The Mill

• RMweb Premium

Could probably do with testing it all too mate :)

I will have precious little time between now and the show to get anything but essentials done. A note to visitors to the show - we haven't had much time to get locos and stock done / finished so please excuse what may be an eclectic mix and bear in mind that everything you see (with the exception of Mr Chipsley the chimney, which is on loan from Bacup) has been built specifically for this layout, since last August. That includes locos, stock, baseboards, buildings, the lot.

• Like 2

Guest bri.s

Amazing work on the coal drops Jason a real work of art

I don't think people will mind the eclectic mix of things ,due to the standard of the modelling you've done

Brian

Jason & Chris,

Good to see you both earlier today at Goathland Model Railway Exhibition.

The Mill was superb and the little Nielson locomotive not only looked exquisite but ran beautifully.

It is really amazing to see everything that you have both created from scratch or kits. 

Fantastic workmanship.

All the very best,

John.

PS: Please post some more pictures - especially now you've painted over those three little planks!

• Like 1

Looks good J, you cant get a real feel for its size until you have a Humanoid standing next to it, then it really shows what a mammoth venture it has been for basically a small layout. Really impressive workmanship on not only the buildings but the exquisite stock so far. It would even stand Green or Blue Diesels like 03 / 08 and get away with it.

Well done Chris and Jason.

Looks good J, you cant get a real feel for its size until you have a Humanoid standing next to it...

From Wikipedia: "humanoid (/ˈhjuːmənɔɪd/; from English human and -oid "resembling") is something that has an appearance resembling a human being."

H omo Chris-GNRiform?

Edit: Damn Yankee language filter. 

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 1

Well,The Mill has had it's first outing and it wasn't without it's hiccups (see the Goathland thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99195-goathland-2015-18th-19th-july/)although nothing of note with the layout itself - a slight adjustment of track on one turnout, a couple of AJ's tweaking and that was it). We even managed to get a couple of bits finished on the Sunday morning. Great show, very happy for it's first outing to have been there and nice as always to see a few RMWebbers there and meet loads of new people.

So, a few photos, which help with showing what needs doing to move the layout on. There are a few obvious omissions that will be sorted out in the next couple of months, not least being locos and stock.

Goathland%202015%20002_zpsjr7hhozy.jpg

Goathland%202015%20018_zpswpgjuhzy.jpg

Goathland%202015%20015_zps9jkcrdye.jpg

Goathland%202015%20014_zpsovxzj5wa.jpg

Chris with a cheesy grin

Goathland%202015%20012_zps36ttx4in.jpg

Goathland%202015%20011_zps0ewig7nc.jpg

Goathland%202015%20009_zps5piqprdn.jpg

The ex L&Y van, although in LMS livery when the rest of the stock used was in BR period for most of the time, spent 95% of the time out front getting shuttled from pillar to post. It was a firm favourite (of ours, at least)

Goathland%202015%20008_zpsjpxaljnz.jpg

Goathland%202015%20005_zpsfzbqje5t.jpg

Goathland%202015%20002_zpsjr7hhozy.jpg

Sorry I didn't make it Saturday, but "T" Mill looks "T" great.

Truly great modelling - Nice one!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all....

Not much to report but still plenty to do. I've given myself the task of wanting to get another loco built before EM North (should we make the short list) & also Shipley Show 19th/20th Sep (shameless plug) It is another excellent High Level kit, Stephenson & Hawthorns 14" 0-4-0t. It's Jason's kit but in the spirit of a bit of 'horse trading' I'm setting to with getting it built, him being a dam sight more handy with the paints than me & the colossal skill & effort gone into the buildings on the layout.

Anyone who has built any of the High Level stuff even just one of the gear boxes you'll know just how well designed they are & as a result a joy build. That said it don't just jump out of the box & build its self but for me if it did that would take most of the enjoyment out of the process. It's a great feeling seeing the loco develop as the pieces left on the fret get ever less & less & your mind is busy with thinking ahead to picksups, additional detail, where to add extra weight & how your going to mount coupling & such, the things that make a build quite personal. Everyone has their own way & ideas on such things.

Here are a few pics of where it's at after a few evenings work.......

post-19016-0-00221300-1439029728_thumb.jpg

post-19016-0-02674700-1439029747_thumb.jpg

post-19016-0-27796800-1439029762_thumb.jpg

post-19016-0-16409000-1439029777_thumb.jpg

Jason is heading over this evening so I should be able to get a bit more done, motion & gear train hopefully.

Note these are not the correct wheel type but are the correct size. I ordered the Manning Wardle profile by mistake but decided to use them to get the build underway & I'll swop them out when I get the correct ones. Silly boy I am.....

Cheers

Chris

• Like 5

Fantastic work Chris, I love the look of those little Shunting / Industrial Locos, what livery will it be in?

Cheers Andy.

I'm not sure to be honest. it's Jason's so he'll be painting it I would imagine but I may paint the chassis once it's fully complete & tested before the correct wheels go on.

Chris

• Like 2

They are another lovely little loco the RSH's I have one in light blue and P4 with CSB. I think they might be better in the simple compensation that you have built. Currently mine is running but needs the chassis guard at the front soldered back on. It was thrown off on a friends layout and I have not had the memory to re attach when the soldering iron was on!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all....

Not much to report but still plenty to do. I've given myself the task of wanting to get another loco built before EM North (should we make the short list) & also Shipley Show 19th/20th Sep (shameless plug) It is another excellent High Level kit, Stephenson & Hawthorns 14" 0-4-0t. It's Jason's kit but in the spirit of a bit of 'horse trading' I'm setting to with getting it built, him being a dam sight more handy with the paints than me & the colossal skill & effort gone into the buildings on the layout.

Anyone who has built any of the High Level stuff even just one of the gear boxes you'll know just how well designed they are & as a result a joy build. That said it don't just jump out of the box & build its self but for me if it did that would take most of the enjoyment out of the process. It's a great feeling seeing the loco develop as the pieces left on the fret get ever less & less & your mind is busy with thinking ahead to picksups, additional detail, where to add extra weight & how your going to mount coupling & such, the things that make a build quite personal. Everyone has their own way & ideas on such things.

Here are a few pics of where it's at after a few evenings work.......

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Jason is heading over this evening so I should be able to get a bit more done, motion & gear train hopefully.

Note these are not the correct wheel type but are the correct size. I ordered the Manning Wardle profile by mistake but decided to use them to get the build underway & I'll swop them out when I get the correct ones. Silly boy I am.....

Cheers

Chris

Sounds like the 'mistake' means you'll just have to buy a Manning Wardle kit to match the wheels.

• RMweb Premium

I now have the confirmation letter in my grubby hand; The Mill made the final six of the competition (27 original entries although some pulled out).

Chuffed? Us?

I should think so :)

Expo EM North here we come :) :) :)

• Like 15