The Mill

Great Stuff my son, you and Chris have plenty to do and the thought of a grotty industrial Mill and old warehouses really appeals to me. I cant wait to see it up and running, what the timescale for the competition, and will there be signs of an old Canal somewhere?

Bodge.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The mill is to depict part of a larger structure as there is only so much you can cram into <5'

As can be seen from the plan, the main building will be along the back of the layout and will have at least one lucam with (hopefully) a working crane/ winch). To the left will be the boiler house & engine room and to the right, a shed for loading finished products.

Front left are the coal drops and there will be one short siding to chuck a couple of empties.

Due to the restrictions in length, trains will consist of short wheelbase shunters and two or three wagons; opens, vans and coal hoppers; there's no need for brakevans.

Andy, we're hoping to have it completed for next summer, in fact as we are already on a promise to exhibit at Goathland next July (and Paul will play hell if we don't :D). No canal, there's no room for one.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Great idea starting a thread...

Looks very interesting, particularly given the small area you have to play with.

Crack on and don't forget Mrs Sandside needs to help too - sharing a hobby would be a wonderful way to celebrate just being married ;-p

Great idea starting a thread...

Looks very interesting, particularly given the small area you have to play with.

Crack on and don't forget Mrs Sandside needs to help too - sharing a hobby would be a wonderful way to celebrate just being married ;-p

She might want Jason to wash up in return though :O hhahahhahaha

Bodge.

Morning

After just a few chats at the club about the idea of doing somthing & Jason coming up with a great track plan idea that was enough in my mind to get the creative juices flowing. So once the templot diagram appeared we could visualise how to build it, at this point Jason was otherwise 'engaged',well up untill he got married that is so I thought I'd just make a bit of a start & go get some decent 9mm birch base ply & be ready to make a start when he got back. One idea leads to another & I've ended up with a nearly complete baseboard. The guys at the timber yard (Harrogate Timber) even cut most of it to size for me, good lads.

post-19016-0-63428700-1410045349_thumb.jpg

post-19016-0-74829900-1410045596_thumb.jpg

Below is how it is at the moment....

post-19016-0-94449400-1410045721_thumb.jpg

Here is the uncut top withsome SMP flexi & a couple of PCB turnouts I have that are nearly right just to help mark out for the building & cutting the top to shape & just to try get a feel for what it's going look like.

post-19016-0-72203400-1410046594_thumb.jpg

As Jason has said the plan is to have a Woking unloading crane/hoist ' I've made a start on the mech for this I'll try get a pic of this posted up later on.

Cheers for now...  

Chris

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Would be good if you could include a working wagon turntable in to the mill - you look to have enough depth between the mill line and the baseboard edge.

Does the Mill make baseball caps by any chance ?