Hornby king

B15nac

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, scumcat said:

We rode behind 6023 a few years ago on the Paignton to Dartmouth railway so I renamed my Hornby one as well, don’t forget the electric live wire warning signs. Spot the difference:)

F9ACB2C3-D077-42FB-A190-5269B811C4EC.jpeg

9F4BBBDD-25ED-414C-8DF3-0F98474F7151.png

Glad you haven't squashed down the chimney, safety valve cover and cab roof to match the preserved 6023 though....... :)

They won't remain squashed - rebuild in progress to return to 'standard' as mainline operation will be ruled out ... I believe.

I haven't placed the overhead electricity warning signs, so good point - I have plenty of them, just need 'a patient moment' to place them - thanks for that one.

Model runs brilliantly with plenty of power - and speed!

Al.

Back to George and William

After not a little time I have managed to get all six of George's wheels to touch the track at the same time and have tweaked the settings on its new LokSound 5 Micro - thank you Kevin for the Coastal Sounds Project.  I have loaded a 'good video' to YouTube showing how the model performs with a hand on the controller - the last video (warts and all ) was made in 'hands free mode' so that I could better operate the camera.  The new video also showcases some of the 'random' sounds that are possible on analogue.

Cheers Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

........ your variant on Analogue sounds somewhat better!

Thank you John - a fascinating observation.  I had to upgrade from a LokSound Version 4 to a Version 5 due to my own mismanagement.  You have to change the maximum voltage setting with something like a Sprog - thereafter the model is amazingly responsive and drives pretty well the same as an analogue model with inertia - but playing sounds of course.

Cheers

Ray

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any idea where to get a new buffer? I just noticed last night my KGV that I'm working on has two different sized buffers.

(It's still being worked on, most issues that you see should be solved with a good coat of gloss)

Hornby KGV.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Ribird said:

Any idea where to get a new buffer? I just noticed last night my KGV that I'm working on has two different sized buffers.

(It's still being worked on, most issues that you see should be solved with a good coat of gloss)

Maybe try Hornby direct or Peters Spares as first ports of call.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just finishing off a project for a friend … complete respray and lining plus details added , see photo for front end. 

Struggling with a couple of details though.,., I don’t have a tender fall plate, and the conjugating levers from the inside valve gear to the outside valve chests are missing! Think the model is a mongrel … new body on old chassis but can anyone advise please on how to solve above issues? 

Cheers

C4826B13-DF87-4C97-8019-32C05ED4B71C.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

Struggling with a couple of details though.,., I don’t have a tender fall plate, and the conjugating levers from the inside valve gear to the outside valve chests are missing! Think the model is a mongrel … new body on old chassis but can anyone advise please on how to solve above issues? 

Phil, I do the following for missing fall plates on modern Hornby Grange, Castle and King locos.  If I want a fall plate that looks like the Hornby original, then I'll cut out, roll and file one from Mainly Trains diamond chequer plate (MT355, from Wizard Models).  This method of course relies on me having another similar Hornby loco to hand that's still got a fall plate fitted so I can copy the shape (which I have). 

If I'm not concerned about fitting a fall plate that looks like the original Hornby one, then I'll use a J. E. Detailing GW Tender Fall Plate (JEW74, from Phoenix Precision) which has two advantages: (i) it includes floor planking in front of the fall plate, so it can be attached to the loco more securely than the original Hornby item; and (ii) rather ironically it looks far more like a Grange/Castle/King fall plate than the original Hornby one ever did - in my opinion, anyway.

Can't help with the valve gear levers though, other than making something out of plastikard or brass fret.

Hope that helps.

Pete T.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PJT said:

Phil, I do the following for missing fall plates on modern Hornby Grange, Castle and King locos.  If I want a fall plate that looks like the Hornby original, then I'll cut out, roll and file one from Mainly Trains diamond chequer plate (MT355, from Wizard Models).  This method of course relies on me having another similar Hornby loco to hand that's still got a fall plate fitted so I can copy the shape (which I have). 

If I'm not concerned about fitting a fall plate that looks like the original Hornby one, then I'll use a J. E. Detailing GW Tender Fall Plate (JEW74, from Phoenix Precision) which has two advantages: (i) it includes floor planking in front of the fall plate, so it can be attached to the loco more securely than the original Hornby item; and (ii) rather ironically it looks far more like a Grange/Castle/King fall plate than the original Hornby one ever did - in my opinion, anyway.

Can't help with the valve gear levers though, other than making something out of plastikard or brass fret.

Hope that helps.

Pete T.

Thanks Pete that does indeed make sense…. Will do as you suggest with the JE Detailing one as it sounds far more robust.

And can see me fabricating the levers from brass 

Cheers! 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Fall plate added @PJT your recommendation was spot on many thanks! Loco now finished - Jimbo has done a cracking job with repaint and lining- just waiting for crew to sign on

FD67AE95-F028-4965-B796-F83A7484CD2E.jpeg

DB646C5C-80EA-46A4-A626-25F27415F466.jpeg

54651CBA-974F-41ED-A09D-DCB19227A57B.jpeg

• Like 12

Very interesting to see the J.E. detailing item. I do like the planking which both looks good and must be a real help to the whole thing staying in place.

A bit late for Phil now, but I usually make mine from brass chequerplate that I've chemicaally blackened (A1 also do this item). I generally set tender and loco as close together as possible to get round my curves, which gives a distance of 3mm or a smidge under, so close to prototype. The fall plate is then glued to either tender or loco floor after experimenting for size and shape as to what will clear on the curve.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Cheers John pretty well what I had to do with that JE one - rounded off corners on tender end and opened out cutouts to clear hand brake and water scoop handle stands - although have left the loco to tender gap as per Hornby as it won’t be running on my layout and I can’t measure owners clearances

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Very interesting to see the J.E. detailing item. I do like the planking which both looks good and must be a real help to the whole thing staying in place.

I've been using these for a while and try to pick them up from their stand at exhibitions, remember those, as their postage costs are rather high for posting a bit of brass etch.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I've been using these for a while and try to pick them up from their stand at exhibitions, remember those, as their postage costs are rather high for posting a bit of brass etch.

Yes, I tend to order several at a time, together with some other detailing/repair parts (smokebox door handles, tank fillers, etc.), because of course it saves on postage and because I know I'll use them all within a reasonable length of time - they're really useful sorts of things to just have in stock, ready to use, without fear of them joining the kit stash and collecting dust for the next decade.

8 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Fall plate added @PJT your recommendation was spot on many thanks! Loco now finished - Jimbo has done a cracking job with repaint and lining- just waiting for crew to sign on

The loco looks lovely, Phil, and I'm delighted to see the fall plate did the job.  

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/08/2021 at 21:45, PJT said:

Yes, I tend to order several at a time, together with some other detailing/repair parts (smokebox door handles, tank fillers, etc.), because of course it saves on postage and because I know I'll use them all within a reasonable length of time - they're really useful sorts of things to just have in stock, ready to use, without fear of them joining the kit stash and collecting dust for the next decade.

The loco looks lovely, Phil, and I'm delighted to see the fall plate did the job.  

Certainly did! So now we have Rocket Rhodri on the regulator whilst Sid the shovel contemplates the parentage of the shed man who filled his tender with Boulder sized coal… cracking g figures from Hardies Hobbies, many thanks

C5369B81-29D5-451D-BCFB-BDA4C6E4792D.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
On 30/07/2021 at 12:08, Coach bogie said:

Cheers Mike had forgotten about this! Just ordered…will let you know how it goes