Tetleys Mills- the sale of the layout and collection.

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I now have the sad duty of arranging the disposal of this iconic layout, and all the stock and other items which accompany it. It is the wish of Dave's wife Julie that all proceeds go to Cancer Research. In the first instance, the intention is to allow RM Web members to make their choices. We shall have a stall at the Peterborough show next month, where items can be purchased, or picked up by those who have already bought them, and depending on how much remains that may be repeated elsewhere. I do not intend, save in the case of a very limited number of items which are effectively new, and have never been used by Dave, to put anything on E Bay. There will be no profiteering if it can be avoided. For that reason, some of the more iconic items will carry with them a requirement that the purchaser shall sign an undertaking that they will not be resold within a specified period of time.

It is necessary to adopt a very pragmatic approach, as there is a very large amount of things to be considered. Tony Wright has already started to assist me, and other volunteers would be welcome. There will be no "auction" as such - prospective purchasers will be asked to notify me of interest in specific items, and they will go to the highest bidder. Where possible, people will be asked to collect, as the task of posting everything would not be viable. Having said that, of course I will post things if there is no other way of getting them to the buyer, though in that case there will have to be a charge for so doing.

I shall start by listing some of the main items, mainly locos and coaching stock, and inviting notification of interest. Tony will be taking photographs of selected items on Friday, and they will then be attched to this thread, so that you can see exactly what you will be bidding for. We shall not however photograph everything, which would take forever. Such things as Bachmann Mk1's for example are identifiable by description, as are wagons.

I want to be flexible as to how this is done, so I shall now float one or two ideas, and I really would be grateful for comments on them.If things are non starters, the sooner I know, the better. So,

Idea 1. Would there be any interest in buying a " Tetley's Mills train". We have many photos of the layout, and I have personal memories of the formations, so, to give one example, how about a Tetley's Mills coal train, consisting of a WD and say 20 wagons plus brake, all weathered by Dave? There are others I could put together, but first off, does it appeal?

Idea 2. I really cannot contemplate selling individual wagons by post! We shall put them in generic batches, and offer them in that way, so X number of mineral wagons, or tank wagons, again to give just a couple of examples. But what about the number? I'm thinking in terms of 5 minimum, hopefully more. Would that be something you would go for?

I shall now list the locomotives and carriages available. Photos as described above will be added as soon as possible. There are some things which frankly aren't particularly good. Dave asked me to make that quite clear when describing them, and I shall do so. Nothing has run for at least two years, probably nearer three, so they are sold as seen, save that Tony intends, time permitting, to set up a test track, check each loco, and carry out any possible minor repairs which may be necessary.

LOCOMOTIVES.

1. Bachmann Ivatt 2.6.2T, weathered by Dave.  GONE!

post-1-0-07959600-1409899529_thumb.jpg

2. NRM Deltic, pristine.

post-1-0-63936300-1409899520_thumb.jpg   SOLD

3.Bachmann Class 24 diesel   RESERVED PENDING PAYMENT

4. Bachmann Class 37 diesel.  SOLD.

post-1-0-74690000-1410074194_thumb.jpg

5. Bachmann Crab 2.6.0, weathered by Dave. RESERVED PENDING PAYMENT

post-1-0-50867300-1409899488_thumb.jpg

6. Hornby Stanier 2.6.4T, weathered.

post-1-0-39906000-1410074612_thumb.jpg   RESERVED PENDING PAYMENT

7. Hornby L1 2.6.4T.  RESERVED PENDING PAYMENT

8. Hornby Black Five. weathered.

post-1-0-98521100-1409899787.jpg RESERVED PENDING PAYMENT

9. Hornby 8F, weathered.

post-1-0-15037100-1409899472_thumb.jpg  SOLD

10.Bachmann K3, weathered.

