Ragtag

I'd like to start by saying I was a little hesitant to post this, but in the end I thought it best that the experience was shared to stop others ending up in the same situation..

I purchased a Class 114 kit from Charlie some time ago and popped it in the stash for a rainy day, only to recently discover that one of the etched frets (containing the underframe details for one car) is missing. Now, granted, I should have checked the product was complete when I received it but I don't expect problems with a new, sealed kit. I contacted Charlie to see if he could supply a replacement, and was told the frets have run out, the kit is discontinued, and the entire DC Kits range is being phased out as parts become unavailable (note that at the time of writing the Class 114 is still listed as for sale on the DC Kits website).

I replied with further enquiries in an attempt to reach a satisfactory resolution but received no response. End result: I've been sold an incomplete kit and received only an apology with no attempt to remedy the situation. I try not to read too much into the 'tone' of e-mail exchanges, as it's possible to infer things which aren't there, but the communications left a bit of a bad taste. I'd appreciate any advice fellow RMWebbers might have on how to proceed from here?

As a separate issue, I placed an order on April 4th for various accessories to go with the kit, but the parcel was not dispatched until the end of July. There was no communication from DC Kits in the intervening months to notify of the delay, or explain it.

Overall I was left very disappointed with the levels of customer service I've experienced with DC Kits recently - so very different from my positive experiences with Realtrack Models recently and with DC Kits in the past.

Edited by Ragtag

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I sympathise with the OP over the Class 114 kit issue, the reason DC may be a little late with their orders at the moment is I believe they have had a small fire at their premises recently, as reported on another forum.  That also may be why they are not able to reply to e-mails at present.

They are obviously very busy at the moment trying to recover from this setback, so the advice is to ring them to see where your order is.

I know it is frustrating not to have a reply to an e-mail, but I know from my experience of work in a large multinational insurance company that just because you have sent an e-mail doesn't mean it has been read!

Thanks & regards

Paul

On a similar note, I purchased a 144 at Warley last year, got home and put it away as a Xmas present to myself.

When the day arrived I was surprised to find that one of the coaches appeared to have the wrong bodyshell (ie both bodyshells were the same) but all the other bits were correct (toilet windows but no vent on the roof etc and the same destinations at both ends). I contacted Charlie on here and he said it was best to ring them at the shop, I let Xmas and New Year get out the way and I started ringing at the beginning of February, despite about 14 phone calls over 4 weeks (I have kept a log somewhere) I never even got an answer, the phone just rang and rang until I got the usual 'the person you are calling is not available' recorded message.

I still think it is a beautiful model but that roof really grinds so it is back in its box and packed away.

I will still be buying some FGW 143s but will be checking them straight away, I know the chances of something similar happening again are very slim indeed but you never know.

Edited by royaloak

Private PM sent, our hours of business are 8am - 1pm & 6pm - 8pm Mon to Thursday.  We do not have an answer phone so getting a 'Message caller not available' is interesting!

Ring me and hopefully we can help.

Charlie:    PPS Return the incorrect bodyshell for a swap.

• Like 1

Message received thanks, it is all packed away and in storage due to an impending house move so it will be a while before I can dig it out.

Edit-

We have Sky telephone and it might be that which is sending the 'caller not available' message if it has been ringing for a while, it has done the same thing for other numbers as well.

Edited by royaloak

• 3 months later...

Hi my friend dale 159 ordered a class 205 center coach for me 3 months ago a cheque was sent and cashed but still waiting for the kit he has sent several emails but he has no replies I understand there has been a fire but this is very poor customer service when are we likely to receive the kit ?

when are we likely to receive the kit ?

Only Charlie can answer that question!

In view of the fact that the cheque has been cashed have you considered that the item has been posted and possibly lost in transit? Anyway, give Charlie a call and give him a chance to answer...he likes a chat! ;)

Hope it gets resolved soon.

• Like 1

Hi,

I have to post my experience here too. Pleased to hear that my order from early last year for 32 PFA wagons was able to be filled this year around June. Paid for items in September after finally getting a total. $450AU later and now December with no sign of kits and no response to emails. Have rung twice and promised delivery a month ago, but no sign of them yet. Appreciate that there may be problems, but a little communication + the items I ordered would be nice.

Jeff

We will be posting out another 64'6" suburban coach on Monday, according to my paperwork it was sent over a month ago, sorry but are having big issues here on the kit front. 

After the fire and explosion, we had to empty out every room the have the front and rear walls demolished and rebuilt, every room is having to be re-decorated, new internal walls built. Every downstairs room and their ceilings re-plastered, a new office built and the computer  and packing area re-instated within this new office. ALL carpets replaced a new rear door put on and the total kitchen ripped out and replaced.

Thus all kit stuff has been removed and placed in storage, the DCC side is mainly handled by Ian and most of the Realtrack items were not affected as they mainly are not here.

Sorry to ALL for any delays but  I CANNOT HANDLE EVERYTHING in the current situation, trying to give priority to xmas stuff for obvious reasons.

Under pressure Charlie.

I have managed to find the 143 (with the wrong bodyshell) but bearing in mind your post above (good luck getting it all sorted Charlie and team) I will call you in the middle of February if the offer of a replacement is still possible.

After moving house I can appreciate how soul destroying moving lots of boxes can be, the fact you have to then move them back into the same place once the rebuild is finished must just make it even worse.

• RMweb Premium

Having visited Charlie recently all I can say is that he is working as best he can in a building site!  

Luckily the explosion didn't totally destroy the building but his repair/builders seem to have tried hard to do so!  

No doubt he will get back to his usual self shortly.... so long as the builders have finished!

Baz

• Like 1

Placed an order for a Lenz 100 command station, transformer and xpress net. Payment went through and package was with me within 4 working days, and cheaper than i could find it anywhere else on the net. Havent tested it as working yet, but will be doing over the holiday period. Very happy with the speed the order and payment were processed in.

Thanks

Toph