The Mill

• RMweb Premium

Good man. It'll be a chance to get up close to the layout(s) and if all goes to plan, we may have chance to bring a few work in progress items along too, to act as an impromptu demo (I may just try and squeeze a terrace or two from Bacup in the car as I want to get all the window frames painted at some point - the white of them now annoys me)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good man. It'll be a chance to get up close to the layout(s) and if all goes to plan, we may have chance to bring a few work in progress items along too, to act as an impromptu demo (I may just try and squeeze a terrace or two from Bacup in the car as I want to get all the window frames painted at some point - the white of them now annoys me)

I've been painting the window frames of the WW1 huts on Tackeroo white.   White in 1916 and they were White!

The military seamed to paint everything White.

I presume it was more like a lime wash than the later oil based paints

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I've been painting the window frames of the WW1 huts on Tackeroo white.   White in 1916 and they were White!

The military seamed to paint everything White.

I presume it was more like a lime wash than the later oil based paints

Andy

Including coal, RN paint scheme, grey on the outside, everything else, white.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jason, Good to see you today and finally see The Mill, it really is a superb job that you and Chris have done, FULL credit to you both.

Sorry we didn't get time for a chat, but you were either busy operating BCB or The Mill or chatting to others most of the day, catch up again soon maybe.

• RMweb Premium

If they are the c**p ones, then I'm looking forward to seeing some more of the good ones.

Adrian

Having now had the pleasure of seeing it in the flesh (so to speak), it certainly lived up to my expectations.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Stunning model to see in the real world instead of the virtual. My son came away stating categorically that his favourite was the dirty one... and he meant the layout not the baseball cap. Brilliant work both of you.

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Evening.

The Mill will be appearing at Shipley MRS 39th annual exhibition this weekend along side a host of other excellent layouts.

If your free it's always a great show & worth a visit. Even if I do say so myself :-)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/123715-shipley-exhibition-september-16th-17th-2017/

cheers

Chris

• Like 2

Evening.

Had a good day at Shipley today with The Mill, a lot of people stopping by to say hi & it ran well until about 12 when a point blade come unsoldered on the single slip which we managed to fix (thanks to Paul & Nicola for the support :-) ) despite it being buried amongst the sets. Then once that had been sorted one of the Tortoise motors failed! Luckily(?) all this meant was that we couldn't access the coal drops so there was 'no coal at t'mill today'. I'll be getting there first thing tomorrow morning to change it before we open at 10am.

Anyone who is planning on coming to the show be sure to say hello.

Cheers

Chris

• 8 months later...

Well its been a while hasn't it!

This evening Jason & I have loaded The Mill into the Volvo ready for a weekend playing out.

We're made up to be taking The Mill to RailEx in Aylesbury as its one of the best on the exhibition calendar & a show we've both been looking forward to since the initial invite back at some point in 2016 I think. Always an excellent show with very comprehensive trade support & always a very high standard of layouts on show.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125099-railex-2018-26-27-may/?p=2810214

Also very much looking forward to a coupe of nights out in the pub after the show.

If your planing to be at the show be sure to stop & say hello.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The Mill was at the back of the hall in good company, and looking great.  A classic example of how a small layout can be just as eye catching as one of the larger ones.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to everyone who popped over to say hello at Railex this weekend; we had a great time both with the layout and in the pub.

It’s very gratifying to be asked so many questions about the layout and be able to respond with hopefully useful responses. It’s the interaction with viewers that makes it so enjoyable.

• Like 3

I enjoyed seeing the layout on Saturday.The mill looks stunning and I love the little diesel. Well done Jason, hope I get to see it again sometime.

steve.

Edited by sb67

• RMweb Gold

The Mill was at the back of the hall in good company, and looking great.  A classic example of how a small layout can be just as eye catching as one of the larger ones.

Adrian

Well put. A classic ‘small is beautiful’ if ever there was one. It was Railex-standard by a mile. And by the time I stopped to chat on Sunday afternoon, the owners were a little less busy and had time to talk, too. Their pride added something.
  • Like 2

Evening

We had a great time at RailEx over the weekend with the layout & as Jason has said above we were very pleased to receive quite so much interest & have  a lot questions regards the layout.

Overall the layout ran well the whole weekend with only one incident of note. Late on Saturday afternoon one of the Tortoise motors looked to have failed it would still throw the blades fully each way but there was a dead spot in the track between the slip & loading shed when it was set to that route. After a bit of investigation looking for loose wires, head scratching, swearing & then starting to prepare to just change out the offending motor it was realised that the adjustable fulcrum point for the actuating wire had made its way down (speculating due to the heat inside the sports hall that afternoon) beyond its very lowest intended position & was stopping switch its self from trowing all the way over in one direction. Once this was rectified by simply repositioning the fulcrum point all was back as it should be.

The only other thing that occurred was within the first hour or so on Saturday morning the Neilson started to show signs of poor running & would short out over various bits of track work. So it was taken off the layout & I started to look into what the fault could be. After removing the body & checking for anything obvious such as misaligned pickups or brake gear making intermittent contact with the wheels etc I discovered that the back end of the motor had nearly fully broken away from the main body of the motor!!! This is something I've not sceen or heard of before. Its amazing to think that the motor & loco had ran at all.

This is the offending Mashima. The screwdriver is wedged in just to highlight the location & extent of the damage.

post-19016-0-67500900-1527546358_thumb.jpg

I had brought along a couple of motors just to show to a few people these being a couple of square 6pole motors available extremely cheaply on eBay.

One is 10mm square x 15mm in length & the other is 15mm square x 18mm. The one used as a replacement in the Neilson is the 10mm one & it is really powerful & torque-ee (is that a word? I doubt it) for its diminutive size. The mounting screws alined perfectly with the Highlevel gearbox re-using the M1.5 screws from the dead Mashima. A downside is that the shaft is only 1mm diameter so I made up a sleeve to allow it to fit the 1.5mm diameter worm. The other negative is that the top end of the motors rating is at 7.2v so not perfect for 4mm locos on a whole but the Neilson never runs at high speed & certainly isn't romping round & round a big tail chaser of a layout. While not being an expert I wouldn't think the motor is ever pulling a full 12v. I'm sure there might be some electrical wizards (who are experts) out there screaming no(!) but it ran the rest of the day & all day Sunday with no issues whatsoever, the quality of the running being equal to when i'd first built it. 

This is the 10mm motor fitted in place of the knackered (technical term) Mashima.

post-19016-0-71506000-1527547733_thumb.jpg

The two motors mentioned above. The larger one is 15mm square x 18mm has a 2mm diameter shaft & is 12v so a contender for medium/large 4mm locos.

post-19016-0-50843600-1527547745_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all of the people that made it to RailEx & stopped by the layout.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris, try a blob of blutac or similar on the tortoise fulcrum. Stops them slipping but means you can still adjust. Very high tech...

Huh, those 7mm guys, always with their precision engineering advice.

• Like 1