post-1-0-29604600-1409899531_thumb.jpg   RESERVED PENDING PAYMENT

11. Bachmann Ivatt 4 2.6.0, weathered.                  SOLD

post-1-0-19596700-1409899480_thumb.jpg

12.Bachmann Ivatt 2 2.6.0 weathered. RESERVED PENDING PAYMENT

13. Bachmann Fairburn 2.6.4T pristine.

post-1-0-63305600-1410074248_thumb.jpg RESERVED PENDING PAYMENT

14. Bachmann Fairburn 2.6.4T, weathered. SOLD.

15. Bachmann A1 4.6.2 renumbered by Dave as 60130 Kestrel. Pristine. RESERVED PENDING PAYMENT

post-1-0-35871200-1410074643_thumb.jpg

16. Bachmann WD 2.8.0, heavily weathered by Dave. RESERVED PENDING PAYMENT

post-1-0-27453500-1409899477_thumb.jpg

17. Class 101 DMU, Hornby, centre car missing at present. RESERVED PENDING PAYMENT

post-1-0-40718400-1409899527_thumb.jpg

18. Class 108 DMU. Bachmann.

post-1-0-38863500-1410074686_thumb.jpg  SOLD

19. Bachmann Derby lighweight 2 car DMU. I do not think this has ever been run. SOLD

20. Bachmann 3F 0.6.0. Brand new, mint boxed. RESERVED PENDING PAYMENT.

post-1-0-15136200-1410074324_thumb.jpg

KIT BUILT OR ADAPTED LOCOMOTIVES.

1. Derby lighweight DMU, built by Dave from DC kit, black beetle motor. SOLD.

post-1-0-23011700-1409899513_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-43776100-1409899517_thumb.jpg

2. Class 110 three car DMU, Calder Valley set, Horny based, but Dave has substituted a black beetle motor.

post-1-0-66723800-1410074356_thumb.jpg  SOLD.

3. WD 2.8.0, built by Dave from DJH kit, and weathered.SOLD

post-1-0-89944700-1409899522_thumb.jpg

4. Class J50 0.6.0T  Tony and I aren't sure about the provenance of this one. Dave built it, and it is on a Comet chassis, but we aren't sure of the name of the kit manufacturer. it certainly isn't a Lima body, it is metal.

post-1-0-13147500-1409899530_thumb.jpg  RESERVED PENDING PAYMENT

5. Scratchbuilt  Class P2 2.8.2. Dave acquired this from the estate of a friend. It is in totally fictitious BR Brunswick Green livery.

post-1-0-82164000-1410074196_thumb.jpg  RESERVED PENDING PAYMENT.

These are necessarily brief descriptions for now. Please send me a PM if interested, and I will try to answer any queries.

COACHING STOCK.

1. Hornby Gresley non corridor all third.               ALL OF THESE NOW SOLD.

2. Hornby Gresley non corridor composite.

3. Hornby Thompson non corridor composite.

4. Hornby  Gresley non corridor brake.

All of these are brand new and boxed. The last one in particular is much sought after. I would be prepared to put these on E Bay, as Dave never got to use them, but I'll give those on here first opportunity.

5. Six Bachmann MK1's. BSK x2 SO x3, and Buffet car.  Dave bought these cheap in Inter City livery, and repainted and lined them in maroon. He specifically asked me to say they are by no means a professional job. They could however suit a young modeller, or someone prepared to strip the paint and start again. I would want to sell these as one lot. RESERVED PENDING PAYMENT

6.  Six standard Bachmann Mk1's. BSK x2, SO x 2, CK and FK. Again I'd prefer to sell these as one lot, unless they are bought at a show.  ALL NOW RESERVED PENDING PAYMENT

7. Kirk Gresley corridors.

BSK in crimson and cream            BOTH SOLD

BCK in maroon.

8. Kirk Gresley non corridor.

One artic twin in maroon

One BT                                           ALL  SOLD

One Third.

9. Mailcoach Gresley Tourist Buffet car.

post-1-0-41734800-1410074422_thumb.jpg

Built by Dave, and not very good.            RESERVED PENDING PAYMENT

10. Mailcoach Gresley Twin Artic third.

Built by Dave, better than the Buffet, but again not a professional job.

11.Mainline LMS composite in BR maroon. RESERVED PENDING PAYMENT

12. Hornby Stanier third in BR maroon. SOLD

13. Southern Pride CK.

post-1-0-34486400-1410074466_thumb.jpg

Built by Dave. Not a professional job.

14. Bachmann Thompson corridors  SOLD

FK x2  SK. Again, to be sold as one lot, unless purchased at an exhibition.

