Tetleys Mills- the sale of the layout and collection.

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I've at last got round to sorting out wagons. Sorry for the delay. They are all £5 each, unless otherwise indicated, and will be sold only in amounts of five or more, as it is just not viable to be preparing and sending out parcels containing less than that. So, it will be £25 for five, but with a special offer of 10 for £45. Again, it was not viable to photgraph every one, but I did ask Tony to do one more general shot, and that is attached. The descriptions are basic too, but as Dave kept none of the boxes, that is the best I can do. Here is what I have:-

W 25-33 . 9 unfitted vans, mainly Bachmann. RESERVED

W 52. 1 coke wagon. RESERVED

W 53-55 .3 fish vans - onw white, two blue. RESERVED

W 93-95 .3 five plank ex PO wagons, two empty, one with remains of a load. RESERVED

W 96. 5 plank ex LMS, with load.  RESERVED

W97. 1 BR bauxite 5 plank with small load. RESERVED

W 98-100. 3 Bulk grain wagons,one pristine, the other two with rust patches. RESERVED

W101. 1 Saxa Salt van. Bachmann. RESERVED

W102. 1 van "Ferrocrete." Dapol. RESERVED

W103. 1 tank wagon "United Molasses". Dapol.

W 104. 1 tank wagon "Ronuk". Dapol.

W105.  1 tank wagon "DCL"  Dapol                                 ALL SOLD

W106. 1 tank wagon "Royal Daylight".

W107-9. 3 tank wagons "Esso". Bachmann.

W110-12. W114.W115. 5 Conflat A with load. Bachmann. RESERVED

W113. 1 3 plank wagon with load bauxite. RESERVED

W116. 1 Conflat S with load. Dapol. SOLD

W118. 1 lowfit. bauxite.   RESERVED

W119-121. 3 5 plank wagons fitted with tarpaulined loads. ALL NOW RESERVED

W122. 1 3 plank wagon fitted with tarpaulined load. RESERVED

W123-126. 4 Cattle wagons, built from Airfix kits.  £7 each. RESERVED.

W127. 5 plank wagon kit built but don't know which kit, tarpaulined load. £7. RESERVED

W128. Brake van BR 20 ton. Unfitted. Bachmann. RESERVED

W129. Brake van BR 20 ton fitted, and with electrification flashes. Bachmann. RESERVED

W131  Brake van kit built from Airfix kit. Unfitted. £7. RESERVED

W132  Brake van  kit built from Airfix kit. Fitted.    £7.RESERVED

It would help me if you could quote the catalogue numbers please. Photos below show a few of them. You will see from the gaps in the numbering that some wagons have already been sold, how could I resist an enquiry for 40 plus!, or taken by family members or friends..More photos can be found annexed to Post 84 on the previous page.

post-98-0-49732800-1410600426_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-51347000-1410600449_thumb.jpg

Edited by great northern
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Time for another update, this time to tell you what is still for sale. Not a lot!

All locomotives are sold.

All coaches and NPCCS are sold save for:-

Southern Pride CK

The Comet Thompsons.

Of the items on Page 4 of the thread, I still have :-

The colour light signals

Two buildings. The Dolphin pub, and the Co-op/Bank building.

One final push needed chaps! Oh, and I haven't forgotten those memorabilia boxes, which I shall do next time I'm there.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

May I have the W25 - 33 9 unfitted vans please, the W128/9/31/32 4 Brake Vans & W122 3 plank.

Also the Conflats W110/11/12/14/15

Thank you. No need to package.

I'll have the two Comet Thompsons as well if that's OK?

It would be my pleasure to have a little of Dave's expertise running on the SR (BR)

Phil

OK Phil, all reserved for you pending payment.

• RMweb Premium

Most of the wagons have already gone folks, only 20 left, and I have an offer for 10 of those! When I've sorted that I'll post details of what remains.

