Hornby king

B15nac

I do not - and will not - own this model, but based on what I have seen of this style of construction also employed by Hornby on the J15 and D16/3, there should be a simplefix.

As already mentioned the vsisible step is the side of the casting forming the boiler underside and motor cradle. Just such a step was present on my J15. By carefully skimming about 0.5 mm off the two 'landings' on the block where matching surfaces in the body make contact, the mechanism went fully 'home' into the body and the step thereby 'disappeared'. On the D16/3 no such step was visible, the mechanism seated perfectly in the body.

Thsi suggests to me that the design intent is such that there is space for the mechanism to go fully home inside the body, resulting in the desired smooth profile. It is probably small manufacturing variations that leave some mechanisms unable to do so, but a little user adjustment to the contacting surfaces will rectify. I know that some are leery of such things, but when the fundamentals are good it is worth going the extra step to ice the cake. 

There is a substantial metal area, which is presumably for weight, extending from the motor forwards almost to the smokebox, and upwards well into the top of the boiler. On my sample the fit is pretty good but if you wanted to adjust it, you would have to take material out of the body as the metal chassis would be impossible to alter without access to machine tools and the appropriate skills. (CJL)

Having received the Locomotion KGV yesterday I entirely support that point of view. It's not noticeable. It doesn't bother me. I wasn't going to be in the market for another Hornby King but I have a weakness for BR blue (It's his age you know,poor fellow) and I do like what I see.However....I don't want the sound chip .I am DC analogue and don't want to pay for something I can't use....

I too was attracted to the sound-removed blue 6021 early BR King and have bought one from Rails.

I think the single chimney with the running-plate lubricator box behind the steam pipes is the nicest look, but that is subjective, never having been much of a fan of the BR blue experimental era..  it suits the King, and perhaps the A3 and maybe at a stretch the A4. What a pity there are no accurate photos of these engines in running condition around 1949-52, the 'Big Four in Colour' being a guide at best.  I was born in 1950 so qualify as 'one who was there'  :)

From what I've seen of current Hornby production, Crosti 9F, various S15s, the standard of the plastic moudlings and overall finish and texture is, dare I say it, better than ever, and the Kings do look lovely in photos, I enhanced the Rails blue 6021 with shock horror steam and smoke.... 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82970-hornbys-best-ever-models/page-25&do=findComment&comment=2095587

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It was not experimental in its day. The most powerful express locos between c 1950 and 1952/3 had this livery . On the LMR ,the Princess Royals and Duchesses were thus adorned. On the ER ,A1's,some A3's and A4's and B12's. The SR. MN's were blue. Finally on the WR,the Kings,of course. This should not be confused with a variety of experimental liveries given an outing.

• Like 1

Is it just King James I that has the ATC gear missing from the cab?

I see no ATC gear in 6029. If the position is where I think (ahead of the driver's seat, below the side window) it would probably need to be moulded as part of the window glazing and then coloured - with obvious cost implications. (CJL)

It was not experimental in its day. The most powerful express locos between c 1950 and 1952/3 had this livery . On the LMR ,the Princess Royals and Duchesses were thus adorned. On the ER ,A1's,some A3's and A4's and B12's. The SR. MN's were blue. Finally on the WR,the Kings,of course. This should not be confused with a variety of experimental liveries given an outing.

Yes, it was only for 8P- rated locos. I've always assumed that it was patriotically related to the BRITISH in the new railway's title - a blue locomotive with pale cream and red coaches being as close as they dared to red, white and blue. The 'Kings' were the only class where all members were painted blue. (CJL)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it was only for 8P- rated locos. I've always assumed that it was patriotically related to the BRITISH in the new railway's title - a blue locomotive with pale cream and red coaches being as close as they dared to red, white and blue. The 'Kings' were the only class where all members were painted blue. (CJL)

I think not quite 8P.....or was it actually 7P then ?. The B12 certainly wasn't.....and the A3 was no powerhouse in comparison with the A1 ....on a par with WR Castles & LM Scots...which stayed green.There seem on historical reflection to have been some curious anomalies.....even within individual classes of locomotive.....for instance the Duchesses.I think at one point you had a colour choice of black,blue or green .

As a young spotter in the early 1950's,my first A3 ...60066 ..was in blue,as was my first A4....60006. I recall at the same time,blue MN's at Waterloo and Victoria. On a holiday to Colwyn Bay in 1952,blue 46210 "copped" (my first) at Shrewsbury on a North to West train followed in the same week ( Oh,joy ! ) by blue 46240 ..a "semi" on shed at Llandudno Junction.Again a first for me.

