The Mill

Hi Jason 

The coal drops look amazing mate. Lovely workmanship indeed.

Just reading through your last few posts I'm the same as you and would rather run freight than passenger as I too find it a lot more interesting. Trust me its the same in real life too. Freight train driving is a lot more interesting than passenger work. Yes it is glamorous running around on expresses at 100mph+ but it soon gets boring.

As to the question "can you have enough wagons?". Well after trying to run PDW to a prototypical timetable last night the answer is a resounding no!! Especially in the early hours of the morning when about six trains leave in quick succession. Which is a b*gg*r at the moment as I only have three rakes of hoppers!!

Keep up the good work mate and I look forward to seeing a possible extension to The Mill.

Cheers

Marcus 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys. It was great to be able to work on the layout again, I currently have no room for it at home and Chris's modelling room has been full of other stuff too so it has been sat in Shipley's clubhouse since the Shipley show back in September (including being stranded there since the floods decimated the ground floor of the building the clubhouse is in on Boxing Day). The layout is next out in a months time at the 101 Not Out EM/P4 Skills Day in Ewell on the 12th March.

Before then, we have a few more tidying up jobs to be getting on with but the layout is still far from finished; isn't that always the case?

In the aforementioned lull, I have been building a frankly ridiculous number of wagon kits, most of which need painting and stand no chance of being ready for the 12th. However, there are others which are fully decorated and grubby, but need AJ's.

What prompted this post was me finding the below piccy on my phone of a recently completed BR 5 plank with LMS J suspension and brake gear (oh, and with no tarp bar)

post-9707-0-04312400-1454932567_thumb.jpeg

Found this one too, from a month or so ago:

post-9707-0-92970100-1454932795_thumb.jpeg

• Like 15

Evening,

Despite my failings on modifying the sector plate mech last night it was, as Jason says great just to get together, set the layout up & start some of the jobs that will get the layout a bit closer to to being finished.

I have a new design I'm mind for the sector plate, more on that when its in place. I have however now finished the 14" RSH tank & it will be going with Jason for paint next time we do a bit more on our set up.

Chris

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just a quick note to say that we and the layout are t the 101 Not Out EM/P4 Skills Day in Ewell on Saturday. Due to other commitments, not a huge amount has been done to the layout since Expo EM North other than a bit of tidying up but there are a few new items of rolling stock that will appear and the High Level RSH should hopefully be painted (but not weathered); I just have to mask up the body and apply the coat of black to the smokebox, chimney and footplate now, which is easier said than done when you have a six month old nipper and a missus who finds things for you to do all the time. So, if there are areas that are still in primer on Saturday, you know why. Saying that, it is a skills day so maybe I can spray it at the event (although there would be little skill involved :))

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107366-101-not-out-a-scalefour-society-em-gauge-society-skills-day/

If you are in the area, pop along. Loads of stuff going on during the day, a few lovely layouts and surely better than gardening / housework / shopping.

• Like 5

Just a quick note to say that we and the layout are t the 101 Not Out EM/P4 Skills Day in Ewell on Saturday. Due to other commitments, not a huge amount has been done to the layout since Expo EM North other than a bit of tidying up but there are a few new items of rolling stock that will appear and the High Level RSH should hopefully be painted (but not weathered); I just have to mask up the body and apply the coat of black to the smokebox, chimney and footplate now, which is easier said than done when you have a six month old nipper and a missus who finds things for you to do all the time. So, if there are areas that are still in primer on Saturday, you know why. Saying that, it is a skills day so maybe I can spray it at the event (although there would be little skill involved :))

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107366-101-not-out-a-scalefour-society-em-gauge-society-skills-day/

If you are in the area, pop along. Loads of stuff going on during the day, a few lovely layouts and surely better than gardening / housework / shopping.

And you forgot NAPPY CHANGING, HAHHAHAHHHaaaa :O  :scared:  :scared: :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

Edited by Andrew P

NAPPY CHANGING

Ugh!

Good luck to those who have to do this sort of thing, I couldn't countenance that!!

Anyway, good luck Jason & Chris on the 12th, that's a bit far for me and I'm forcibly occupied anyway.

Hope to see you guys further north somettime this year though!?!

Cheers,

John.

• Like 2

Beat me to it Jason.

Very much looking forward to this Saturday it looks be be a very interesting & unique event.

As promised in my last post the improved sector plate mech,

post-19016-0-23445700-1457442707_thumb.jpg

sorry for the bad quality photo.

As I hope is clear replacing the previous mech is a much simpler rack & pinion set up reusing the same gearhead motor as before. I've move the micro switches further back to allow for mounting the motor on the underside of the S/P & fixed a very high tech bit of 3mm MDF off-cut to act upon them when the S/P completes its travel. The pinion gear & rack are from Expo Drills & Tools, I bought a couple of lengths or the rack & one of each gear size so i could find what combination worked best.

As Jason says not a huge amount of things done on the layout but what has been done are some of the small details that help complete the scene. No chance I don't think of another session before Friday so i think I'll try & get a few more wagons fitted with AJs.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Looking good, wish I could be there, should be a great event.

What is the origin of that horse drawn waggon in the photos?

Got home about ten minutes ago, tired but worth it as it was a cracking evening and day, a really great event. Drank lots of beer, chatted to a lot of people, had a laugh, played trains, saw some lovely modelling, laughed some more.

Mark, the wagon is one Chris got from somewhere ready built. I reckon that whoever built it screwed up as the massive back wheels make the whole thing look like some kind of bizarre drag racing cart, with the front of the body much lower than the rear. I do have a couple of Dart Castings carts to built at some point, as well as another horse to paint up (the shire horse took ages).

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Chris and I had a modelling evening last night, battling with tiny fold up frames. Chris started on the Sentinel and Me on the Judith Edge Ruston 48DS, a seriously small loco (much shorter than a 16 ton mineral).

Here is how far I got:

post-9707-0-64052300-1460315851_thumb.jpeg

post-9707-0-40812200-1460315871_thumb.jpeg

The lighter is to give an idea of size- the photos show the inner and outer frames with bufferbeams attached.

• Like 3