The Mill

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks to everyone for your kind comments, voting for us and all the support whilst we have been rambling on in this thread.

The idea for the layout was sketched on a scrap of paper and shown to the BCB boys when we were in a pub whilst away with the layout, John (Gringo) saying that we'd need about 15' for what I was proposing. The week after, I suggested to Chris that it may be fun to have a go and went over my thoughts for what we could do, with an updated plan that needed less than 15', he liked what he heard and much to Frank's consternation (as we are both involved with building Shipley's next tour de force, Clayton), said he was on board. The rest is recorded on these electronic pages.

What may not be recorded is just how much fun we have had whilst building it, our Sunday evening sessions always being filled with laughter, giving things silly names (e.g. Mr Chipsley the chimney). On top of that, we have pushed each other with our modelling, especially in the construction of wagon kits (one uses etched under-gubbins, the other has to).

We hoped we would get into the top six but were relieved to get confirmation that we'd made the grade. We were up against some tough competition and to get the win shocked us both, as anyone who saw our reaction will testify. I am still grinning now.

It's been a pleasure to work with Chris on the layout, we are indebted to the society and everyone who voted for us and chuffed to bits that we have a trainset to play with that hopefully shows that 60" x 18" is more than sufficient space to build a fun and usable layout.

As a footnote, we went to the pub last night (baby asleep in pram next to us) and lo and behold, won the pub quiz too :)

post-9707-0-43225400-1442219283_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Many thanks to everyone for your kind comments, voting for us and all the support whilst we have been rambling on in this thread.

The idea for the layout was sketched on a scrap of paper and shown to the BCB boys when we were in a pub whilst away with the layout, John (Gringo) saying that we'd need about 15' for what I was proposing. The week after, I suggested to Chris that it may be fun to have a go and went over my thoughts for what we could do, with an updated plan that needed less than 15', he liked what he heard and much to Frank's consternation (as we are both involved with building Shipley's next tour de force, Clayton), said he was on board. The rest is recorded on these electronic pages.

What may not be recorded is just how much fun we have had whilst building it, our Sunday evening sessions always being filled with laughter, giving things silly names (e.g. Mr Chipsley the chimney). On top of that, we have pushed each other with our modelling, especially in the construction of wagon kits (one uses etched under-gubbins, the other has to).

We hoped we would get into the top six but were relieved to get confirmation that we'd made the grade. We were up against some tough competition and to get the win shocked us both, as anyone who saw our reaction will testify. I am still grinning now.

It's been a pleasure to work with Chris on the layout, we are indebted to the society and everyone who voted for us and chuffed to bits that we have a trainset to play with that hopefully shows that 60" x 18" is more than sufficient space to build a fun and usable layout.

As a footnote, we went to the pub last night (baby asleep in pram next to us) and lo and behold, won the pub quiz too :)

Quick, play the lottery...

• Like 1

Hi Chaps,

Well it certainly was a great pleasure to meet both you guys and to see you carry away the trophy, a well deserved win, up against some tough competition.

For me, I couldn't believe how well the concept of the layout worked - it just looked so 'right' and ran very well too, wonderful!

I'll come back soon and post a few snaps if I may, just struggling to upload at the moment.

21411719115_67a039e7a9_c.jpgWP_20150913_15_50_27_Refocus by Allegheny1633, on Flickr

More pics on Flickr.

All the best,

John.

Edit for photo!

Edited by Allegheny1600
  • Like 15

Further congratulations from your fellow modellers next door on Middle Peak. A superb entry by you both,

Best wishes

Martyn & Graham 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Thanks chaps; looks like it was down to a handful of votes between us and could have gone either way. We were both very impressed with Middle Peak as it is a wonderful layout, was great being placed next to you chaps in the hall too.

Is there a thread / blog for Middle Peak anywhere, as it deserves a wider audience.

Cheers,

Jason (& Chris).

• Like 2

Well done guys ,great modelling ,I hope to see it one day in the flesh

Well done with pub voucher :)

Brian

Edited by bri.s

It's about a year ago that I got into this model railway lark. Had been walking the old Rawtenstall to Bacup route and decided to try to find out where Bacup station was. First thing that came up on Google? Yup, you guessed it. Unarguably Jason's Bacup was the inspiration for me to get into this - and the wife is still after his blood - and this joint creation is in some ways perhaps even better. Thanks to you both for sharing. Your award is so well deserved.

</sycophancy> :-)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

The stonework sets the layout very much in East Lancs / West Riding and the limited length of the sector plate suits 0-4-0's really, so it's unlikely that a Pannier Tank or suchlike will appear in the stud but who knows what will turn up at exhibitions and the like? It has already been host to a C12, N5, J72, J6, Park Royal railbus (a OO one at that), Black Five and a G2A.

Andy, with such wonderful layouts as Culm and Kier Hardy's new magnum opus 'Hornsey Broadway' attending Shipley's show, I think it highly unlikely that our effort would win a gong :)

• RMweb Premium

Managed to get a Cambrian LNER Steel bodied mineral wagon 50% built this morning as I couldn't get back to sleep after feeding the nipper. Think I managed to build it square, will check tonight but the mirror test seemed to suggest all is true and square.

No internal detail and nasty ridges to locate the floor so it will have a permanent load which is a shame, but a slightly different mineral wagon will be nice - no top doors on it.

Who knows, I may be able to build a kit a week; sleep deprivation has to have it's advantages.

Managed to get a Cambrian LNER Steel bodied mineral wagon 50% built this morning as I couldn't get back to sleep after feeding the nipper. Think I managed to build it square, will check tonight but the mirror test seemed to suggest all is true and square.

No internal detail and nasty ridges to locate the floor so it will have a permanent load which is a shame, but a slightly different mineral wagon will be nice - no top doors on it.

Who knows, I may be able to build a kit a week; sleep deprivation has to have it's advantages.

I thought you built them whilst sitting in Traffic Jams on the way to work, hahhahah