BRM Guide to... Trackplans & Layout Design

SteveCole

• RMweb Gold

Unlike some plans books, at least with this one you know they can be built - because someone has already done it!

No optimistic pencils here.

I understand that completely.

I've just put my initial thoughts down for those that might be looking for, as I say something like the Peco Setrack plans book, which incidently can all be made  without the use of optimistic pencils. ;)

It was also to reply to sammyboy's post which did ask the specific question of are they new plans or just from previous issues of BRM.

Cheers

Ian

I Bought this on Saturday at the RMWeb live show.  Usually I have everything digitally but these kinds of MagBooks I get on paper as they are well worth keeping IMHO.

My thoughts are:

Good clear diagrams

Good explanations of the various features

The +ve's and -ve's for each layout start out nice and clear but seemed to degenerate somewhere along the line.  A continuous run layout had a -ve of 'not much shunting' where an end2end was -ve because you couldn't run long trains round and round.  In the end the -ve's could have been summed up with a simple comparison list of the various layout styles.

Despite this, I like the magbook and am happy with it.

• RMweb Gold

For what it sets out to do I think it is rather good - nice, colourful, presentation and showing layouts that already exist has the big advantage of proving that they work with the _/+ elements of the design presented in the little box.  So in most respects it is better than many previous attempts at producing books of track/layout plans - very similar to an approach a certain US publisher has used for many years and no bad thing for that.

But while accepting that it is about model railways I do think it might have been helpful if it had contained a bit more drawn from the prototype in terms - if nothing else - of some simple do's and don'ts such as pointing out you can only sensibly shunt sidings if they trail into a running line and possibly a bit about using track layouts to help set period and place (the 'country junction' on page 53 is a bit odd in that respect ;) ).  

But perhaps this is something which could be tackled in future editions because while the book in itself is good it could have, like 'Model Railroader's example in thsi field, the 'legs' and flexibility to turn it into something which runs to a new edition every couple of years or so.

• RMweb Gold

For what it sets out to do I think it is rather good - nice, colourful, presentation and showing layouts that already exist has the big advantage of proving that they work with the _/+ elements of the design presented in the little box.  So in most respects it is better than many previous attempts at producing books of track/layout plans - very similar to an approach a certain US publisher has used for many years and no bad thing for that.

But while accepting that it is about model railways I do think it might have been helpful if it had contained a bit more drawn from the prototype in terms - if nothing else - of some simple do's and don'ts such as pointing out you can only sensibly shunt sidings if they trail into a running line and possibly a bit about using track layouts to help set period and place (the 'country junction' on page 53 is a bit odd in that respect ;) ).  

But perhaps this is something which could be tackled in future editions because while the book in itself is good it could have, like 'Model Railroader's example in thsi field, the 'legs' and flexibility to turn it into something which runs to a new edition every couple of years or so.

I think that is the strength of the OPC "Historical Survey...." series, although they did not manage it as well as they could have done. I can definitely see a niche for a series of books that take, perhaps, 20 stations (so perfect-bound 96pp paperback size) that are suitable to model and show how they can be adapted to a suitable layout in the home, probably with variants for 4mm and 2mm scales.

CJ Freezer did a great series like this on Exeter Central with three variants. And recent RM has a good plan based on Mortehoe although it could have shown the layout in a room setting (i.e. with the approaches curved round to the hidden loops). 

• Administrators

I've looked in the Swindon smith's twice, the cirencester and cheltenham stores and Cheltenham model center and still can't find a copy, are they out yet?

Hi,

I'm told the Cirencester store should have copies. Yes, copies are now in stores.

Or, you can buy direct from us with free p&p: https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Store/1213-26/Books/BRM_Guide_to_Trackplans__Layouts_-_First_Edition/

Steve

Managed to pick mine up by Smiffs in Ipswich, although it was well hidden behind numerous other titles.

The plans and photos are nice and have a good mix but I do find some of the pros and cons comments rather strange. A lot of them are the negatives about the actual layout the plan its taken from and not the plan itself. For example some have issues about wiring leading to limited operational appeal. Overall though it has given me some food for thought and surely that is what these books are meant for. Being rather cheaper than some plan books then its definitely worthy of being added to your library. 

• RMweb Premium

Good luck. I am told that the Swindon store does stock the book.

I had another look but it's like a needle in a haystack checked the mag isle, I looked in the book section and the stands around the tills, but there was nothing so I ordered one off the link you gave me instead, alot easier. Thanks.

Jimmy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hi all,

We have now sold out of this book - thank you to everyone for your support!

It's still for-sale in the WHSmiths stores listed on page 1 of this topic. It's also stocked by a number of model shops. If you're after a copy I would recommend you try calling some of the retailers who advertise in the pages of BRM. I also know of 1 or 2 retailers who are taking stock to this weekend's Peterborough Show.

If you're still struggling to get a copy, please PM me and I'll gladly put you in touch with some stockists.

Thanks,

Steve

• Administrators

Managed to get my lovely wife to pick one up from WHSmiths in Norwich today, just got to complete a 12hr night shift until I can get a look.

A brilliant opportunity to do some more planning without actually achieving anything physical!

Nik

Great news Nik. I have seen plenty of copies still for-sale in various WHSmiths stores plus I know a number of leading model shops still have stock. If anyone is struggling to get a copy, please PM me and I'll give you a list of model shops I know have stock.

Or, you can download the Digital Edition version for just £3.99: www.pocketmags.com/BRM

Steve

• RMweb Premium

I hope you sent a copy of the bookzine to the owners of the layouts featured? I know one layout where the owners didn't know anything about its inclusion until someone showed them the bookzine.

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Great news Nik. I have seen plenty of copies still for-sale in various WHSmiths stores plus I know a number of leading model shops still have stock. If anyone is struggling to get a copy, please PM me and I'll give you a list of model shops I know have stock.

Or, you can download the Digital Edition version for just £3.99: www.pocketmags.com/BRM

Steve

I have purchased the digital version, how do I download it to my PC?  

I only seem to be able to view it with silverlight  Reader on the pocketmags web site or print it out one page at a time!

• 9 months later...

Archived