I have had an enquiry about the moulds Dave used to make his retaining walls and viaducts, and I have managed to locate three. The offer is £75. As I am asked to make as much as I can for the charity, I feel that I should inform everyone that they are available, and give an opportunity to bid for them. I will leave it for 48 hours, but if I get no higher bid by then they will go to the present bidder.

• RMweb Premium

Well, you've been and gone and done it now. :O  All wagons sold, or reserved pending payment, in just a little over 24 hours!  All buildings gone too, so there is very little left of what I have advertised so far. I'm hoping that on Tuesday we can get things boxed up and where necessary weighed, so that I can tell people who need stuff delivered what the P&P is going to be.

I shall also be working on the memorabilia boxes, into which I propose to put the road vehicles, plus figures, animals etc, and there will be four, at a premium price of course, which will have running in boards included - two Tetley's Mills, one Tetley's Mills Bull Ring, and one Barden Road.

I shall then be left with baseboards, track and points, and a lot of trees! I was intending to put those( the trees), on the stall at Peterborough, but of course there won't be one now, as it would be rather bare.  These are things then where I really have to say buyer collects, with apologies to those who can't. So far as timber is concerned, there is no alternative, but I suppose we could arrange pick ups at Peterborough or Warley for track and trees.

Please contact me by PM if you would like more details of any of the above.

• Like 1

But, many thanks for appreciating the pictures.

Tony. 

I showed the pictures to the members of our area group (Cumbrian Region AG of the Scalefour Society) and they were very impressed; but they strongly warned me from attempting to acquire the models. Instead they said I should use them as inspirations for my own modelling and I think they are correct. The photos are as good and as atmospheric as Colin Gifford's in "Each a Glimpse" - my favourite album of railway photos - so I'll keep them in mind while planning the new Bradford North Western branch in my new house.

I do hope the dioramas and buildings find a good home where they will be appreciated and cared for. It's great that all the rolling stock is being snapped up and you are making so much for a good cause.

Ian

• Like 1

I showed the pictures to the members of our area group (Cumbrian Region AG of the Scalefour Society) and they were very impressed; but they strongly warned me from attempting to acquire the models. Instead they said I should use them as inspirations for my own modelling and I think they are correct. The photos are as good and as atmospheric as Colin Gifford's in "Each a Glimpse" - my favourite album of railway photos - so I'll keep them in mind while planning the new Bradford North Western branch in my new house.

I do hope the dioramas and buildings find a good home where they will be appreciated and cared for. It's great that all the rolling stock is being snapped up and you are making so much for a good cause.

Ian

Many thanks Ian.

As for the 'you' in your last statement, it could imply a singular credit. That being the case, it belongs to Gilbert, for he's done all the work. I'm just the 'happy snapper'. 

And, his assistant packer on Tuesday. 

• RMweb Premium

Another long day at Ancaster yesterday, but the end is now in sight. Andy Y had a huge backlog to catch up on after Coventry, so couldn't make it, but Mallard 60022 ( Phil Ramsay) stepped in, and did a great job. He was unwise enough to reveal a talent for packing early on, and so got lumbered with the lot. Tony spent hours wrapping individual wagons and other stuff, I did the clerical side, and between us we got nearly all the parcels done.

I've tried to update everyone who is waiting for parcels through the post, my apologies if I've missed anyone. We hope to be down there again week commencing 29th, finish off the rest, and get the arrangements made with a courier firm. The packages for those who have said they will collect at Peterborough or Warley are also done, and will be available from the BRM stand at those events.

Right, now for the remaining items which are available. A lot of track went yesterday, which is a relief, as it would be hard to post, but I still have the following:-

One box of new and unused Peco Code 100, timber sleepered. RESERVED

Code 75 Peco electrofrog points as below:-

3 RH medium radius, in very good condition.

1 short crossing, new.

2 LH, small radius

6 LH medium radius.        ALL OF THESE RESERVED

7 RH medium radius

5 RH large radius

2 LH large radius

3 double slips.

