Ragtag

Not sure if right place to post and not wanting to offend original poster - but just wanted to record appreciation for a fantastic service from DC kits / Charlie/Ian. I recently bought numerous sound decoders and got excellent advice, swiit delivery and after care when there was a minor problem. I didn't know anything about a fire, so it can't have been easy for them but the service I received was excellent.

Pat

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if these guys are still in business...? Made a big order end of january but didn't received anything... wrote 2 mails, no response...

My blue 47 is now lying around for 2 month :fie: , I need that decoder!!!

Edited by Class 74

Does anyone know if these guys are still in business...? Made a big order end of january but didn't received anything... wrote 2 mails, no response...

My blue 47 is now lying around for 2 month :fie: , I need that decoder!!!

he is part of Realtrack models so try there
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Charlie is still trying to sort his house out at the moment after last years minor explosion...he is doing well just getting to shows but ring him and see if he is waiting for sound chips..

I've only had dealings with DC kits at shows never on-line till now that is, a little while ago I ordered a class 144 from Realtrack  I'm thinking the units are in stock as nothing was said about back ordering. I've read somewhere on their site to allow 28 days for delivery in your dealings with them is that about right?

FYI This is in no way any kind of complaint I'm sure the 144 units are well worth the wait.

BAD NEWS

We are not in a position currently to handle 'ANY' DCKits plastic kits as rebuilding work is making little progress due to us being so busy on Digital, Realtrack, Shows and Online, so I have made the decision to leave all kits in storage this year, currently we are turning over more sales than this time last year without the kits which over the last 7 years has declined year on year by approx. 10%.

We are working hard to keep up with current demand, currently we are 10 days ish behind on certain products.    Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

BAD NEWS

We are not in a position currently to handle 'ANY' DCKits plastic kits as rebuilding work is making little progress due to us being so busy on Digital, Realtrack, Shows and Online, so I have made the decision to leave all kits in storage this year, currently we are turning over more sales than this time last year without the kits which over the last 7 years has declined year on year by approx. 10%.

We are working hard to keep up with current demand, currently we are 10 days ish behind on certain products.    Charlie

Shame as I had hoped to order on the of the kits but was waiting for you to say it was a go.

Guess I will have to wait until next year now!

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if in the right place.

Does anyone know if the Class 303 EMU kit as standard come with glazing? If not, what suitable glazing would be suitable to finish off the kit. (whenever I get around to buy one soon that is)

Thanks in advanced

Edited by HornbyA3Fan

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if in the right place.

Does anyone know if the Class 303 EMU kit as standard come with glazing? If not, what suitable glazing would be suitable to finish off the kit. (whenever I get around to buy one soon that is)

Thanks in advanced

Hi HornbyA3Fan - What a name!

Yes - the DC Kits class 303 comes with glazing strips.

Thanks

post-6887-0-91413300-1428519170_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scottish Modeller

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well I look forward to when DC kits are available again, as I've decided to press ahead with a 3H (class 205) project, in the absence of a centre car for the Kernow 2H. I will also buy a Swindon class 120 as I can't foresee this RTR. Unfortunately the replica power bogie is still unavailable so both projects will have to wait until next year.

Neil

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting to stumble across this thread and see that things have not changed much.  My experience started in Nov 2005 when I ordered a 2 bil. Although I was charged promptly the order did not arrive until Feb 2006.  It was opened the day it arrived. The driving coach was broken, with the motor driven up into it. The dummy car had random screws sticking out of it. I complained by email with photos and was told there was nothing Charlie could do if the postal service broke it up.  I pointed out that both the inner box and outer box were undamaged so it must have been put in damaged.  We agreed I would return it.  After a long silence Charlie said he was repairing it.  I finally received it back, but did not open it right away having very low expectation.  In Sept 2006 I did look at it and found that the motor did not run with only one set of wheels turning in each direction. I complained and again was told it was fine when it was sent.  Charlie also told me, very snugly, that the train I had returned had been repaired for more that I had paid for it.  I'm not sure selling damaged goods for full price is something to be proud of, but there you go.  The problems with the motor were so obvious it is impossible that it ran properly before it was sent, and was probably somebody else's damaged goods fostered off onto me.

