The Mill

• RMweb Premium

It is mate, and is an MAJ plastic kit which I believe are no longer available but do pop up from time to time. Chris picked up three from somewhere, one of which he has kindly given to me to build up (they lasted into BR days).

Not started mind yet but from all accounts (well, from what Chris told me), they are a joy to build and the mouldings are up there with the latest Parkside offerings despite being a few decades old. I have some fancy etched brass brake levers for mine too. :)

• Like 3

Is that the ex-L&Y van which appeared in primer in a previous post? It's very nice. Meant to ask about its origins, I assume its a kit, is it a D&S?

Evening Mark

Yeah, as Jason says it's an old MAJ plastic kit, they crop up on eBay now & then. The mouldings are really nice & crisp, it doesn't come with any provisions for creating the roof door (which is optional depending what your modelling) but dose have a sketch & info to help guide you. The under frame is a standard spru that covers a few different variations so you end up with some nice left over bits, also it comes with very nice turned brass buffers. With the same refinements to the brakegear as all the other wagons are getting you'd never know it is a much older kit. I think though I might go back & fit the etched brake lever & pin down loop to it because it will just bug me after a while.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info, looks like an interesting wagon and very nicely built too.  If you have got/can get the right shape of etched brake lever I'd say it would be well worth doing, improves durability of stock for an exhibition layout too.

Still a bit miffed there's no bufferstops, not even one..... TFIC

Looking superb Jason.

Dave Franks.

Evening Dave...

Sadly no need for one of you excellent conventional buffer stops on the Mill but if something like this was available we'd defiantly put it into service on the coal drops for the layout.......

post-19016-0-71838300-1436049328_thumb.jpg

Chris

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Just over a week to go now until the layout's debut exhibition at Goathland and although it won't be anywhere near finished, the pressure is really on to get it as far along as possible. As the layout is at Chris's house now, I have been getting on with what I can, namely the boiler / engine house which is pretty far on, and weathering wagons. I had an hour last night and 40 minutes this morning before setting off for work, so managed to get these two done. The rusty patches on the mineral wagon still need a wee bit more texture and the inside is a tad streaky so will have another coat at some point.

post-9707-0-60986700-1436341511_thumb.jpg

post-9707-0-04939900-1436341530_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Less than a week to go and I have hopefully completed one of the more fiddly bits, namely the doors for the coal drops (the drops at Halifax are inspiration in case you are curious). I say hopefully, as they have been built away from the layout so fingers crossed they fit.

You will notice that there are five, the sideways lever was an early experiment and one like this is evident at Halifax but the rod and cranks type is more prevalent. Once on, a brass rid will be added as the pull lever, the holes already drilled.

It has taken about sux hours to complete them all, the individual parts being cut en masse before starting. We did think about making them from brass but dare I say we would have struggled to get them as fine?

post-9707-0-22228400-1436692782_thumb.jpg

post-9707-0-40000400-1436692801_thumb.jpg

post-9707-0-98498800-1436692842_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Morning Jason, have ever considered changing careers and becoming a watch maker, that is so delicate mate, really good workmanship. I have to ask, does it actually work, because it looks like it does?

• RMweb Premium

Funnily enough, I was saying to Chris last night that I could have made them work because if the doors weren't glued in, they would move up the guides, and at one one point, the rod with the cranks on did turn but I had to glue it all together for strength.

• Like 4

Hi Jason, can I be serious for a moment and not mention - you know what. But those coal drops are just superb, I envy your patience and skill with the plastic stuff.

All the best,

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Gold

Those doors really are stunning pieces of modelling Jason. This is the sort of thing that keeps me coming back to your threads. Bacup and now The Mill are both huge inspirations, as well as good lessons in "how to...". Now I'm looking forward to the paint job and weathering on those hoppers. The overall quality of modelling that you've both achieved on The Mill is incredible.

One quick question though (and sorry if I missed it): Is there a reason that the rightmost drop has no wall/doors? Does the history storyline tell of the mechanism being removed as the capacity was no longer needed. I like the way it looks with just two out of three, but am curious as to the reason.

Kind regards, Neil

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neil,

there was no back story until now, I just liked the way it looked. Basically the wood in that drop became unstable so they removed the hopper; there was no need for a third cell so it was never replaced.

• Like 4