Colchester exhibition 2009

dr tim

Next to the A12/A120 roundabout at Marks Tey. Slip road off to the left just after the beginning of the W bound A120.

Traders on CMRC website.

Great stuff thanks :) I checked the multimap site and it showed the postcode as being on the A12, now looking closer I can see its te road that runs alongside.

Should have gone to specsavers :lol:

There isn't a huge amount of parking at the Community Centre. You might be better parking at or near Marks Tey Station and walking across (there is now a pedestrian crossing on the A120) although (sadly) the weather forecast for tomorrow doesn't look good sad.gif

Tim.

• RMweb Gold

There isn't a huge amount of parking at the Community Centre. You might be better parking at or near Marks Tey Station and walking across (there is now a pedestrian crossing on the A120) although (sadly) the weather forecast for tomorrow doesn't look good sad.gif

Tim.

I thought there were arrangements for overflow parking at a nearby business that is closed on Sunday? Has that now been changed? I was told about this a couple of weeks ago. I'm supposed to be there early to help with the Thamesiders layout assembly.

For Club members and exhibitors, yes there are specific parking arrangements to avoid filling all the parking before we start (but check exactly what when you arrive). We can't do that for the general public (which is where I believe the enquiry came from).

Thanks

Tim

No-one's bitten with any comments , so I'll add some. Better than last year, but less well attended (last year was a bit of a scrum). The layout selection was a good deal better - at least to my 4mm prejudiced eye : last year attempted to deal with the problem of a cramped new venue by focussing almost entirely on 2mm and that didn't really work. This year had a good variety of layouts, and some very good ones among them . The balance of trade was better as well

Foxup in P4 was excellent, with very fine structure work and some very good pregrouping stock. The US Z gauge layout was an excellent advertisement for the potential of Z , with very convincing scenery . Although operations didn't seem to make use of it, the design concept, with a passing loop, should allow a bit of operating potential in that a train could be parked in view awaiting something else to cross . US HO tends not to be my thing, but the Thamesiders' layout was good - however I'm not sure you can run Pennsy steam past P+ONLL and China Shipping containers without the presence of a blue Police Box....

Exchange Sidings (EM) was pleaseant , and the O gauge layout was worth a look. However I was rather less comfortable with the German narrow gauge layout for non-modelling reasons: the inhabitents seemed to be expecting a visit from the Fuhrer

• RMweb Gold

. US HO tends not to be my thing, but the Thamesiders' layout was good - however I'm not sure you can run Pennsy steam past P+ONLL and China Shipping containers without the presence of a blue Police Box....

This was discussed early in the day (about 8am I recall) and the appropriate diesels were out in the morning (although I like US railroads I'm rather vague about diesels). For those of us with steam engines in the afternoon I think the explanation was that it is a modular layout! My little Ma & Pa 4-6-0 at least got a run longer than my dining table. It was the first time I've ever been on the "operating" side of an exhibition so it was all new to me as I only joined the club this summer.

Tony

However I was rather less comfortable with the German narrow gauge layout for non-modelling reasons: the inhabitents seemed to be expecting a visit from the Fuhrer

I like that layout... but then Im quite taken with the german steam outline.

Some pics of the controversial layout in question

100_0275.jpg

100_0277.jpg

100_0278.jpg

I do want to ask the question... would you have been more comfortable had the flags and vehicles been either US or British?

I'm glad you mentioned that, Ravenser. I too was at the Colchester Show and was momentarily taken aback by the Nazi insignia used on that layout. On reflection though, I think that has more to do with my personal politics than anything else. After all, it is perfectly normal for military modellers to create models of WW11 subjects other than Allied Forces. It's just that we are not used to seeing them on model railways.

In recent years there has been a definite trend towards depicting grittier urban scenarios within the context of a layout, rather than the usual bucolic scenes.

Grahame Hedges very effectively utilised the famous and controversial Wonderbra adverts on a poster hoarding on his excellent and atmospheric 'Stoney Lane Depot' to firmly place his layout in its 'period'. Similarly, swastika banners within the context of a layout depicting a Germany immediately preceeding WW11 are unfortunately just period detail, even though in both examples the originals are now considered politically incorrect.

I might have been worried though if the operators were in full uniform!

Interestingly (for me at any rate) both these examples powerfully convey how railway modellers have (amongst many other skills) the ability to document and subtly comment on social change.

And people think we are just playing trains.....

Archived