At this point I gave up.  I wish there had been a forum to air my story with at the time.  Frankly, with the kind of attitude I experience, I'm amazed Charlie is still in business.

• Like 1

My experience of dealing with Charlie is that it does sometimes take a while to get a response, he does try to help. I've built four 105 kits and am halfway through a 501 - there were a few bits that were bent too far to be easily correctly and he happily exchanged them. He also exchanged some bits I damaged.

Interesting to stumble across this thread and see that things have not changed much. My experience started in Nov 2005 when I ordered a 2 bil. Although I was charged promptly the order did not arrive until Feb 2006. It was opened the day it arrived. The driving coach was broken, with the motor driven up into it. The dummy car had random screws sticking out of it. I complained by email with photos and was told there was nothing Charlie could do if the postal service broke it up. I pointed out that both the inner box and outer box were undamaged so it must have been put in damaged. We agreed I would return it. After a long silence Charlie said he was repairing it. I finally received it back, but did not open it right away having very low expectation. In Sept 2006 I did look at it and found that the motor did not run with only one set of wheels turning in each direction. I complained and again was told it was fine when it was sent. Charlie also told me, very snugly, that the train I had returned had been repaired for more that I had paid for it. I'm not sure selling damaged goods for full price is something to be proud of, but there you go. The problems with the motor were so obvious it is impossible that it ran properly before it was sent, and was probably somebody else's damaged goods fostered off onto me.

At this point I gave up. I wish there had been a forum to air my story with at the time. Frankly, with the kind of attitude I experience, I'm amazed Charlie is still in business.

Interesting to stumble across this thread and see that things have not changed much. My experience started in Nov 2005 when I ordered a 2 bil. Although I was charged promptly the order did not arrive until Feb 2006. It was opened the day it arrived. The driving coach was broken, with the motor driven up into it. The dummy car had random screws sticking out of it. I complained by email with photos and was told there was nothing Charlie could do if the postal service broke it up. I pointed out that both the inner box and outer box were undamaged so it must have been put in damaged. We agreed I would return it. After a long silence Charlie said he was repairing it. I finally received it back, but did not open it right away having very low expectation. In Sept 2006 I did look at it and found that the motor did not run with only one set of wheels turning in each direction. I complained and again was told it was fine when it was sent. Charlie also told me, very snugly, that the train I had returned had been repaired for more that I had paid for it. I'm not sure selling damaged goods for full price is something to be proud of, but there you go. The problems with the motor were so obvious it is impossible that it ran properly before it was sent, and was probably somebody else's damaged goods fostered off onto me.

At this point I gave up. I wish there had been a forum to air my story with at the time. Frankly, with the kind of attitude I experience, I'm amazed Charlie is still in business.

Oh come on that was 9 years ago. The fact he is still in business is better evidence.

(And I have learnt not to reply using taps talk from the garden)

Charlie was alive and kicking as usual at Expo this weekend, not bought much from him, but he is always helpful.

Now I am not having a go at anyone on the site, nor their experiences. I do work in retail and thankfully most of the customers are fine. But until you work in retail you will have no idea what some of the customers get up to. Some eBay posts report items being sent back as not working only to find its not the item that was sent (the honest customer returning their own broken item). Now sometimes its hard to distinguish between a genuine return and someone taking a liberty, every now and then the retailer/seller gets it wrong. Or the customer has got ones back up, well we are only human

I have no qualms about buying from Charlie, but then I have had nothing to complain about like most of his customers. On the other hand if he has had a bad day, I guess like most of us he would have a pop back. So do I and many others

By the way had been really well treated by the chap from Highlevel at the weekend, top guy

• Like 1

Many years ago I bought the class 101 kit. And as always happens Lima brought out one soon after and the kit went to live in the cupboard next to other unbuilt kits.

When I finally got round to building it I found that I had lost the instructions. I sent Charlie a message and within a week or so he had managed to find a copy of the instructions and sent them to me. Brilliant.

I always end up having a good chat with him at shows and he always seems to take money off me in the process. Even if he then moans at me about Scottish notes (in jest)

SEND THE MOTOR UNIT BACK AND WE WILL SORT IT OUT.  Charlie
  • Like 3