15. Hornby Stanier first. Livery to be confirmed. SOLD

16. Kirk Gresley BG weathered.  SOLD.

17. Comet kit built Thompson non corridor .

Composite, Third and Brake 3rd

post-1-0-73103200-1410074800_thumb.jpg

Left till last deliberately. Dave built and painted these, but they are his later work, and much better in all ways. Very nice indeed.

Finally, there are two parts of the new layout which Dave managed to do even while he was ill. These will be carefully cut out, and offered for sale, either for someone who could incorporate them into a layout, or just as diaramas to be cherished and admired. It is frankly heartbreaking to look at these, and realise just how wonderful this new layout would have been. We hope to have these on display at Coventry the week after next, but photos will be on here first. I will most definitely be seeking written undertakings that these will not be sold on for profit, and we would not hesitate to name and shame anyone who broke such an undertaking. You will gather that I feel strongly about this.

That will do for now, or I shall be here all day. Come to think of it, I feel as though I already have! Lots more to come, but you will assist me greatly if you indicate interest based on these details, and of course Tony and I will try to help with any queries or requests for additional information. Wagons, signals, buildings, and much more to be listed when we have had time to go through all of it.

I can now add some more items, and images. Please note though that there are not images for everything, Tony has done over 100 to get where we are now, and just can't photograph every individual item, so we have done a selection. I'll comment where necessary on individual images.

Now, here is something different! It isn't RTR by the look of it, but we are baffled as to what kit it might be from. I'm told it should have yellow ends, but that shouldn't be too difficult to put right.

Diesel%20brake%20tender.jpg

Next we have a Marc Models Thompson BZ, built and painted by Dave. Nice model of an unusual protototype, which lasted well into post steam days.Marc%20Models%20BZ%2001.jpgMarc%20Models%20BZ%2002.jpg

Next we have a number of other NPCS. I shall now use my catalogue numbers, when I remember that is.

C 43.     Bachmann ex LMS BG in crimson and cream.

C 44      Bachmann ex LMS BG in BR maroon.                          ALL RESERVED PENDING PAYMENT

C 45      Bachmann ex LMS BG in BR maroon.

C 46      Dapol stove R in BR maroon.

C 47      Lima syphon. Please see photos below, as I don't know a G from an H!

various%20Siphons.jpg

C 48      Mainline syphon

C 49     Hornby CCT

C 50     Hornby CCT.

C 51     Hornby CCT.                            ALL RESERVED PENDING PAYMENT

C 52     Ratio Southern Bogie Van

C 53    The Marc Models BZ.  SOLD.

C 54    K's bogie syphon

C 55    Ratio Southern 4 wheel van in maroon.

C 56    Ratio Southern 4 wheel van in green.

post-1-0-16979500-1409899475_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-91551400-1409899481_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-68547400-1409899485_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-15121600-1409899487_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-66274400-1409899532_thumb.jpg

Edited by great northern
  • Like 1

4. Class J50 0.6.0T  Tony and I aren't sure about the provenance of this one. Dave built it, and it is on a Comet chassis, but we aren't sure of the name of the kit manufacturer. it certainly isn't a Lima body, it is metal.

According to the caption in the article in MR142, the J50 (68934 I'm assuming) is an old Connoisseur Models kit

• RMweb Premium

Good luck Great Northern. It must be a heart breaking task, but much better the way you are doing it than simply getting a dealer in or ebay. At least this way some of Daves models will live on with people that can appreciate them .

Hats off to you!

Sorry to hear of your sad task. I noticed at the Warley Show that they run a stand for disposals of stock in circumstances such as you are dealing with. It's another avenue if you need it, but let's hope people rally around.  

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear of your sad task. I noticed at the Warley Show that they run a stand for disposals of stock in circumstances such as you are dealing with. It's another avenue if you need it, but let's hope people rally around.  

Warley is certainly in our minds. If there is still a significant amount left to be sold after Peterborough show, then we will be contacting them and asking for some space.

I know it may end up being more trouble than it's worth, but my modelling interests are nowhere near the area nor time period of Tetleys Mills so much of the stock and buildings are probably way out of place on anything I might create (standard of modelling aside, of course).