Apart from the very good or new ones, these are all used, some with ballast clinging to sleepers, and remains of soldered wires. We have binned those which we can be sure do not work, but we can not check the rest, so they are sold on the basis that we cannot guarantee their condition, or that they will work without some attention at least. I'm happy to post points, but not in ones and twos please, but such are the restrictions imposed by couriers now, the track will have to be collected either by appointment from me or at Ancaster, or at an exhibition.

There is also about 60 yards of used Code 100 track. I'd prefer to give that away to young modellers, so if you are one, Please send me a PM.

Right, I thought the end was nigh, but then we opened another little box.....

13 Peco point motors, all with adapters fitted. Used. RESERVED

40 Seep point motors, a mixture of switched and plain. Used. RESERVED

59 on/off switches, single pole single throw. Used.

2  DPDT switches. Used.

Same caveats apply as for points. Sold as seen, with no guarantee that they work. Please make me an offer - I shall obviously take into account the terms of sale when considering it, and I shall give discounts for bulk purchases.

Now we come to the eagerly anticipated, :jester:  Memorabilia packs. Remember what I said earlier, a shameless attempt to get more of your money for the charity, but also an opportunity to have a few little bits of Tetley's Mills to remind you of Dave. So, whether you have already bought some of the larger items or not, or if you really couldn't afford or lost out on those, what will be a last chance to have a small part of a great layout.

Pack 1 contains-

Tetley's Mills double sided running in board.

Bicycle shed.

A water crane.

Classix BR van

Base Toys double decker bus, destination Bradford.          RESERVED

Classix Ford Zephyr? Police car.

Kit built Rover car.

Pack 2 contains:-

Grounded van body.

Classix BR flat back lorry with tarpaulined load.                     RESERVED

Leeds City transport double decker bus.

EFE MGB roadster- I'm told this is "sought after".

Mini Cooper.

Pack 3 contains.

Yard crane.

BR lorry with trailer and container load.                      RESERVED

Yorkshire traction single decker bus.

VW beetle

Bedford Royal Mail van.

Pack 4 contains:-

Barden Road running in board attached to fence.

Yard hut

Fire devil

BR Bedford 08 coach.                                                      RESERVED

Days gone modified single decker bus.

Land Rover, made of plaster!

Scamell scarab with load.

Pack 5 contains:-

2 x Tetley's Bull Ring station lamps with "hot dog" signs

Yard hut

BR truck (tipper)

BRS large van in green                                          SOLD

Classix Austin A40 taxi.

Scamell scarab with load.

Pack 6 contains:-

1 Tetley's Bull ring lamp with "hot dog" sign

4 station platform lamps

Gent's urinal, with occupant!!!                                  SOLD

Kit built Scarab scammel with load

EFE Fyffes lorry

BRS Scamell scarab in green with trailer

Cast metal little red van.

Please don't ask me to swop the contents around - you don't want to see a grown man cry. Descriptions are as good as TW and I could manage, the provenance of some of these could not be established. Remember it is a bit of fun, but if you look out your cherished back issues of magazines featuring the various incarnations of Tetley's Mills and Barden Road, you will find all of these things there. I included a bus in each one till I ran out, as you really do need one to put on that bridge, don't you? :jester:

Please make me an offer, highest bidder wins.

Edited by great northern
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

May I just say a huge thank you to Gilbert, Tony and Andy.

They have done a great job and the reason I want to say this is that, despite how professional I am sure some 'dealers' are, the way this 'sale and auction' has been arranged has:

ensured that great models remain in use;

a charity that needs all of our support will benefit a good deal;

some younger modellers are receiving some inspirational items;

Dave's family do not have the daunting task of sorting through that baffling collection of railway related items ( that most of us have tucked away don't we......?)

There is more to do, but as Gilbert would say...." Dave would want that to be used.............".

Thanks lads and bless you Shaky.

Phil

• Like 3

May I just say a huge thank you to Gilbert, Tony and Andy.

