DCC Reverse loop control module

worzel

Hi all sorry if some of the following has already been asked       I have just purchased a Bachmann Dynasis controller second hand from Hattons as they are still not available new ( Ive been waiting over 6 months for them to come into stock )   Anyway I have to say I'm chuffed to bits with it I have 3 sound fitted loco's and I've  got them all working under their own numbers   sound the lot  excellent  .  However to get the controller working on my fairly extensive layout I need two reverse loop modules  and both Bachmann and Hornby are out of stock  please could someone point me in the direction of an alternative      thanks in anticipation 

Also  the layout currently works and will continue to work on conventional dc   with the dcc locos ( I an starting to convert the other 23  to dcc sound  but it will be a slow and expensive   job )  carefully isolated whilst dc mode is on   I use a dpdt   changeover switch to move between  dc & Dcc          my second question regards the turntable   which is an old airfix plastic kit     for dc operation  I use a dpdt  switch  for the deck polarity      Having read through all of the dcc turntable postings  I'm still none the wiser wether I need to fit a reversing loop module to the turntable as well  or wether the ddpdt switch will do the trick     advice please   thanks jim

Hi Worzel

I have not used a RLM but as far as I know they do not respond to command station commands rather they simply detect the change of polarity and switch accordingly. The only one I am vaguely familiar with is the Lenz LK200 which connects to the track before the loop for power take off and detection which rail is which and connects to the rails within the loop which need to be isolated at both exits of the turnout on both rails. The RLM detects any conflict of polarity and using rapid electronic switching changes the loop polarity before the command station cutout can trip.

Richard

I have just purchased a Bachmann Dynasis controller second hand from Hattons........ .  However to get the controller working on my fairly extensive layout I need two reverse loop modules  and both Bachmann and Hornby are out of stock  please could someone point me in the direction of an alternative

You need to do your research carefully on reversing modules, not all will work. The Dynamis has a very fast overload trip, which means that many reversing loop devices act too slowly and the Dynamis will shut down first.   I believe a handful of modules can be made to work with the Dynamis, perhaps Dynamis users can recommend something.

Also the layout currently works and will continue to work on conventional dc with the dcc locos carefully isolated whilst dc mode is on

It is much more important to isolate the DC locos when DCC mode is on. DC will not harm DCC locos but DCC can cook your DC motors.

my second question regards the turntable which is an old airfix plastic kit for dc operation I use a dpdt switch for the deck polarity Having read through all of the dcc turntable postings I'm still none the wiser wether I need to fit a reversing loop module to the turntable as well or wether the dpdt switch will do the trick

You DPDT switch will work equally well for DCC, no need to change it.

Keith

The Dynamis has a very fast response to a short, so you do need to be very careful in which reverse loop module you choose. Older design relay based ones will be too slow. You will need an all electronic one.

IIRC, ESU have said that the Lenz LK200 is compatible with Dynamis. The older Lenz LK100 is not as it is relay based.

You would have a long wait for the Dynamis to come back in to stock. Bachmann have deleted it from their range, their web site no longer lists it. It has apparently been replaced with a newer version, the Dynamis Ultima, which I believe has a spec much closer to the ESU Navigator, and a price tag to match.

• RMweb Gold

I use a gaugemaster reverse loop module for my yard which enters on the up line and departs on the down line and ive had no problems with it at all, ive got one unit wired up to all roads via the yards DCC bus (the yard is totally isolated from the rest of the layout as a reverse loop would be)

The only problem i did get was when i tried to wire a frog polarity switch to each individual point motor, when the point threw it reversed the polarity on the one point and caused a short, i removed the wire and it works fine now

Im using a lenz 100 btw

Archived