However, something small and otherwise insignificant layout-wise such as a tree or a shed, would no doubt find a place on most people's layouts in exchange for a suitable donation to the cause, just to "have a bit of Dave" on their layout.

Might this be something that would ever be considered after the "big stuff" is sorted?

Unfortunately living 'down south' as I do, Peterborough is not terribly convenient and Warley is a non-starter for me.  Would postage be an option?

:good_mini: :good_mini: :good_mini: :good_mini: :good_mini:

Good idea - just remember that small items such as trees are a nightmare to post anywhere without significant packing to reduce damage. These would be better offered only at shows or secondhand meets.

• RMweb Premium

I know it may end up being more trouble than it's worth, but my modelling interests are nowhere near the area nor time period of Tetleys Mills so much of the stock and buildings are probably way out of place on anything I might create (standard of modelling aside, of course).

However, something small and otherwise insignificant layout-wise such as a tree or a shed, would no doubt find a place on most people's layouts in exchange for a suitable donation to the cause, just to "have a bit of Dave" on their layout.

Might this be something that would ever be considered after the "big stuff" is sorted?

Unfortunately living 'down south' as I do, Peterborough is not terribly convenient and Warley is a non-starter for me.  Would postage be an option?

Everything must go, as they say, so eventually we will get down to going through all the boxes that haven't been opened yet, and their contents will then be put on the thread. There is a lot of stuff still to consider, and I reckon there may be things that people who don't model Dave's time period or location might nevertheless find of interest. I've seen a very nice model of one of those thingies that were used to enhance the braking power of diesels for example - senior moment here, I've forgotten the correct term. To give one more example, there is a box of colour light signals.

As to posting things, yes I will consider that if it is clearly impossible for someone to pick them up because of distance or other reasons. As Artizen says in the post below yours though, I may have to draw the line at things which would cost more in time and money than they are worth, as I'm sure you will understand.

This is all so sad, it's a shame Dave wasn't able to complete the new layout so it could have been preserved in total, perhaps at the new national model railway museum when it gets built. We all could have admired his genius first hand as a result.

Would it be possible to place the new buildings that he had finished in the museum rather than risk someone selling them on at a profit?

I would gladly make a contribution to charity so the models could be kept in the public domain

Steve

• Like 3

Dave's work was an inspiration to me coming back into modelling after many years away....as another modeller of 'West Riding Industrial grot' I'd be honoured if I could incorporate one of his buildings into 'Grime Street' as a personal tribute to 'the master' even though it is tinged completely with sadness.

I'll be at the Ricoh with 'Grime Street' so hopefully I may get chance to speak to you.

• Like 1

Finally, there are two parts of the new layout which Dave managed to do even while he was ill. These will be carefully cut out, and offered for sale, either for someone who could incorporate them into a layout, or just as diaramas to be cherished and admired. It is frankly heartbreaking to look at these, and realise just how wonderful this new layout would have been. We hope to have these on display at Coventry the week after next, but photos will be on here first. I will most definitely be seeking written undertakings that these will not be sold on for profit, and we would not hesitate to name and shame anyone who broke such an undertaking. You will gather that I feel strongly about this.

Could the parts of the layout that you mention not be used by the RMWeb community in a Black Country Blues type layout or something similar with as someone else suggested a communal donation to the charity.

For example could the boards possibly be used as a centre piece for the modular group that is just getting off the ground where anyone and everyone would be able to create their own module which could attach to Daves masterpiece? I didn't know Dave at all apart from through the pictures in magazines so not sure if this would appeal to him or not and I'm not sure how big they are to fit in with the module principal or whether all of this would appeal to the community but I'm sure other options of this type could be explored to keep them within the community rather than the parts of the layout going to one home where they may never be seen again.

Just some thoughts.

Steve

• Like 3

. I've seen a very nice model of one of those thingies that were used to enhance the braking power of diesels for example - senior moment here, I've forgotten the correct term.

Brake tender :)

http://www.rvp-ltd.org.uk/projectx/

As to posting things, yes I will consider that if it is clearly impossible for someone to pick them up because of distance or other reasons. As Artizen says in the post below yours though, I may have to draw the line at things which would cost more in time and money than they are worth, as I'm sure you will understand.