Gilbert's borne the heaviest load through this with the constant communications and logging anything and everything; an absolute star. We were talking this morning and it's hard to believe how much he and the generous buyers have achieved in a little over a fortnight.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Gilbert's borne the heaviest load through this with the constant communications and logging anything and everything; an absolute star. We were talking this morning and it's hard to believe how much he and the generous buyers have achieved in a little over a fortnight.

May I add to that, please, a comment that - notwithstanding it being in such sad circumstances for him - it has been a pleasure to deal with Gilbert's professional and ever helpful approach to this sale and especially the way he has kept in touch where items have been the subject of competitive bidding.  He and Julie deserve our warmest thanks for undertaking the sad task and we must not forget his helpers who apart from names mentioned above also - to my knowledge - include Ben Jones.

• Like 4

May I add to that, please, a comment that - notwithstanding it being in such sad circumstances for him - it has been a pleasure to deal with Gilbert's professional and ever helpful approach to this sale and especially the way he has kept in touch where items have been the subject of competitive bidding. He and Julie deserve our warmest thanks for undertaking the sad task and we must not forget his helpers who apart from names mentioned above also - to my knowledge - include Ben Jones.

Amen to that!

Adding to the comments above, I can say wholeheartedly that dealing with Gilbert has been excellent.

As others have mentioned, it truly is in the worst circumstances that this has come about, but Gilbert and Co. have certainly made sure those of us that saw something of Dave's excellent modelling have now gotten a part to save. Being overseas, this was always going to be difficult with time zone differences (such as waking up to see nearly all the wagons had sold overnight!), but Gilbert has pulled it all off excellently, with nary an error (;)).

I feel a thread along the lines of 'Tetleys Mills-where are they now?' might be a good way to see the new homes of everything that has lovingly been saved not just for the nation, but for the whole modelling world.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Good morning.

After the sadness of the last few weeks I hope no one will object to what follows?

I have taken one of TW's lovely pics of T.Mills & hacked the sides off  in a small tribute to Dave's dry and wry sense of humour.

A little light after far too much gloom in the model railway world.post-2326-0-86320100-1411286885.jpg

Believe it or not, I had not noticed this until this morning.

Thank you all,

Phil @ 36E

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Good morning.

After the sadness of the last few weeks I hope no one will object to what follows?

I have taken one of TW's lovely pics of T.Mills & hacked the sides off  in a small tribute to Dave's dry and wry sense of humour.

A little light after far too much gloom in the model railway world.attachicon.gifBullock and Cowes.jpg

Believe it or not, I had not noticed this until this morning.

Thank you all,

Phil @ 36E

Thanks Phil,

I hadn't realised that Dave had re-used this building either. The premises of Messrs "U.Pullit" and "I.Flush", haven't shown up as well, have they? :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Time for another update. You continue to support us magnificently. All of the memorabilia boxes are sold or reserved, well done to the two junior modellers who made generous offers for these, and to other purchasers who gave more than my suggested going rate.  I now have £ 2500+ in the dedicated account I have set up to hold all the donations, plus another nearly £ 500 in cheques awaiting clearing. Items awaiting payment, mainly because I can't give the buyers precise sums for P&P yet, amount to a further £ 1800 at least, so we shall be only a couple of hundred pounds short of £ 5000, on what has been paid or pledged so far. I had hoped for that magic £ 5000, but with no real expectation of getting there, so that really is a wonderful result.

We can still go further though, folks, as I still have a few things to dispose of. The three Comet Thompson non corridor coaches have not sold at my guide price of £100 each, so I shall now invite offers. When submitting them though, please bear in mind that if you wished to build these today, you would pay £132.50 just for the kits! Dave built these very carefully and lovingly, even putting the hinges on, with much muttering and cussing, it has to be said, so I'd like to see them go for a price that reflected that care and effort on his part.

I have also forgotten, until now, to mention that towards the end Dave "saw the light", in the sense that he decided that DCC was the way to go when building Tetley's Mills 4. So, there is a box containing NCE kit to dispose of as well. I can remember exactly where it is, though not exactly what is in it. :senile: I am sure though that there is a Powerpro and a Powercab. at the least. Please notify me if you are interested, and I will then send you full details when I am next at Ancaster, which will be some time w/c 29th September.

