The Mill

• RMweb Premium

Morning Tony.

Lucams are the covered protrusions that house winches, etc. and will need to be deep enough to be over the wagons. That's why there are the triangles above the doors. I was looking at the ones on the Midland Railway warehouse (in Bingley) yesterday and even though those ones were for road rather than rail vehicles, they do protrude pretty far.

They won't be green but a mucky washed out cream colour.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jason

just to help(?) with window woodwork colours

Temple Works (which houses the Leeds clubrooms) has blue window frames at the back and off white at the front with odd one sin black(!)

Some of the mills still standing in Leeds seem to have a variety of colour schemes - green, brown, off white... so it seems that it was almost like what's the cheapest paint  this week?

The building is looking great!

Baz

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've had a day at home alone today so have been able to spend quite a bit of time getting on with the layout. 

First and foremost, the Mill now stands on it's own. It's still far from finished (there is a tower to be built at the left hand side for starters) but it's now no longer a 3.5' long floppy length of cardboard and is straight, which will enable the lucams to be attached. The 'missing' doors will be modelled open - the doorframes have already been added and painted.

Mills%20001_zpsf5yjrtfy.jpg

Mills%20002_zpsfpknlip8.jpg

Here's what is holding it up, a floor and frame of MDF. There are still card formers to be added too, to ensure that the roof sits properly (and also to allow it to go over the ridge). I ran out of MDF (which was Chris's really).

Mills%20005_zps653zanln.jpg

Two Lucams, showing the construction. Both are planked (not really clear in he photo as they are wearing a layer of undercoat) and have the glazing added, next steps are to add the window frames and then paint & weather them before affixing them to the mill.

Mills%20006_zps6aearavy.jpg

A host of wagons, all wearing their undercoat.

Mills%20003_zpsnri4eby5.jpg

You may have also spotted the start of the retaining wall; more on that when I have progressed but I can tell you that it is a pain as it is sited on a sloping surface and needs to be canted in too.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Cheers folks. Individual slates my ar$e, although I will be using strips of 150 gsm card as per usual. As for the track, it will all be inset with the exception of the coal drops (obviously). The astute will have noticed that there are no coal drop; the line of PCB sleepers is heading for where they will be.

Shaun, the bracing inside the lucams is functional rather than anything else as it won't really be seen. It is to avoid the Plastikard warping, a you can lightly apply MEK around the edges of the cutouts rather than having to flood it to get the embossed Plastikard on, which is a recipe for disaster (unless modelling bananas of course).

There was a bit of swearing involved with the construction of the Cambrian kits, and the LMS van needed the roof extending and the use of Microstrip to hide the poor moulding where the ends meet. I even had to add 10 thou behind the axleboxes on one so that the bearings were correctly placed to hold the axles without them flopping all over the place. On the wagon front, I also took a photo of the three 16 tonners I've built (useless for this layout) but when I was uploading it I noticed that one of the safety loops on the brakes (brass ones) was wonky so I fixed it and deleted the photo :)

• Like 7

I've had a day at home alone today so have been able to spend quite a bit of time getting on with the layout.

First and foremost, the Mill now stands on it's own. It's still far from finished (there is a tower to be built at the left hand side for starters) but it's now no longer a 3.5' long floppy length of cardboard and is straight, which will enable the lucams to be attached. The 'missing' doors will be modelled open - the doorframes have already been added and painted.

Mills%20001_zpsf5yjrtfy.jpg

Mills%20002_zpsfpknlip8.jpg

Here's what is holding it up, a floor and frame of MDF. There are still card formers to be added too, to ensure that the roof sits properly (and also to allow it to go over the ridge). I ran out of MDF (which was Chris's really).

Mills%20005_zps653zanln.jpg

Two Lucams, showing the construction. Both are planked (not really clear in he photo as they are wearing a layer of undercoat) and have the glazing added, next steps are to add the window frames and then paint & weather them before affixing them to the mill.

Mills%20006_zps6aearavy.jpg

A host of wagons, all wearing their undercoat.

Mills%20003_zpsnri4eby5.jpg

You may have also spotted the start of the retaining wall; more on that when I have progressed but I can tell you that it is a pain as it is sited on a sloping surface and needs to be canted in too.

Fantastic progress mate! It's really coming along now....

Regards the MDF 'Mi casa su casa' it was only ever brought over to be used so fill your boots. With the balance of work at the moment definnatly in your favor, due to my expiriance of building buildings & sceanary being non what so ever. I'll have to pull my finger out & get the Neilson finished & your Pug running, finish off the handful rolling stock I've built & get stuck in with some scenics (cutting slates from 150g card I suspect).

Chris

Edited by Chris-GNR
  • Like 4

Hi Jason, Brilliant write up as usual matey, full on relevant info and details.

The pics look amazing, but still not worthy of the like button hahha, only joking mate, its really the Dogs Nuts and I cant wait to see it.

All the best to you and Sofia.

• RMweb Premium

Mills%20010_zpso2qyw1lf.jpg

Looking good.  I'd be tempted to change the tie bar between the axleguards on the 21t hopper for brass L section (Eileen's do a 1mm x 1mm).  Plastic ones break off too easily on stock which travels to exhibitions and the brass will remain straighter than the plastic has here.  You can't tell that it is L section once fitted but it gives it much more strength and increased surface area for gluing.

On a different subject.  Did I spot earlier in the thread that you are using a frog juicer?  If so, are you happy with it and do you think it worthwhile?

• RMweb Premium

You've come a long way with with the mill building since I was in Bingley a fortnight ago. And your perseverence with those steps has been well worth it.

Bit more interesting than screwing bits of wood together!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I may well replace the tie bars as the plastic ones have a tendency to warp.

Very happy with the frog juicers; wiring the diamond up had me scratching my head but these are simplicity themselves and work.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Too late now but I have used these walls on my layouts and they are fantastic. Rubber moulding so they are flexible, prepainted and come with double-sided adhesive on the back. Can be cut with a sharp knife etc.

http://www.choochenterprises.com/HOwalls.html

Just a happy customer.

Interesting stuff, could you give us the dimensions please?