The Mill

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Something called a model railway show Mike. Nope, me neither.

A show? I thought that was an American thing?

I thought that in the UK, we tended to make an exhibition of ourselves... ...but it was so long ago, I might have mis-remembered.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to the article in BRM, and this thread, I now know that what I've been calling 'loading hoods/covers' are called 'lucams'!

You learn something new every day *shuffles off to edit website descriptions* :lol:

Edit: and I've no Idea how I've never found this thread before!

Edited by jrb

• RMweb Premium

Yep, I'm still alive folks although not doing much in the way of modelling at the moment. You'd think that the various lockdowns would have been the perfect opportunity but somehow, I've had less time. The bug is still there though and I do keep getting tempted to indulge in some modelling although what that will entail is still in question (unlikely to be pacifics and a rake of shiny coaches though).

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Also, when Parkside/Peco released their 13 ton hopper, I had to get one (well, two). Over the weekend, I have spent far too long fettling this; great kit but I wasn’t 100% happy with the fit of certain parts and also wanted to drill out the buffer beam to add white metal buffers, etc, which meant a bit of modification to the underside of the platform, which also then allows for lead to be added, to give some weight to it.

I tackled the handrails at this point to make it a bit easier (I think).

6A1364BC-82DA-4835-BD94-372C9190AC6D.jpeg

850D56CF-7590-4130-8952-F47DC565CB33.jpeg

397DB536-DF0F-4A62-8701-5519950C5169.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Jason T said:

Also, when Parkside/Peco released their 13 ton hopper, I had to get one (well, two). Over the weekend, I have spent far too long fettling this; great kit but I wasn’t 100% happy with the fit of certain parts and also wanted to drill out the buffer beam to add white metal buffers, etc, which meant a bit of modification to the underside of the platform, which also then allows for lead to be added, to give some weight to it.

I tackled the handrails at this point to make it a bit easier (I think).

6A1364BC-82DA-4835-BD94-372C9190AC6D.jpeg

850D56CF-7590-4130-8952-F47DC565CB33.jpeg

397DB536-DF0F-4A62-8701-5519950C5169.jpeg

Good idea doing the handrails at this stage; I put off doing them on mine for so long that I managed to lose some of the brake gear in the meantime!

Great to hear that The Mill is still around and that you're finding a bit of time for wagons.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My thinking (probably flawed) was that if I waited until the body was on the chassis, it would have been way harder to bend the handrail after threading it through the supports, and doing so would probably have wrecked them. No way I would have been able to thread a ready bent handrail through either.

One thing I did notice is that the steps at diagonally opposite ends of the chassis aren’t present (unless I am missing something); there’s the vertical backplate but no steps. Thinking of fashioning some from brass as I can’t see how plastikard ones will last for any length of time 

• Like 1

Well hi Jason, nice to see you back. I think I've been suffering the same sort of mojo lack plus being too busy with work and other things, as for modelling, more like 'fiddling about' and not getting very far however I'm still going to the club to work on the layout with all the wiring done and trains being run but as I say not much getting done at home although some more locos have been converted to EM but I can't be arxed finishing them..... I'm not even on this place much these days and just happened to come across your post by chance.

Buffers for that old wagon could be B034.

All the best,

Dave.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Dave, glad to hear you are still fettling, even if not getting the time you want to push on with the layout. Cheers for the advice on the buffers, I knew you'd know :)

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

And more. the photos were ones that Chris and I took for the MRJ article but in the end Karl (Crowther) took a load of far better photos. They were also taken prior to the two Rustons being completed.

The final one obviously shows the sector plate/fiddle yard.

Jason RSH shunting long view 1.jpg

Chris Lucam horse and wagons 1.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

And just to show that the bug hasn’t completely gone, I have been continuing with the building of the 13 ton hopper and a Parkside van, a bit still to do with both (as can be seen)

image.jpg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Good to see this is still getting the TLC it deserves.

Not that much at the moment Ian, but plans are afoot.

I didn't lose interest as such, it's just that life kind of got in the way for a while, I have precious little space in the house and bicycles kind of took over again (been a passionate mountain biker since, well, since they first came out basically).

And then I started a YouTube channel, so at least some 'creativity' was kept alive with editing although to be honest, they're pretty basic. The below is probably the only video that doesn't contain bicycles (so probably bearable for non-mountain bikers :D ).

I was pondering on whether to start a separate channel for railway modelling, sort of do it in the same style as my mountain bike ones (being brutally honest, being a bit controversial, trying to add a bit of humour, not taking the hobby too seriously) but I'm not sure it would go down too well :).

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 11/01/2023 at 19:14, Jason T said:

As all the photos (as far as I can tell) of the layout were removed last year due to the server issues, this thread is probably a bit confusing now. There's no way I can go back and re-add all the ones of the construction of the layout (not sure I still have them) but I do have these ones that show it in it's (almost) completed form

Jason Finally got the damned water tower in shot 1.jpg

Mill overall.jpg

Jason close up of coal drops 1.jpg

So, why did you call the layout "The Mill"?...

• RMweb Premium
On 11/01/2023 at 21:43, Jason T said:

Not that much at the moment Ian, but plans are afoot.

I didn't lose interest as such, it's just that life kind of got in the way for a while, I have precious little space in the house and bicycles kind of took over again (been a passionate mountain biker since, well, since they first came out basically).

And then I started a YouTube channel, so at least some 'creativity' was kept alive with editing although to be honest, they're pretty basic. The below is probably the only video that doesn't contain bicycles (so probably bearable for non-mountain bikers :D ).

I was pondering on whether to start a separate channel for railway modelling, sort of do it in the same style as my mountain bike ones (being brutally honest, being a bit controversial, trying to add a bit of humour, not taking the hobby too seriously) but I'm not sure it would go down too well :).

Loved the video, think you've missed your vocation in life! Some absolute classic 'Jason' lines, brilliant.

• Funny 1