The Mill

Afternoon all......

Quick little update. After Jason & I had our first real get together regards jobs to do on The Mill Jason had a great idea of having a small girder bridge at the left-hand end of the layout where the engine house will sit allowing you to see through to a set of doors in the mill set at a lower level where the drive shaft from the engine house enters the mill to drive the pulley wheels.

So i've cut out a section of the board to allow for this & re-attached part of it at the low level.

post-19016-0-06471500-1413642669_thumb.jpg

Also we have decide to have the lower front rise up to  the loading shed hopefully helping to add more dynamic to the scene. Its only a slight lift but i should help.

post-19016-0-20808900-1413642825_thumb.jpg

You will note it sits quite well on the legs i've made for it, currently in the spare room at my house. 

I've started to mark out for cutting the recess out for the sector plate/cassettes to sit in, (the funny egg-timer shape drawn on the board) but a slight tweak to the templot has ment i need to wait for the updated print out before cutting it out. My plan is to remove that piece drawn on the board & then underneath board over the hole so that the cassettes made from the same 9mm ply as the top will sit at the same level. the scenic track will be laid on cork s to make this difference up i thought about having a thin veneer of plasticard on the underside of the cassette & the same on the top of the reassessed part to allow them to slide with ease.

post-19016-0-55482600-1413643696_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Chris

• Like 8

Me again..

Also have been making quite good progress with the little High Level 12" Neilson kit, its a real joy to put together.

post-19016-0-32647900-1413644967_thumb.jpg

post-19016-0-99881400-1413645018_thumb.jpg

post-19016-0-28096600-1413645590_thumb.jpg

post-19016-0-89264400-1413645623_thumb.jpg

Making the tank sub structure & then forming the tank sides from half etch parts (witch you get two sets in case you balls it up, very thoughtful) was nowhere near as hard as i was thinking it would be. Following the instructions to the letter seems to be the key to getting High Level stuff spot-on but i just couldn't help deviate slightly when forming the tank sides. It says to form the bottom curve first & them the top one & keep offering it up & adjusting to get a nice fit. What i did was formed the lower curve as instructed then i located the side piece using the locating tabs on the top edge of the side pieces (not seen in the pics, sorry) & then using a length of 1/8" bar i rolled down the piece forming it to the shape of the tank ends, it worked great first time. The sides are over size in length so once soldered in place you just file all the tabs & excess off to get a nice flush end.

Wasn't sure whether to put this on my workbench thread of on here but as its for The Mill it seems right to have it here.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 9

Hi Chris, nice work on the tressels they look very light weight as well.

Nice one.

Andy, Cheers...

Yeah the legs are pretty light, made from some 3mm MDF strips 100x600mm & 21x33mm PSE batten just glued & pined together. They sit at 3ft 6" when set out so the layout is at a good viewing hight. I think we'll just go with rope cut to length to keep them from splaying out.

I've made them 2ft wide so they offer more stability with the layout being so narrow, also we can/will use the extra space to house a little shelf to keep stuff while were working on it & also more room for essentials when exhibiting. 

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Chris-GNR
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

How things going? Am I to assume it's quiet as you are sorting our Bodge? You should add a little of the work here? So we can refer to it...the track build being of interest wether it is for the Mill or Britton........just in case bodge gets bored and starts ANOTHER thread...and then it is hard to find. 

I've often wondered about mounting a beer pump on the back of a layout - something I was going to do on one of the BCB fiddles.

I didn't in the end because the pumps were so expensive.!

I know where I can get my hands on a beer engine......

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all....

Another quick update on the Neilson.

post-19016-0-89639400-1416610838_thumb.jpg
post-19016-0-75716800-1416610907_thumb.jpg
post-19016-0-08415300-1416610927_thumb.jpg

Work on the body is now done minus the odd detail post paint. The last couple of days I've been working on the chassis & It's now a rolling chassis with horn guides & blocks fitted on the leading axle. I've made a modification to the driven axle. The final drive gear in the 108:1 gear box is a fixed gear so once fitted that's it, so, I've given myself the option of removing the rear axle, gearbox & motor as one unit.

I've cut the hole for the top hat bearing into a slot so the bearing slides up & down in it & made a retaining strap to hold it in place once fitted. I've used 16BA nuts & bolts & short lengths of 1.5mm tube soldered in to the half etch line showing where to remove for horn blocks. The bolts sit in the tube & the nuts are soldered to a thin strip of nickle silver off cut which acts as a clamp on the underside of the bearing holding them in place.

post-19016-0-68046300-1416611060_thumb.jpg
post-19016-0-72250600-1416611173_thumb.jpg
post-19016-0-51255700-1416611195_thumb.jpg

Just brake gear, cylinders & pickups next.

Cheers for now....
Chris

Edited by Chris-GNR
  • Like 10

Very true mate.....

But, it does mean i can get it fully finished, running & run it in before painting it. Once i've made up the gearbox & its hung on the axle i'll not need to take the wheels off the axles again. The GW wheel press & wheel puller has been a joy to use. I've had the wheels on & off the axles a couple of times & they are still very tight & totally square, very impressed

Chris 

Hi Both glad to see its all still progressing, what motor will you be using Chris?

Evening Andy.

It's designed to take a Mashima 1220 or 1224 flat can motors. I've got it with the 1224, so I'll need to trim the shaft at the brushes end of the motor to fit & no real room for a flywheel. But I have just been lining up a 1220 I already have & I'm thinking if I use that I might be able to get a flywheel in..... I'll keep you posted.

Cheers.

Chris

Edited by Chris-GNR

• RMweb Premium

I am sure you are all dying to know where we are up to with this........ :)

Chris and I spent a full day working on the layout and got more done than we expected to (I thought we'd send the day fancying around) and not only got the cork down but also most of the track, got two of the locos to the point that they have rolling chassis (the Pug and the Neilson), holes drilled for turnout actuation wires and electromagnet uncouplers and another wagon a stage further (total: six so far).

Chris got some shots just before we legged it to the Wakefield show on a fruitless mission to buy a load of cheap etched brass loco kits and D&S wagon kits.

• Like 1