The other element which remains outstanding is the disposal of the baseboards. I'm particularly keen to resolve this, as the main aim of this whole exercise is to leave Julie with an empty room, to use as she thinks fit, and those baseboards are, literally, a major obstacle to acheiving that aim. Dave built to last, using top quality materials this time, so we have basebords already completed, and topped with 9mm birch ply and cork. Dave's son Darren will split them into manageable sections, and they really will present an opportunity for anyone contemplating the building of a new layout. So, if you may be able to use some of them, or know perhaps of a club that might be interested in such a windfall, please let me know. Posting would cost a fortune I imagine, so collection would probably be the only option, but there must be someone out there who would get sufficient benefit to make that worthwhile.

Once more many thanks for your generosity so far, but let's go for complete success, shall we?

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Good Afternoon all,

All parcels have now been completed, and all UK ones are with Hermes for delivery. Many thanks to Andy Y for taking that task on board, and with complete success. I wish I could say the same about my efforts to get the Australian ones on their way, but as Andy has offered to have a go at that too, hopefully it will soon be sorted. Hopefully also I have sent a PM to everyone who is waiting for a parcel......unless you know different of course, in which case please remind me.

Wednesday saw the last  clear up, and the dismantling of more of the baseboards. All should now be down, and in manageable pieces. If interested, please send me a PM, as Julie is happy for people to go and see what there is, by prior appointmant of course. While conducting that last clear up though, one or two more things came to light. I intend to offer them in exactly the same way as before. Bids to come to me by PM, and I will give all a chance to continue bidding until only one is left.

So, first we have some DCC equipment, an NCE Powercab, and a very good suitable transformer. I've tested the Powercab, which works OK. The transformer is very heavy, and postage would be steep, so it is more suited to those who could collect from me, or at Peterborough or Warley.

post-98-0-50372600-1412337543_thumb.jpg                                                          SOLD

Next we have one of those static grass applicator thingies. Dave has acquired this from abroad, as there is a bill in Euros. There is nothing I can find though to give a clue to the identity of the manufacturer. It will be sold as seen, complete with instructions, which were clearly written by someone whose knowledge of English is slightly less than perfect.

post-98-0-12265200-1412337763_thumb.jpg

I'm on much more solid ground with the next one - a Badger 150 airbrush, in its original case.

post-98-0-86943200-1412337879_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-52139000-1412337901_thumb.jpg

Finally, one of the very few disappointments we have encountered. Our hopes of getting the two dioramas put on permanent display have not borne fruit, so I now offer them here. The photos are further back on the thread, and these two dioramas really do show Dave at the peak of his powers. The larger one is really only suited to be incorporated into a northern industrial layout, but the smaller one, which in my opinion is exquisite, could be slotted into any rural setting. Or, of course, you could just have one of them to look at, and to be reminded of a great modeller.

Again, these will be sold by auction through me. The auction will cease before the Peterborough show, where they will be on display, but it must be made clear that the successful bidder will have to collect them from Peterborough, or arrange for collection to take place, before the end of the show. There is no way we can deliver these I'm afraid.

Edited by great northern

Again, these will be sold by auction through me. The auction will cease before the Peterborough show, where they will be on display, but it must be made clear that the successful bidder will have to collect them from Peterborough, or arrange for collection to take place, before the end of the show. There is no way we can deliver these I'm afraid.

A sterling job as ever Gilbert; you're doing Dave and Julie proud.

On the subject of the 'dioramas' I think it relevant and fair to mention that anyone who wishes to collect one will need to make sure they've got the right transport; sufficient, in the case of the larger board, to accommodate 52" of length and 42" of width through the opening due to its curving shape so a large hatch, estate or van will be necessary and it's very definitely a two-person lift. The slightly smaller one will need about 40" x 30" loading space but should be manageable in an average hatch.