Tetleys Mills- the sale of the layout and collection.

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Great idea, which will save us loads of time. I am very grateful indeed.

Similarly happy to receive for East London; Harlow area; West Essex as far east as Chelmsford, Basildon etc. - I have a car so could also collect from a mutually agreeable point if anyone's coming South with items for dispersal.  This would mainly have to be during my October break (27/10 - 31/10) but obviously will fit it with whatever's needed as and when if available.

David

Gilbert 

I'd be happy to act as a 'pick up point' for People based in West Sussex/ Surrey/ Hants

Perhaps if you set up a few regional collecting points and build a spreadsheet of who's getting what it would make the whole P&P thing a lot more cost effective?

Peter

Many thanks. I want to be as flexible as possible about this, but I must also be pragmatic. I don't want to price things in such a way as to put people off. I'll be back to sorting things out on Friday, and the goods stock is next on my list. I shall put it into packs as you suggest, and I reckon fives would be attractive, but unless folks can pick the parcels up, it won't work, as we just haven't the time or facilities to be sending out large numbers of small packages. Having said that, there is the brilliant idea of central collecting points, for which many thanks, and I'm quite happy to discuss individual needs by way of PM, so if yourself or anyone else wants a larger number, that can be arranged, and posting would then not be so much of a problem.

Many thanks. That will be a great help.

As I'm based in Derby and drive to work from Brum a couple of times a week, I'll also happily volunteer for West Midlands' distribution.  

As I'm based in Derby and drive to work from Brum a couple of times a week, I'll also happily volunteer for West Midlands' distribution.  

I could pick them up from Nottingham, give them to you in Brum and you can take them to Derby and places near if that helps

• RMweb Premium

I'm based in Peterborough but could, as I work in York, help out with getting any heavy items 'oop north' as they say. My commute is by train so bulky packages are likely to be awkward shall we say. I still have contacts, albeit somewhat remote in time now, in the Nottingham and Bingham areas.

If I shuffle my commute times I can 'stop' in Grantham if needed.

And despite working in N now I'd be interested in contributing in some way or another, OO was my start in the hobby.

I have experience of this and it is a very onerous task and I wish you all the best with it.

Tips?

Keep it as simple as possible and don't be deflected by special requests.

Expect the unexpected by way of expense.

Nothing is sold until you receive payment.

Best wishes.

• Like 3

But the best bit is that Tetley Mills and Dave live on in our hearts.

On the subject of trees, can we also 'plant a (model) tree' for your cause also - buy an imaginary tree and plant it on the layout that never was for Dave? Say £5 per tree?

Whaddya think RMWEB folks?

Best,

Marcus

OK, Mike Bellamy has this one covered - see a couple of massages below this. Remember what Bob Geldof said....

Edited by EHertsGER
  • Like 4

I hope, given the many offers of help already pledged above, that this will offer a little comfort to his family and also that his work will live on but in a working capacity on modeller's layouts

Surely this would be a fitting enough tribute to a widely respected modeller, whom I was fortunate enough to meet

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert

THis is a difficult task you're taking on, but I have a couple of questions

1) How do I send you a PM to say I'd like to bid for/ buyt specific items?

2) How are you pricing things?

Peter

Hi Peter,

I have sent you a PM. You can now reply direct to that.

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of trees, can we also 'plant a (model) tree' for your cause also - buy an imaginary tree and plant it on the layout that never was for Dave? Say £5 per tree?[/font]

Personal donations can be made to the "Just Giving" charity site that Andy has set up - full details are in the Obituary topic here (post #112 on 26 August)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89221-david-tetleys-shakespeare/page-5

Link direct to the "Just Giving" site https://www.justgiving.com/TetleysMills/

Whilst I appreciate that some may have made charitable donations direct to Cancer Research, it is a little disappointing to see that only 16 have responded so far to Andy's appeal . . . . . . .

I've discussed this with Andy, as we agree that it is an attractive proposition. Unfortunately the reality is that this project is at least three years away, and we would not be able to offer a complete layout anyway. Had Tetley's Mills been intact when Dave died, I'm sure someone somewhere would have wanted to give the layout a new home, but one of the saddest aspects of the whole thing is that the old layout is no more, and the new one got no further than building of baseboards and those two lovely dioramas. For that reason, we see no other alternative than to sell items separately.

It really is a shame , a complete layout would have been a modern day equivalent of such iconic layouts as The Madder Valley and Borchester Market, both of which are fortunately still with us and on occasions operated in public.

Good luck in you undoubtedly difficult task.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to all who have offered assistance and advice. It really is very much appreciated. I've spent the last two hours sending PM's to those who have expressed interest in various things, and the response so far has been very encouraging. There are though still quite a lot of things on the current list for which so far I've had no offers, and after Tony and I have explored some more boxes on Friday, more things will be posted. photographs should start to appear shortly too.

It is most inconvenient, but I shall be without e-mail access for most of the next two days, so please bear with me if replies to enquiries are delayed.

• RMweb Premium

Personal donations can be made to the "Just Giving" charity site that Andy has set up - full details are in the Obituary topic here (post #112 on 26 August)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89221-david-tetleys-shakespeare/page-5

Link direct to the "Just Giving" site https://www.justgiving.com/TetleysMills/

Whilst I appreciate that some may have made charitable donations direct to Cancer Research, it is a little disappointing to see that only 16 have responded so far to Andy's appeal . . . . . . .

Apologies Gilbert, I hadn't seen the JustGiving post and missed the link; with several threads going at once it's difficult to keep up...however, that has now been rectified, thank you for the reminder.

David

But the best bit is that Tetley Mills and Dave live on in our hearts.

On the subject of trees, can we also 'plant a (model) tree' for your cause also - buy an imaginary tree and plant it on the layout that never was for Dave? Say £5 per tree?

Whaddya think RMWEB folks?

Such a board could be a fairly simple plain track modular standards module, that could form the centrepiece of the first national RMWeb modular meet (whenever that happens).  Shakespeare Forest, anyone?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to Tony we've been able to add some pictures to the OP, more to follow in due course.

It isn't until you see images of that calibre that those who have only become acquainted with Dave's work via RMweb can truly appreciate the real impact the loss his talent is to the world of railway modelling.