Drawings for slab-sided Grainflow?

jonhall

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I too would be interested in this, I tried using the BR Diagram but as Jon says its no use.

I have managed to get the body constructed using a side and end photograph but I have no idea where I got the side one from (it could have been from Fotopic). The end one is from Paul Bartletts website. I can't provide a link as work block sites containing photos except flickr bizarely.

The problem I have now is that I may have built the chassis too wide as the end supports are inset too far from the edge of the chassis but I have no way of telling as the only photo (mentioned above) I could possibly scale from has the buffer beam hidden behind a buffer stop.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I too would be interested in this, I tried using the BR Diagram but as Jon says its no use.

I have managed to get the body constructed using a side and end photograph but I have no idea where I got the side one from (it could have been from Fotopic). The end one is from Paul Bartletts website. I can't provide a link as work block sites containing photos except flickr bizarely.

The problem I have now is that I may have built the chassis too wide as the end supports are inset too far from the edge of the chassis but I have no way of telling as the only photo (mentioned above) I could possibly scale from has the buffer beam hidden behind a buffer stop.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

I also have the start of a chassis that I think is 4mm too wide - still to be proven right or wrong though!

I spent a couple of hours last night searching continental wagon sites to see if I could find the drawings.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

The Trancerials site had drawings of their grain wagons, but the slab sided UK gauge wagons are operated by Granit in France these days.

Jon

Hi Jon,

I have all the drawings that were on the Trancereals site and I think it included the UK gauge wagons.

Will have a look and see if I can tell which are which - when the site was up it had descriptions which included area of use.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

I'd be interested in a drawing of these as well.  As has already been mentioned, the BR diagram is useless, IIRC some of the dimensions on there don't make any sense.

Hi

Which dimensions as they looked ok to me. I found the proportions of the drawing are completely wrong and the end view doesn't match the side view.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I can't remember which - I'll take a look at the diagram.  IIRC it's to do with something not matching the total dimension given.

Hi

Ah I've seen that mentioned but if you look carefully the dimension isn't between bogie centres but between on bogie centre and the inner axle of the other bogie. The dimensions do add up correctly.

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I can't remember which - I'll take a look at the diagram.  IIRC it's to do with something not matching the total dimension given.

I think the wheelbase or overall length had a typo. I'll get my drawings out as I made a start on a slab sided one of these. It's on the shelf of things to finish one day. Talking of which, where are you with the IZA's? :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi

I decided to carry on with my Polybulk build without drawings and constructed a new chassis as the original was indeed too wide.

Current state (Sorry for the rubbish photo but white plasticard seems to be a pain to photograph)

post-109-0-41692900-1412755107_thumb.jpg

Needs the end platform fabricating and the pipe that runs down one side along with some small detailing parts. The handwheels are already painted ready to add once the model is complete.

I am struggling to make out the top two lines of text on the wagon side (at the top inside the copyright symbol in this image http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/belgianpolybulk/h32f0ab58#hce78e6a) so that I can finish my transfer artwork.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 5

Hi

I decided to carry on with my Polybulk build without drawings and constructed a new chassis as the original was indeed too wide.

Current state (Sorry for the rubbish photo but white plasticard seems to be a pain to photograph)

attachicon.gifpolybulk 1.jpg

Needs the end platform fabricating and the pipe that runs down one side along with some small detailing parts. The handwheels are already painted ready to add once the model is complete.

I am struggling to make out the top two lines of text on the wagon side (at the top inside the copyright symbol in this image http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/belgianpolybulk/h32f0ab58#hce78e6a) so that I can finish my transfer artwork.

Cheers

Paul

Paul; the answer's a few images to the right:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/belgianpolybulk/h32f0ab58#h1b081e36

• RMweb Premium

Paul; the answer's a few images to the right:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/belgianpolybulk/h32f0ab58#h1b081e36

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I can't view the images from work but if you have linked to the grey version showing the lettering at that end of the wagon then the lettering is different to the green version.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I can't view the images from work but if you have linked to the grey version showing the lettering at that end of the wagon then the lettering is different to the green version.

Cheers

Paul

I just realised that..The lettering also seems to be different from that on other Grainflow Polybulks registered in the UK.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Paul

This looks great and has got me thinking about trying one for my own layout. I have a question:

Where did you get all the brass bits, such as the hopper bits and other parts of the undercarriage?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Edited by RobboPetes

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Paul

This looks great and has got me thinking about trying one for my own layout. I have a question:

Where did you get all the brass bits, such as the hopper bits and other parts of the undercarriage?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

The hopper brass parts are all from brass strip with a small piece of wire soldered on to make the little bar. The other brass parts are from the Taylor Precision Models Ferry Wagon detailing set cut up and glued back together with the ladder coming from the Ultima Models signal ladders.

Thinking about it earlier, I'm wondering if you can use the N Gauge Society Grainflow Polybulk hopper as the basis for this build. I shall have a look later and might take that route to build my own.

Personally I wouldn't bother they are completely different and it far easier to build one than you might think.

Forgot to add if you want any further information don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi

Does anyone know what colour the top of the wagon was where the roof hatches are? All the pictures in the original grey and green livery I can find don't show the top of the roof. The green appears to go up to the raised section where the hatches are but I cannot determine if it continues over the top.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Does anyone know what colour the top of the wagon was where the roof hatches are? All the pictures in the original grey and green livery I can find don't show the top of the roof. The green appears to go up to the raised section where the hatches are but I cannot determine if it continues over the top.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Did you decide on the builder for these wagons - I can't remember and it's not on here?

Also - which wagon numbers apply to your model?

Thanks

ps - wagon still looking good!

If these are the ex UK ones then run as Granit in Europe - check this link.

http://www.wagons-europe.fr/gallery304/index.php/87-france/933-granit-services?page=1

Edited by Scottish Modeller