Hopefully there will be ways round it - presumably you'd be charging P&P on top of "the value of items" so that the full amount goes to Cancer Research and the post office just get their costs?

Edited by cromptonnut
  • Like 2

Fully support the activities, the sentiments, the caveats and Ideas 1 & 2.  

Regarding wagons, bunches of fives could be good - thirty quid's worth for a good cause, say - for Bachmann fare.  I deal in block trains' worth, so ten would also suit.  

• Like 1

A thought for those who are in the wrong place to get to the relevant shoes - could items for members in roughly the same area be sent out in bulk to save on the processing time? Obviously it'll be time consuming to organise who gangs up for a stash, so that would be up to the buyers to arrange.

Oops, shoes = shows!

Gilbert,

I think we should thank you and Tony for your efforts,but also Julie for such a generous contribution to Cancer Research.A collection such as Dave's is obviously worth a large sum of money and to donate that to such a worthwhile charity is a wonderful gesture.I think its also a wonderful tribute to the man himself. R.I.P. Dave.

• Like 1

A thought for those who are in the wrong place to get to the relevant shoes - could items for members in roughly the same area be sent out in bulk to save on the processing time? Obviously it'll be time consuming to organise who gangs up for a stash, so that would be up to the buyers to arrange.

Oops, shoes = shows!

I would be happy to act in that capacity as a package receiver for those in the "SECAG" area (whether you've indicated interest in joining up with us or not).  I work in London, commuting to London Bridge daily and working near Tower Bridge if that helps anyone at all.

• RMweb Premium

This is all so sad, it's a shame Dave wasn't able to complete the new layout so it could have been preserved in total, perhaps at the new national model railway museum when it gets built. We all could have admired his genius first hand as a result.

Would it be possible to place the new buildings that he had finished in the museum rather than risk someone selling them on at a profit?

I would gladly make a contribution to charity so the models could be kept in the public domain

Steve

I've discussed this with Andy, as we agree that it is an attractive proposition. Unfortunately the reality is that this project is at least three years away, and we would not be able to offer a complete layout anyway. Had Tetley's Mills been intact when Dave died, I'm sure someone somewhere would have wanted to give the layout a new home, but one of the saddest aspects of the whole thing is that the old layout is no more, and the new one got no further than building of baseboards and those two lovely dioramas. For that reason, we see no other alternative than to sell items separately.

• RMweb Premium

Brake tender :)

http://www.rvp-ltd.org.uk/projectx/

Hopefully there will be ways round it - presumably you'd be charging P&P on top of "the value of items" so that the full amount goes to Cancer Research and the post office just get their costs?

Ah yes, that name came to me while I was trying to get to sleep!  As to P& P, yes that would be charged to the purchaser, we shall not allow the amount to go to charity to be diluted.

• RMweb Premium

Fully support the activities, the sentiments, the caveats and Ideas 1 & 2.  

Regarding wagons, bunches of fives could be good - thirty quid's worth for a good cause, say - for Bachmann fare.  I deal in block trains' worth, so ten would also suit.  

Many thanks. I want to be as flexible as possible about this, but I must also be pragmatic. I don't want to price things in such a way as to put people off. I'll be back to sorting things out on Friday, and the goods stock is next on my list. I shall put it into packs as you suggest, and I reckon fives would be attractive, but unless folks can pick the parcels up, it won't work, as we just haven't the time or facilities to be sending out large numbers of small packages. Having said that, there is the brilliant idea of central collecting points, for which many thanks, and I'm quite happy to discuss individual needs by way of PM, so if yourself or anyone else wants a larger number, that can be arranged, and posting would then not be so much of a problem.

I would be happy to act in that capacity as a package receiver for those in the "SECAG" area (whether you've indicated interest in joining up with us or not).  I work in London, commuting to London Bridge daily and working near Tower Bridge if that helps anyone at all.

Many thanks. That will be a great help.

• RMweb Premium

Oops, shoes = shows!

Great idea, which will save us loads of time. I am very grateful indeed.

Great Northern, I notice you are in nottingham, I am based in Birmingham and I am happy to help out (and if need be drop things off to people in the Birmingham area) if an extra pair of hands would be useful to you not to mention taking any specific pictures people need.