LNER carriage diagram and lot numbers

instanter

Hi,

I'm hoping to make some LNER bogie carriages in 5" gauge and have the usual books. I also have some works drawings from Butterley.

My problem is that the books refer to the diagram numbers, but the drawings only refer to the lot numbers. I understand the difference between the two, but can't find a source to link the two together. So, for instance, I'm looking at drawing 49474, underframe members for lots 7046 and 7050, but can't tell what sort of carriages these were.

Does anyone out there know where to find a list that ties the diagram and lot numbers together please.

The 'bible' on LNER carriages is this:

http://booklaw.co.uk/eshop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=lner+carriages&search_in_description=1&categories_id=&inc_subcat=1&manufacturers_id=&pfrom=2.00&pto=&dfrom=&dto=

Has an appendix giving lot numbers, diagram numbers, build dates and running numbers, for LNER stock. 

There's also:

http://www.lner.info/index.shtml

A veritable mine of information from very knowledgeable people.

The 'bible' on LNER carriages is this:

http://booklaw.co.uk/eshop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=lner+carriages&search_in_description=1&categories_id=&inc_subcat=1&manufacturers_id=&pfrom=2.00&pto=&dfrom=&dto=

Has an appendix giving lot numbers, diagram numbers, build dates and running numbers, for LNER stock. 

There's also:

http://www.lner.info/index.shtml

A veritable mine of information from very knowledgeable people.

I can echo the reference to the LNER encyclopaedia forum. On the occasions when I have posted queries on it I have been impressed by the number and quality of responses. When I wanted info' about platform barrows I got loads of stuff including a drawing which was good enough to allow Peter Harvey to make me up some etches to 7mm scale.

Thanks for the responses.

I have the book in question which gives diagram and order numbers, but not lot numbers which are different. The LNER encyclopaedia doesn't seem to have the information either, though perhaps their forum can help.

The LNER did not use lot numbers.

Since this drawing is from the HMRS Met Cam collection, the drawing number will be the Met Cam drawing number and the two lot numbers will refer to Met Cam orders. To pursue this further you will need to look at the Met Cam order books or drawing registers, which will be either at Butterley or the NRM or possibly Birmingham Library. These will give you the type of carriage ordered, but you will have to cross check this information against the lists in Harris' book to find the diagram numbers.

I am not an expert here but from Bills comments above and reference to Chris Bishops monograph on LNER coaches:-

Met Cam Order No 7050 was Dia 27A, Third Open, Built 1929, Original No's 6100 & 6101, later 61705, 61706. 61705 was detroyed by enemy action 1940?.... 61706 became 12185. Both worked on the Liverpool St to Cromer service.

I havent come across the 7046 order as yet but will post when I do.

Unfortunately Mr Bishop passed away last year but his files are now with the LNER Society.

Hope of help,

Steve

Further checking the Files:-

Order No 7046 was Dia 10C, Restaurant First, Built 1929, Original No's 651 and 652, Final 1943 no's 9015 & 9016

I should point out that for both 7046 and 7050 the builder is show as Metropolitan and I am assuming they were built before the amalgamation of Metropolitan and Cammell Laird in 1929 to become Met Cam.

Steve

Steve,

Many thanks for that information, exactly what I was looking for.

Interestingly, according to their web site "A list of the Met Camm Order Numbers relating to each of the orders shown on Michael Harris's lists can be purchased from LNERCA". I'm still waiting for a reply to my e-mail though.

Archived