

This is bit of a flash up date to get to where I am today. What you see including the base boards is what I have built since the Christmas period and thank you.

I've had a go at using chalks for the scenic work and I think its great to use but I have found that using lighter shades instead of darker works best: 1. It goes a lot darker when I spray it in matt varnish or artist lacquer to seal it. 2. The lighter the shading and high lights the more realistic it looks, I think to many people including my self always darken things. 

Thank you Bob and others for your likes, I'm new to the forum and still working things out as it is quite different to use compared to others.

Cheers dan

Hi all

Nearly catching up to where I am today.

Below picture is the original base board and track plane for the mine section but it stuck out to far into the garage and got on my nurves so it was cut in half, one half was use as a part to make up the fiddle yard (This is what the hill side and tunnel site on) and the other half is what makes up the mine module today.

picture030.jpg

Below is the start of the coal mine module

picture089-1.jpg

picture086.jpg

picture092.jpg

picture093.jpg

The Coal tippler

picture076.jpg

picture090-1.jpg

picture096.jpg

Cheers Dan

Hi there

Below is a picture of the mine were I am today, this is were I got to last week with it.

picture105.jpg

Below is some more work I done at the weekend.

This is the station and what ever goes depot module but you cant see them in these picture plus the depot isn't built yet, my attention was towards the warehouse and road plus greenery.

The building is a kit but really its was scratch built using a builders material pack and planes and once built was stained with India ink and then simply coloured in using a Technic from Joey at tracksidesenery.com.

The road was simply made out of plaster with some black India ink to give it a light grey tone then darkened to give a worn look using washes and chalks, then a white dusting of chalk pastel was spread along the road then rubbed in with a flat brush.

The open area to the left is were the station was and another building like a loco garage or something like that will go in its place any way enough of the boring stuff here's some pictures.

picture101.jpg

picture102.jpg

picture103.jpg

picture104.jpg

Hope you like cheers Guys

• 6 months later...

Hi Chris

Thank you.

I have re-done the thread in USA Railroading. I don't know why RMWeb do overseas and then another section with all the different countries.

Better yet go freerails.com, on30, Rayley Creek.

Cheers Dan

Better yet go freerails.com, on30, Rayley Creek.

Cheers Dan

Thanks, Dan, a super archive  !    

There I also re-discovered Gilbert Gribi, another modeller who makes me want to reach for the 'paraffin and match' combination and start all over again  :cry:

Archived