But of course,the constantly blue at the time were the Kings. Within a couple of years,Brunswick Green ruled.

I think not quite 8P.....or was it actually 7P then ?. The B12 certainly wasn't.....and the A3 was no powerhouse in comparison with the A1 ....on a par with WR Castles & LM Scots...which stayed green.There seem on historical reflection to have been some curious anomalies.....even within individual classes of locomotive.....for instance the Duchesses.I think at one point you had a colour choice of black,blue or green .

As a young spotter in the early 1950's,my first A3 ...60066 ..was in blue,as was my first A4....60006. I recall at the same time,blue MN's at Waterloo and Victoria. On a holiday to Colwyn Bay in 1952,blue 46210 "copped" (my first) at Shrewsbury on a North to West train followed in the same week ( Oh,joy ! ) by blue 46240 ..a "semi" on shed at Llandudno Junction.Again a first for me.

But of course,the constantly blue at the time were the Kings. Within a couple of years,Brunswick Green ruled.

Yes, certainly some anomalies. Brian Haresnape refers to the lighter blue as being applied to 'top link locomotives' but makes no reference to power rating or classes. Initially, in the livery experiments, a darker, ultramarine blue had been tried on one or two locomotives. One of the senior ex-GWR people (was it Felix Pole?) whose sight was failing, reputedly said that he was happy to be blind so he didn't have to look upon a blue 'King'. (CJL)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I see no ATC gear in 6029. If the position is where I think (ahead of the driver's seat, below the side window) it would probably need to be moulded as part of the window glazing and then coloured - with obvious cost implications. (CJL)

It's prominent inside the cab window on 6000 (see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/100251-locomotion-models-announce-d8000-and-king-george-v-models/page-4), but not there on my 6011 and on those that other people have posted pictures of.

Quite happy to be proved wrong but I've seen no evidence (or even suggestion until now) the B12s ever carried BR Blue, I thought that hornbys blue B12 was completely fictional?

Saw the King in the local shop yesterday, lovely shape and the construction seems to be to a high standard, shame about the green however maybe some gloss varnish will sort that out

• RMweb Premium

Quite happy to be proved wrong but I've seen no evidence (or even suggestion until now) the B12s ever carried BR Blue, I thought that hornbys blue B12 was completely fictional?

Saw the King in the local shop yesterday, lovely shape and the construction seems to be to a high standard, shame about the green however maybe some gloss varnish will sort that out

Yes I'm quite sure it was purely fictional!

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for that,both 31A and WD0-6-0.I stand justifiably corrected. Apologies for spreading false information. Total agreement on Hornby's version of both GWR and BR  "green" however. My experience with my Locomotion KGV proves the point on the gloss finish...which is light years ahead of their bog-standard versions.They appear as drab and lifeless to my eyes. IMHO the paint job spoils an otherwise excellent model.However,beauty is,as they say,in the eye of the beholder and I'm quite sure they'll give pleasure to many.Of the current crop of mainstream King releases,only the BR blue attracts.

No harm done, a totally understandable mistake to make, I believed it myself for quite some time.

You're totally right about NCiMs KGV it is light years ahead! with out wishing to restart an argument which has already been and gone, I don't understand why Hornby are unwilling to change a green which is clearly wrong? and I do hope they release a more gloss locos in future, the finish on KGV must be the way to go

• RMweb Premium

No harm done, a totally understandable mistake to make, I believed it myself for quite some time.

You're totally right about NCiMs KGV it is light years ahead! with out wishing to restart an argument which has already been and gone, I don't understand why Hornby are unwilling to change a green which is clearly wrong? and I do hope they release a more gloss locos in future, the finish on KGV must be the way to go

Probably due to the fact every other model beforehand would then look completely different.

• RMweb Gold

Please tell me you are not going to dirty that loco.

A spot of light,judicious weathering would be in order.Remember that this was early postwar UK,still complete with dark satanic mills.It was the era of austerity,grime soot and smog.Go for it ,James.....but lightly this time?

• RMweb Gold

For those who were wondering the front NEM socket is as separate (plastic) moulding, that can be removed by undoing a screw on the bogie top and then carefully remove with a craft knife- as the rest of the part holds the front set of bogie wheels in place.

post-7000-0-05207900-1447946909_thumb.jpg

A quick close of the cab, with the tender removed.

post-7000-0-28416300-1447946931_thumb.jpg

• Like 3