Heljan GWR 1366 0-6-0 Pannier Tank

Ozexpatriate

Hi,

I have brought one of the 1366 Pannier Tanks no: 1369 a few weeks ago but it has one of the handrails and handrail knob missing but i don't won't to send the model back as everything else is perfect so i was just wondering if someone got any ideas/advice on what to do?

Thanks,

Samuel

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I have brought one of the 1366 Pannier Tanks no: 1369 a few weeks ago but it has one of the handrails and handrail knob missing but i don't won't to send the model back as everything else is perfect so i was just wondering if someone got any ideas/advice on what to do?

Thanks,

Samuel

Samuel, best thing to do is contact Heljan direct using Heljan@Heljan.dk as they are very helpful.  (If you haven't already after nearly five months)

Hi,

Thanks,

Samuel

In  a  case  like  this  it  is  probably  best  if  you  return  the  loco immediately  to  the  retailer  and  ask, for  refund   or  replacement  and  refund  of  your  return post  costs.  I would  also  point  out  Howes  of  Oxford  are  the  UK  agents  for  Heljan  and  handle  spares  etc,  they should be  able  to  advise  if the  missing  parts  are  actually  available

• 4 weeks later...

Samuel, best thing to do is contact Heljan direct using Heljan@Heljan.dk as they are very helpful.  (If you haven't already after nearly five months)

I did contact them but basically told me to send back to where I had brought it from.

Samuel.

In  a  case  like  this  it  is  probably  best  if  you  return  the  loco immediately  to  the  retailer  and  ask, for  refund   or  replacement  and  refund  of  your  return post  costs.  I would  also  point  out  Howes  of  Oxford  are  the  UK  agents  for  Heljan  and  handle  spares  etc,  they should be  able  to  advise  if the  missing  parts  are  actually  available

In the end i found another fault so i returned and replaced the locomotive with the place i brought it from.

Samuel.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A bit late to the party on this one. I’ve been trying not to buy one as it doesn’t fit my layout, but I love it’s diminutive size, as well as reminding me of times in my youth traveling in the cab of 1369 on the SDR. So here’s a video of mine running briefly on the rolling road.

Lets see how long 1367 lasts before she’s gets renumbered!

Edited by Captainalbino
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/04/2019 at 18:11, toboldlygo said:

Aside from removing the cab and keeper plate, has any one succeeded in getting the rest of the loco apart?

Yep, I fully dismantled mine in order to fit with sound, flickering firebox and a stay alive

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I have been playing 'catch up' and have bought a second hand 1368 (BR Late Crest).

Out of the box I was most impressed but it was immediately obvious that one of the pipes below the buffer beam had something broken off it.

Howes still have spare parts for the model so the required sprue was obtained (thank you Mike) and the model fettled.

Thank you 'Members' on RMweb for all the excellent pictures that have been posted showing what should have been.  The broken item was No.49 'steam pipe'.  This comes in two parts which require to be glued together and fitted to the model.  I was lucky in that the broken steam pipe pulled out of the metal buffer beam cleanly using a pair of pliers.  I used a piece of 'BlueTack' to hold the new parts in place whilst the glue (Super Glue) set.

49078212253_733cb28cb0_6k.jpg

'Fettled'and 'As Received'

49078212223_7bfe2d19d0_5k.jpg

Heljan 1366 - Spares Sprue, Part No.49 circled in white

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

Are the recent batches figured out?   Still smarting of touch-&-go quality?

I don't know if mine were recently made or not, but they seem to be OK - nothing wonky or missing, no glue marks or bad painting.  They run OK, both slow and fast in both directions (much faster than needed...). I had them tested on the Warley club test track at the show, and they have since been thoroughly run in at home. So far, so good...

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 27/11/2019 at 20:29, AlfaZagato said:

Are the recent batches figured out?   Still smarting of touch-&-go quality?

I bought 1369 from Rails about three weeks ago as they had it reduced to £89.50. Received it with both steam heat pipes detached, no biggy managed to glue them back on. Ran the loco in on my rolling road, no issues so far. went to check the keeper plate and just apply some oil to the axles and con rods and my god, what a mess! Pickups were covered in grease, the screws way to tight as i noticed the axles could barely move from side to side so i cleaned this up and refitted the screws properly. Back to the track, then noticed some flakes of green paint on my fingers, the paint started coming away from the whistle shield, which then broke off from the body... list starts getting worse. Fixed this back on with more of the paint now starting to flake off. Finally get round to taking it for a spin, stutters over the points, (which I had just cleaned), checked the pickups all good, wheels are clean. Left it to run for a little longer, and noticed a minor clicking noise start to emit from the mechanism, didn't think anything of it, then crunch, gear has gone and its limping down the track. Couldn't figure out for the life of me how to get the body off other than the cab to investigate. Returned and refunded, shame and a waste because it was such a good looking loco but just seemed over-engineered and overpriced like some of the DJ models locos. 

Edited by GWR AZZO
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have just purchased one of these & wondered if I might ask other members who own one a question. 

The side play on the axles is very tight in that if I move it to one side itll stay there. Are all models like this or should i be concerned & return it? 

It's a lovely model,I'm just concerned about that as I would imagine that the sideplay should be free to move.

Edited by Unit basher

1 hour ago, Unit basher said:

....The side play on the axles is very tight in that if I move it to one side itll stay there. Are all models like this or should i be concerned & return it? ....

Hello UB Yes - you are correct it is tight and doesn't spring back.  Should you worry?  Does it run OK?  Mine does!

Cheers Ray

• Like 1

I purchased a 1361 and 1366 (same chassis).  On my class 1361 the axles were easily able to move laterally with excessive sideplay on the forward axle leading to the crosshead binding on the connecting rod mount bolt causing the drive to seize.  The loco would also simply grind its gears when reverse was attempted.  To loosen the axle tension then the mount screws on the underside need to be loosened.  I believe that there are two mount plates retaining the axles so simply loosening the visible screws on the outer plate may not release the axle friction.  While my 1366 ran perfectly,   the 1361 was a complete dog of a locomotive and was returned, hopefully for a replacement.  As it has taken over five weeks to return the loco due postage restrictions I am not confident the store will have a replacement loco and I will be almost $50.00 out of pocket for postage costs if just offered a refund on the purchase.   Would I buy another - NO!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

Gwr fan I've just had a look at it & as stated loosened the keeper plates. The inner one was the culprit & has loosened everything up. 

When I first put it on test it was almost like the wheels were out of quarter with a tight spot. It's slow speed capabilities were also dire. Having loosened up the keeper plate it's now a very nice loco. I'm going to run it in this evening to make sure it's fine but it should be a nice addition to the fleet. 

Thanks for the info 

• Like 1